Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Unread 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
SupComTabz

Fem!Harry Dresden (from the books)

So I want to do Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files books, but fem version. I'm struggling with the hat and the jacket. Harry wears a leather duster on the covers of the books which 1) is unattractive and 2) is way too hot for ComicCon. I'm trying to figure out what the fem version of that would be.

Also, I am stuck on a hat. Again, he wears a large cowboy style fedora. I'm thinking a cute small fedora, but I'm worried that would be unrecognizable.

Help!
SupComTabz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

For the duster, or duster analogue, you could look into something like an oilskin or canvas trench coat - you may need to make your own, since most women's trench coats are decidedly not oil skin. He doesn't get the leather duster until halfway through the first book, if I am remembering right, and prior to that, he wore a canvas duster. It'll still be a bit warm, but you'd be able to take it off when outside, at least.

And oh, that hat. Cover artists run rampant - he makes at least two references in the book to "I don't do hats" - but it is iconically associated with him. I'd be careful with getting the smaller fedoras - they have a different shape from what Harry wears, and could confuse the look potentially. Most have a curved and indented top, while Harry wears one that is almost completely flat across the top - finding a small one like that may be tricky.

But - a lot of what makes Dresden identifiable is the details and accessories. The Sheild bracelet, the pentacle, the rings, and the staff. All little things, but when added up, they can make a gender bent costume that more recognizable. Also, bonus, the staff can double as a hat and coat rack when it gets too warm.

Good luck! I can't wait to see what you come up with

1950s Celestia (MLP:FiM), Undead Death Knight Starter Gear (WoW),
Lorna Dane Serval Industries (X-Factor), Adult Loki (Loki: Agent of Asgard), 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote