Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

New Camera: Accessories to Consider?

Hello, all!

When buying a new camera, there are obviously a lot of accessories to consider. What types of lenses do you usually carry for con photography? Is this drastically different for private photoshoots? How many memory cards do you purchase, and how many do you carry with you at a given time? What about extra batteries? Hoods? Flashes, filters, polarizers? Anything else?

I'm curious to hear from the experts what you all consider 'the essentials'!

(Personally, I'm looking at a Canon T4i with a 18-135mm lens. I would love some specific recommendations about items to consider for that camera/associated lens, but I figured general accessory recommendations for newer photographers could come in handy for other people too!)
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Brea
Business Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Hello, all!

When buying a new camera, there are obviously a lot of accessories to consider. What types of lenses do you usually carry for con photography? Is this drastically different for private photoshoots? How many memory cards do you purchase, and how many do you carry with you at a given time? What about extra batteries? Hoods? Flashes, filters, polarizers? Anything else?

(Personally, I'm looking at a Canon T4i with a 18-135mm lens. I would love some specific recommendations about items to consider for that camera/associated lens, but I figured general accessory recommendations for newer photographers could come in handy for other people too!)
A 16GB SD card should suffice you. Make you get at least a Sandisk Ultra or higher rated SD card so that your camera does not slow you down. I don't really use hoods unless I'm using an external flash - hoods are unnecessary unless there is alot of sun pointing towards the camera that could cause lens flare in your photos. The T4I has a flash on it but most people prefer an external flash. If you decide to get one, make sure you learn about high speed sync and when to use an external flash. Filters are unnecessary unless you plan to take shots in the desert or something. Polarizers aren't needed unless you're shooting at sunlight or something. I only have 1 battery and I charge it the night before the next day of the con. If you hate carrying a camera on your neck for long periods of time, make sure you get camera bag that will allow you to take your camera and back every quickly.

GET A LENS PEN. Don't wipe the front element of your lens with clothing/etc. And don't worry about tiny dust speckles on your lens if you haven't touched it - it won't affect your image quality.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
Access

Basically a portrait prime, 50mm or 85mm, a standard zoom (which you already have), and extra batteries and cards if you plan on doing video.

For the summer cons, water and emergency food supply. Don't take too much because you'll just end up tiring yourself early.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Rander

Quote:
Hello, all!

Hello, here are my thoughts:
The # of SD cards would depend if you are shooting RAW or JPG. More if you are shooting RAW. Maybe a 16 gb and an 8gb.

Extra camera battery, it depends on how many pictures you take a day, the manual should have how many shots are estimated for fully charged battery

I always use hood, not for flare prevention but for protection. Its easy to bump into people, walls or props at a con. You want to protect the lens as much as possible.

Filter is up to you there is a whole debate of using filters for protection vs not. Its whatever you are comfortable with.

I say you don't need a polarizer when first starting out.

Other things if you are going with a Canon T4i with a 18-135mm lens:

1. A good camera bag: You're going to storing expensive equipment while traveling or general storage. You can get the AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories-Black for about $30 and spend a lot more.
2. Flash since your lens won't be a "fast" one. You Bower, Youngnuo, Phottix to Canon. Price range $50 to $500
3. Rechargeable AA's for your flash.
4. "faster" lens 50 mm/1.8. About $100.

You can use the same equipment for a private shoot.

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Starting from the beginning you must need buys will be:
1) Any bag will do - If you get into photography, your first bag won't be your last nor will the 2nd,3rd,or 4th. Just don't blow too much on it being your first bag
2) Batteries - Definitely get at minimum one extra. I just switched cameras going from Pro-level batteries to regular consumer cameras. I ran out of power. And have your charger somewhere near the location. As in your car/room. Carry one extra or have it nearby.
3) Memory cards - Don't skimp too much. This day in age try not to buy smaller than 16GB IMO. Without going into deep details at minimum look for CLASS 10 or UHS-I on the card. There are varying qualities of brands. Have one extra at minimum. I'm assuming you'll have a laptop or something to dump memory to in the room/car. If not. Buy more memory.
3a) Speaking of memory. Buy a memory card reader. And its another don't skimp on this one. I've had cheap readers corrupt cards badly.

Optional - UV Filter. I use them. I also wipe the front of my lens off with my t-shirt because of it when i can't find a microfiber cloth.

2nd round of buying is:
-- 50MM/1.8 The cheap one that works with your camera in autofocus (Nikon some cameras can't use the cheap $99 and have to spend $200). This will be your entry into "Fast Glass". With this you'll understand why your kit lens is considered "slow"

-- Flash - First party (Nikon/Canon) will cost you the most. Second tier (Sigma/Nissin/Sunpak/Metz) make sure you read the descriptions and look for E-TTL(canon) in your case. And 3rd tier is any other name that's cheaper and of questionable quality. They might have E-TTL in the description. But does it work

So use that for about 6 months minimum then you'll have to review and figure out the rest of what you need.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Personally, I'm looking at a Canon T4i with a 18-135mm lens.
The posters above cover most of the stuff needed for a con shoot. Things like extra batteries and memory cards are common items.

Spending $$$ on photo gear can get crazy so I would ask myself what kind of photography are you planning to shoot? I know a photog that carries nothing more than a Canon T3i and 18-135 lens and captures some of the most interesting photos and videos I've seen. She doesn't burdened herself with humping bags of gear around the con.

On the other hand, if you're looking to shoot in difficult situations (bright noon sun, no flash night photography, highly reflective surfaces like water, etc) then you probably need special gear to help.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Quote:
I'm looking at a Canon T4i with a 18-135mm lens.
If you can live without the touch screen (most photographers do) and aren't planning on using the new video AF features, you can save money with a T3i instead. And if you can live without a flip-out rear screen, you can save even more money with a T2i. They all use the same sensor so you're not really taking a hit on image quality.

Looks like everyone else covered the essentials pretty well.

If you're shooting all day, you probably want a better strap system. The regular neck strap gets pretty uncomfortable with extended use. BlackRapid is a popular alternative. Some competitors are the Cinch and the Sun Sniper. I like the Spider Holster.

Also bring a pen and print some cards to hand out.
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Rex Surrection
Scott Oma

I've got a T3i. Are the above recommendations the same for making convention videos primarily (especially indoor shots)? Do I need a zoom lens?
Rex Surrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Surrection View Post
I've got a T3i. Are the above recommendations the same for making convention videos primarily (especially indoor shots)? Do I need a zoom lens?
Kinda depends on what type of videos you plan on making...

Flash is useless for video, so skip it.
A normal range zoom is what most people prefer for video. And get a lot of extra cards and batteries since video fills up space and drains batteries rather quickly.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Brea
Business Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Surrection View Post
More importantly... for videos you should look into a stabilizer if you want to make some convention videos.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rander View Post
1. A good camera bag: You're going to storing expensive equipment while traveling or general storage. You can get the AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories-Black for about $30 and spend a lot more.
Begin the endless journey in finding the perfect bag! You will have more bags than you will ever imagine!

Other than what's already been mentioned, I find ziploc bags, gaffer's tape, and napkins to be very useful.

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote