Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Creating designs on Kimono fabric

Hello! I apologize if this is the wrong category to post this in! I'm currently looking into cosplaying as Koujaku from DRAMAtical Murder, and I've come here because I'm absolutely stumped.

First off, despite all attempts, I'm terrible with traditional Japanese clothing. Is that a kimono or yukata or something else entirely? I figure it's incredibly important to know what I'm making before I make it.

The second hang up is the design on the one sleeve and the bottom (the picture on the right in the reference is accurate). I have no idea how to recreate that on fabric. I suppose I could always go another route and purchase the outfit, but I'd really hate to do that. Does anyone have any ideas? All I can think of right now is fabric paint or applique, but I'm not sure how well those would turn out. Embroidery is a possibility, too, but it would take a small eternity because I'd have to hand embroider it.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make this design, please let me know!!

In-Progress Cosplay
Sephiroth - FFVII: Advent Children - 5%
Agent Maine- Red vs Blue - 5%
Hiccup - HTTYD2 - 80%

The Bet Is Off
tumblr
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

The photo won't display, but I googled it.

Based on the motif placement that's a kimono; yukata are very informal and always have all-over patterns.

I think your best option is to hand-paint it. Traditionally that would be hand-dyed onto white silk, but that process is very tricky.

One option would be to start with white natural-fiber fabric (silk or cotton), and then hand-dye the gradient effect. Then you can use fabric paint to paint on the details.

The other option would be to start with red fabric (can be synthetic), airbrush the gradient, then hand-paint the details.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote