Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 06-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
lilidani15

Exclamation First group of cosplays for AX-Need help as far as construction

Hello, I'm Lili and I'm a beginner at cosplay, I'm currently trying to make about four cosplays for AX this year so yeah.

These are the cosplays I'm definitely doing:
  • Her Imperious Condescension- Homestuck
  • Calcium Miku-"Bacterial Contamination" Miku
  • Batter in monster form- OFF (game)

And these are the cosplays I'm thinking about:
  • Big Sister- from Bioshock
  • Adorabeezle Winterpop- Wreck-It Ralph
  • Trickster!Jane and/or Roxy- Homestuck
  • Human!stuck Aradia- Homestuck
  • Mabel Gleeful- Reverse Pines AU
  • Mabel Pines- Gravity Falls

Now I have no idea where to start for wigs, gray makeup, and contacts, that are for a cheap price but good quality,so I'd like to know where to start

Also if there's a masterlist of cosplay tutorials or anything that's be much appreciated too
For the most part I need long wigs for most of my cosplays so I also need to find out about that as well.

Thank you, it'll be much appreciated if anyone answers :3

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

The issue is that ax is in 2 weeks. You aren't going to be able to get good contacts by then. For wigs it'll b Epiccosplay. Are u making or buying the costumes?
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
o01101011
Just call me Digit

We cant really help without pictures.

However if AX is in two weeks, you're limited to Ardawigs and epic cosplay wig wise. You're out of luck contact wise, and if you're having to MAKE 3+ costumes in two weeks, you'd be best off focusing on one instead of 3+.
o01101011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm making one costume in three MONTHS. I would highly suggest you focus on one that is simple enough that you can get the materials locally. Shipping alone can eat up a week or two.

Do you already have most of the parts of these or what's going on?

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Penlowe

Jumping in with both feet is fun! But at the same time can spread you too thin. Trying to make three cosplays in two weeks would be challenging even for an experiences sewist like Kelley or myself, if I was off work for the whole two weeks. And I can sew really fast.

Now, when you say "make" but your really mean "build" it might be possible if you have a good sized budget, like $300-500 to drop on this endeavor. Simply buying and assembling all the pieces, wigs & make up to set up three complete costumes in that time period is very doable, if you've got the cash.

So, that brings us down to "oh... didn't realize that."
Do not fret! Pick ONE costume, put all your time and budget and late nights into it, and yes, you can have an awesome cosplay in two weeks. Buy the parts that you can, make alterations where needed, built the truly original bits.

A lot of people pick a really simple cosplay as their second choice. There are so many 'real clothes' characters it's easy to have a back up plan that keeps you in costume, but not financially or time strained.

Have fun with it, but don't bite off more than you can chew either.
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

There's that old groan-inducing saying "Fast, Cheap, Good: Pick Two" And it's pretty much true and especially relevant to this situation.

I Googled some of the characters now that I'm home and if I was you and I only had like, less than three weeks to do this - I would drop these ones right now unless you already have them mostly done :

Calcium Miku-"Bacterial Contamination" Miku
Batter in monster form- OFF (game)
Big Sister- from Bioshock

You could sink well over 40 hours each into making the props and prosthetics for those ones.

If you already have a significant amount of work done on any of these, tell us.

Also, if you're looking for things like wigs - you will benefit greatly from linking to reference pictures. You'll get responses much, much faster - even people who are fans of a series can't often recall such details without a reference !

I think your best bets are :

Any of the Homestuck ones
Adorabeezle Winterpop
Mabel Gleeful
Mabel Pines

I don't even really know what Homestuck is because I'm old and uncool, but I know that costumes can range anything from T-Shirts with a symbol on them and bodypaint to ridiculously huge projects that people spent countless hours and dollar upon. This is good because you can get a solid costume from the lower end of that spectrum done in time - and do it well and even put in some creativity and "extras", which is why I think one of those is a good choice !

It's okay to only have one or two costumes for a given convention (as long as you bathe it's fine to wear the same one every day). Would you rather have four really hastily done and half-finished costumes or would you rather have one that's really solid ? If you don't care about quality I can totally respect that - just let us know what your goals are and we can better help you find solutions that meet them.

I'm just saying what I'm saying out of concern. Like many here I've seen people overextend themselves and get really disappointed when things don't work out - some even give up on cosplay entirely because of it. I don't want that to happen to you. I want you to be able to finish something that you can be proud of and have fun !

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
lilidani15

Alright, so I'll drop Calcuim Miku, Batter, and Big Sister because you're right those would be too muich in the short span of time. So I'll most likely focus on Her Imperious Condesce cosplay and just have that as my big project, then for other days I'll dress as Mabel Pines and Mabel Gleeful because those are simple cosplays, if I can find a hat like Adorabeezle Winterpop then I might be able to do that cosplay
These are the pictures of the cosplay I want to do:
Adorabeezle Winterpop
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...7s_%286%29.png
Her Imperious Condescension
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...riancestor.gif
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
lilidani15

I don't know whether the previous message was sent