Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
ChocOtaku

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) Help please?

So my friend got me into this anime (best/worst thing that could happen to me: it's awesome, but I didn't need any more unhealthy obsessions). I want to be Armin for San Japan in August (I gots time, thank goodness), but IDK how to make the harness/belts/strap thingies.

I basically need some ideas for materials (pleather, leather, even twill, so long as it looks nice) and a good idea of how the heck I'mma do this. Do you think maybe grosgrain ribbon would work for some of the straps themselves (not the big back plate)? I know it's supposed to look like leather, but I don't mind it being a little inaccurate, so long as it looks good. I'm open to taking liberties in the design of this, mainly because I'm on a budget and can't afford to make it both awesome AND accurate (unless there's a cheap way to do that). If there are tutorials or resources ANYWHERE for this, help would be GREATLY appreciated.
ChocOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
AydensGrace
Shutterbug.

The best thing I can recommend for you to do is simply drive over to your local Goodwill and Salvation army stores and start hunting for belts. Match the color as much as you can. You could use pleather and a Joanns coupon for the larger pieces--reinforce it with something to make it stiff. Perhaps sew a layer of craft foam in between the leather?
AydensGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
ChocOtaku

Well, I decided to use some belt material (not leather, more like a nylon kinda thingie). Now I just need to know how to make it. (I bought 12 yards of this stuff 'cause I have no idea how much I'll need).
ChocOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

All of the strapping my girlfriend does for is is a pleather vinyl sewn to each other on both sides giving a good belt effect that not only is durable enough to be load bearing but also fairly inexpensive.

Additionally I am working on 3DMG and posting daily updates on my twitter so people can use my build progress to help their own. Hope that helps!

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
luukaa

Well, technically you don't have to make the entire back harness if you plan on wearing the jacket, correct? Other than that it's just lots of belts.
luukaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

you know i saw some harnesses that have the exact same structure in Dick's Sporting Goods today! they were in the crossbow section. if your confused about it as a last resort maybe you could look into those and try to find a pair that looks the most like what u need? here is what a crossbow harness looks like: or you could find a pattern or making instructions for a crossbow harness and modify it a bit to be more accurate then make it!
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Can't tell you about the harness and series of straps but I can tell you that, this is the fabric I'll be using for the jacket.

Last edited by Mykaios : 07-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

^ havent u been posting that on nearly every snk thread? im sure u realize theres a very low chance people live near u and that u can cosplay together. let alone, ur using TWILL for a jacket that would look so much more professional with pleather. sorry im just going to be honest and say frankly, im annoyed at how often ive seen u post that exact same thing in multiple snk threads, not even bothering to help the person asking for help, and not even paying attention to the theme of the thread. ok sorry for the mini-rant.
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosplayJelly View Post
^ havent u been posting that on nearly every snk thread? im sure u realize theres a very low chance people live near u and that u can cosplay together. let alone, ur using TWILL for a jacket that would look so much more professional with pleather. sorry im just going to be honest and say frankly, im annoyed at how often ive seen u post that exact same thing in multiple snk threads, not even bothering to help the person asking for help, and not even paying attention to the theme of the thread. ok sorry for the mini-rant.
Actually, the OP asked for material suggestions for the whole cosplay, so I'm not sure your rant was particularly necessary in this case.

Also pleather isn't particularly professional. IMO, the jackets don't seem to move or fold like leather (if you're going to do something in pleather, you may as well do it in actual leather), and I can't imagine they would waste that much leather on military who are probably going to get eaten. Twill IS, however, used for military uniforms quite often.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

but.. but it looks nicer in pictures *n*
see? https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...71668181_n.jpg

excuse the lightness of my jacket's color- https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...7e38fbbc8cd8f2
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!

Last edited by CosplayJelly : 07-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.