Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 11-17-2002, 11:06 AM   #1
Celine
Remember me?

Favorite Endings

I know I'm too picky when it comes to games, but I find that most of the times, game endings are usually quite disappointing... but I'm a real sucker for a cute and happy ending. I always felt that Suikoden (1 and 2) and Star Ocean 2 had especially weak endings. After I spend 40 or more hours on a game, I want something for all my efforts!

Suikoden's goes like: "Yay. You won the game. Here's one or two sentences about what each character went on to do." -_- Bah! The entire Suikoden games are fabulous, right up until you get to the dull and incredibly disappointing endings. However, Suikoden 2 does get some credit in my books for the Tinto ending. It isn't so much that the Tinto ending is a good ending, it's just fabulous that such an ending exists! If anyone here hasn't seen it, then you should, because it's rather surprising and nifty.

Star Ocean had tons of endings, but the final character interactions were all very short and mostly uninteresting. FF7 didn't even feel like it had an ending at all! I mean, nothing was resolved! The 'fake' ending of Lunar 2 annoyed me, but the real ending was a bit better. The 'bad' Chrono Cross ending... do I need to say more? Zelda (the SNES version) has one of the best endings ever ("and the master sword sleeps again, forever!" *cough* yeah, right!). When I was really little, I used to record some game endings that I really liked, like FF4. Kinda silly, but it spared me the trouble of having to defeat the final boss just to see the ending again.

So many endings are just completely forgettable! This really makes me sad. No game can truly be great without a fulfilling ending. If I don't get a sense of accomplishment after seeing the end, then... grrr... ^^ Does anybody else have endings that were particularly good/bad for them?

And this whole rant was brought to you by the power of FFIX. One of my favorite endings ever. I often load up my end-of-game file, just so I can watch it again and again. The Iifa Tree part... XD
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2002, 11:41 AM   #2
Squall
Woo-Hoo!!!

There are a ton of ending that I liked, extending from Chrono Trigger (depending which ending you got in that game), Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, FFX ending was sad to me but still nice, so mainly Squaresoft titles...
Also some Enix titles have good endings like Valkyrie Profile, and old school RPG's like Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia (one of my fav. old school rpgs)

but recently I liked the Kingdom Hearts ending which is really good
Unread 11-17-2002, 11:44 AM   #3
psythe

FF9 had a tremendous ending. Probably my second favorite.

I really think fighter games for what they are offer good "short movies" for endings as you get a different one every time you beat it with a different character.

My favorite ending though has to be Xenogears. Plenty of action, Cel shaded goodness, ^^; And a chance to see my favorite cast one last time at the end of the game.
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 11:51 AM   #4
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

Yeah.. what was that VII ending anyways?
The whole Red part was kinda.. meh.

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 11:55 AM   #5
Tenjou

I don't think I've ever ended a game. I'd like to see the Super Mario Bros. ending. ^^: If that game actually ever ends...
Unread 11-17-2002, 12:06 PM   #6
Studmaster
The King of Games!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenjou
I don't think I've ever ended a game. I'd like to see the Super Mario Bros. ending. ^^: If that game actually ever ends...
Acutally Super Mario Brothers does end. You have to finish it two times straight though. All it does is that is says you save the Princess, and The End. Nothing too spectacular.

As for my favorite ending.

Final Fantasy IV stands as my all time favotire ending ever. I must've finished that game 100 times to see that ending.
2004 has just begun. Are you ready to seize this new year, and grasp things never thought possible. Let go of the past, and the pain it may have bought. It is time to make the best of the present, to secure the future.

The 2004 Studmaster World Tour as of 11/25/03: Katuscon, Philly Gaming Classic (Satuday only), Anime Boston, Animazement Anime Next , Anime Expo, Otakon, Dragon*Con, Nekocon? Anime USA?, MagFest 3.0?
Studmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 12:20 PM   #7
Tenjou

[ Acutally Super Mario Brothers does end. You have to finish it two times straight though. All it does is that is says you save the Princess, and The End. Nothing too spectacular. ]

;_; That's it? Geez.. it took me about 3 years just to beat it once.
Unread 11-17-2002, 12:31 PM   #8
Sami
» star*stealing girl

> Final Fantasy IV stands as my all time favotire ending ever. I must've finished that game 100 times to see that ending.

YES!! I love that ending!! Definitely my favorite, to a wonderful game. ^___^

LOL Celine, I agree with you about Suikoden's ending.. ho hum..!

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:34 PM   #9
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

FF6 had a fabulous ending with the medeley of themes.

FF9 almost brought me to tears ;-;

Chrono Cross was very cool mixing real life shots.

But who can forget seeing the ending to Super Mario World for the first time! That was a FABULOUS ending!!! XD You got to see all the characters and it had funky cool music!
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:35 PM   #10
Recca-kun

Xenogears, by far. Small Two of Pieces is my favorite song and it brings back a lot of emotions and memories every time I hear it. I actually did record the ending at one point... ^_^;

FFIV is probably my second favorite ending, I used to play the last part all the time. Still my favorite FF, maybe I'll cosplay Edge sometime if I can shirk my princely responsibilities to try picking up a Rydia cosplayer (kidding, of course). But yeah, good stuff.

Possible FF7 Spoiler if someone hasn't finished it
Quote:
Originally posted by Chobrat
Yeah.. what was that VII ending anyways?
The whole Red part was kinda.. meh.
They showed the world 500 years later and it cuts to a shot of Midgar overgrown with plants and life since even though Shinra (and others) were looking for the Promised Land in which one of the reasons was to build a Neo Midgar, Midgar itself was sitting on it the whole time.
Recca-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 03:47 PM   #11
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Oooo...I thought the ending to Final Fantasy nine was cute, though instead up just hugging there SHOULD have been a kiss. -mumble mumble- At least Tidus and Yuna got that far.
Unread 11-17-2002, 04:06 PM   #12
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

The ending for FF4 and 6 were just beautiful along with Chrono Trigger's. Tales of Phantasia's ending is really sad and the ending for Lufia 2 almost made me cry.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 04:17 PM   #13
engrish

*spoiler*

I haven't finished too many games but I really liked the FF8 ending. The song eyes on me kinda grows on you. I feel kinda sorry for Laguna, poor Raine *wipes a tear* The scene with Seifer and his 2 friends fishing was kinda funny cause the poper looked like a pokemon ball. Overall the romance makes you feel nice and mushy inside.
Unread 11-17-2002, 04:22 PM   #14
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> > Final Fantasy IV stands as my all time favotire ending ever. I must've finished that game 100 times to see that ending.

Amen to that. A good, complete, SATISFYING ending.

Not only was it amazing and actually told you what the characters did with their lives (what a concept!), I saw that the 16 bit pixellized object of my adolescent lust had long blonde hair! (LOL, I loved Kain!)

Most video games fall short when it comes to their endings, FFVI particularily annoyed me in that respect, because I never knew what happened to Locke and Celes. FFIX was a lot better, even though I wish the other "lesser" characters got CGed endings too.

One of the few other endings I liked was Lunar. (The first, I never managed to finish the second) And FFVII. The "turn your world upside down" ending after the credits was just amazing.
Unread 11-17-2002, 04:32 PM   #15
Studmaster
The King of Games!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosiel
Most video games fall short when it comes to their endings, FFVI particularily annoyed me in that respect, because I never knew what happened to Locke and Celes.
That was the ULTIMATE problem with FFVI's ending. They had a whole 1/2 sequence (I taped it too) only to have it only cover their escape from Kefka's broken, ghetto ass tower?!? I would think with an half an hour they would show us almost everything that happens to the charcters we have grown to love.
2004 has just begun. Are you ready to seize this new year, and grasp things never thought possible. Let go of the past, and the pain it may have bought. It is time to make the best of the present, to secure the future.

The 2004 Studmaster World Tour as of 11/25/03: Katuscon, Philly Gaming Classic (Satuday only), Anime Boston, Animazement Anime Next , Anime Expo, Otakon, Dragon*Con, Nekocon? Anime USA?, MagFest 3.0?
Studmaster is offline   Reply With Quote