Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > A-Kon

Unread 04-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
ex_mutants

Guinness World Record “Largest Gathering of Video Game Characters”

A-Kon® attempts to break a Guinness World Record
“Largest Gathering of Video Game Characters”

Dallas, Texas — On Saturday June 7th, at the Hilton Anatole, the anime convention A-Kon® will be attempting to breaking the Guinness World Record for the “Largest Gathering of Video Game Characters” The record is currently held by Finland, with 491, and we plan to beat that and bring the record to the United States, and more specifically, Texas for the first time! The participants will begin gathering at 10 am on the second floor of the Veranda Club for check in and costume verification. We plan to begin the counting process as soon as we meet our cap; which we have set at 625. We have set a cap so we will not be counting people into the next weekend; due to the overwhelming excitement this type of event has garnered in the past.

The specifics of the attempt are as follows:
The characters had to have started in video games. (What does this mean?) Well, Batman was in a video game in 1986, but he showed up in comics way back in 1936, so if you dress up as the Dark Knight, we won’t be able to count you. Sonic the Hedgehog was on TV and comics, true… but he started as a video game character in 1991. So if you show up as the blue spiny guy, you’re in!! The same would go for Mario, Phoenix Wright, etc.

If you’re a girl/guy dressing as the opposite sexed character (what’s called a genderbent character) it’s ok, as long as you stay true to the original costume. This rules out the racy Halloween costumes.

Divergent costumes; aka ‘Steampunk’ TouHou or Medieval Samus… Unless you can bring us a screencap of actual game footage of them INGAME… they aren’t acceptable costumes. Sure, they’re awesome, but not able to be counted, sorry.

Humanizing animal characters by just putting on a tail and pair of ears is not acceptable, either. It must be as close to the original character as possible.

Masks/headgear alone does not constitute a costume. Full outfits must be worn, to which masks/headgear can be a part of.

"A video game is an electronic game that involves human interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device." This means you can dress as a character from a computer, handheld, arcade, or console game!

A-Kon® is the oldest continually running, anime-based convention in North America.
Celebrating its 25th year in 2014, A-Kon® hosts anime fans and guests and offers other items of interest ranging from gaming to independent film, all in the quest to provide the best experience for the fans and bring the most engaging and educational entertainment to the anime community. In 2013, A-Kon® brought together 22,366 people from all over the world to celebrate all aspects of anime culture. An anticipated 23,000+ fans are expected to attend in 2014.
ex_mutants is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
RatixFarrence

I'm really seeing a great turnout in video game personas here! Everyone please show up to be counted so we can shatter this record!
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
Sufida

Sounds like a great idea that should be promoted more. I was planning on bringing Ellis from L4D2
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I know several of my friends will be wearing their video game costumes for this. At least five, maybe seven or so of them. I remember when they did this several years ago, but something wasn't documented right, so it didn't count. Let's hope they get it all right this time.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
BoP:M
Super Star!

I was there. I was the Mario with the box. Tag me or something if you see any pictures.
BoP:M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
Xheavensnagi

Sooo... did we do it? I was at A-kon but I think I missed being counted.
Xheavensnagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

No, they were only able to count 300-something people, there was a group on facebook about it and they posted the results in there. Apparently since they didn't get it this year they're going to try for it again next year.

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST
Friday: ChiChi (Dragonball Z) Saturday: Nico Robin (One Piece)
Sunday: Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) Monday: Original Design Moon Dress

DCC - Fan Days
Friday: Engineer (Star Trek) Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop)
Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

+2 (maybe 3) more later this year
Sinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote