Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 06-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Brea
Business Student

Critique my Anime North gallery?

Delete

Last edited by Brea : 10-06-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Lidaea
Frightened Rabbit

Wow, your shots are great! They're very focused, well lit, and charming poses to match! (:
As for critique, I would try to get a little bit more angle variation. I noticed a lot of your shots have a straight-forward style to them, pointing directly at-level, which is fine, it creates a very stern image, but for some things a higher angle or lower angle gives it a more dynamic visual depending on the character, the pose, and the attitude the cosplayer chooses to portray in character.
I know you said you haven't done a photoshoot, so I understand that you weren't working with changing the background, but the setting in a shoot can really affect the overall outcome as well. I'm aware though that these weren't official photoshoots, so it's not something to critique, but it's just my thoughts. (:
I just can't get over how effective your shots are, though. The colors are fantastic and I'm practically in love with your work! <3
As far as the other guys goes, that's a LOT of photoshop. There's a specific effect in photoshop that allows you to put in sunglare, and he seems to use it a lot. Really, he just clicked the glare icon, dropped it into the image, and pressed save.

Facebook
Lidaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Lidaea
Frightened Rabbit

Also, the more I look at his shots, the more I dislike it. This shot, for example, has way too much editing in it. His colors are off, the saturation is way too high, so much so that it's distracting. The background behind the two guys on the left is pixelized, which is also due to a choice of background blur, and the glare is far too misplaced in this image. Also, the cosplayer on the right is cut-off, and the image itself isn't centered. His images appear to be, overall, overly edited, unconcentrated, and very overbearing. That's only my opinion, though.

Facebook
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Brea
Business Student

Thanks for the advice Lidaea I will take all you said into consideration! Let me know when you get some con shots.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Lidaea
Frightened Rabbit

Will do! I'll probably post some here when the next local con comes up. c:
Good luck with future shoots, and keep it up, your work is brilliant!

Facebook
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
MDA
Destiny Productions

While your photos are crisp, there's two glaring composition issues that I cannot ignore. And I point it out to professional photographers who do this.

1 - cutting off tops of heads, limbs, props.
Cutting off the top of someone's head always looks weird depending on the shot, and I noticed a couple where it didn't work.
Cutting off certain parts of the body, such as part of a hand, cutting someone off at the knees, it is a big composition flaw.
Cutting off props - I notice this a lot and you can lose a lot of interest by cutting off part of a prop.

2 - Lack of head room. There is a severe lack of head room in many of your photos.

I went through art school, and while it may not be photography, composition is composition. And there is a lack of it.

Clarity and colour are one thing, but a good photo can be ruined if the composition is off.

2013 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Lidaea
Frightened Rabbit

MDA does have a point, cosplayers care about their entire outfit considering that they're probably put mounds of time and effort, or money, into their costume, so you want to try to get the whole thing in. Not to mention, like MDA said, it messes with the image itself if you only incorporate parts of the image.

Facebook