Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
Msaju17
Unashamed Sasuke fan

Wearing glasses instead of contacts

This will be my first year at Anime Expo, as well as cosplaying, and I wear glasses. I absolutely hate contact lenses I will never wear them. Has anybody had any negative comments about wearing glasses for cosplays that don't have them?
Day 2: Izumi Curtis "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood"
Day 0: Japanese Lolita fasion or Tetsuo
Msaju17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Can't really answer the question since I don't wear glasses, but I've seen some cosplayers wearing glasses with their costumes and thought nothing of it. Might be a different story if you're trying to do a photoshoot and want to portray the character as accurately as possible, but it's better to be able to see and risk accuracy than to look accurate and walk around blind. Anyone who gives you trouble just for wearing glasses has issues and needs to do something better with their time.

Might I ask why you hate contacts?

In Progress:
  • Sailor Star Healer (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
  • Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
  • [Secret Project]

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Isikaru

It's easy for me to say "wear contacts", but honestly if I had to have a prescription...I would just go with glasses. It doesn't really bother me as long as people take them off for photos.
Isikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
Misseeriechan
Cosplay Noob

I walked around blind my first day at my first con. Would not recommend. Now I carry my glasses with me, put them on for finding rooms, browsing goods, during panels. I take them off for pictures and slip them onto the back of my collar. But my vision isn't that bad, I just can't recognize faces until the person is closer, or read signs with small print till i'm close. Noone that's worth talking to is going to give you hell for wanting to see.
Misseeriechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

I wear glasses, but I take them off if they don't make sense with the costume. My poor vision is primarily in one eye and it's not too bad so if I don't have to drive or watch anything far away it's not a big deal.

I used to be afraid of contact lenses but I'm thinking I'll do it this summer - it's not too expensive especially if I'm just buying cheap pairs for costumes and it will mean I can watch things far away on stages without having to break out my glasses.

I really don't want to carry my glasses around with me all day during an event because I'm afraid I'll end up getting them crushed when they're in a pocket - one of my main motivations for wanting to get contacts.

I'm sure that if you did it long enough you would eventually get a negative comment - that's just life. If you make a choice it's up to you to stand by it and not be bothered by people who disagree with it. I'm not saying that to make you feel bad, just being realistic - people will say mean things about almost anything it's unfortunately just too optimistic to pretend it would never happen.

Something you can do is get a pair of glasses that are less obvious if you want to minimise their impact - like ones with a thin metal frame or half/no frame. There are places online that sell eyeglasses for pretty cheap - even as cheap as $10-20 a pair. So if you got those it wouldn't be a big deal if they got lost or crushed because they wouldn't be expensive.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Junyoopai

I wore my glasses to Fanime 2013 cosplayed as Luke Fon Fabre and no one really cared about the glasses. Even got quite a lot of people who wanted me to take a photo with them! Not only that, but the glasses also helped prevent my wig from hitting my eyes!

Just wear your glasses! Sometimes your character might actually look better with glasses too xD.
Junyoopai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
rajamitsu

I've never had any negative comments. My eyesight is bad enough that I won't risk wandering around all day at a con without glasses and I have a horrible phobia of anything getting in/too close to my eyes, so I won't wear contacts. (Yes, this does make eye doctor appointments tons of fun...) I love cosplaying characters that actually do wear glasses, but I do plenty that don't have them.

I usually go around with them on and take them off for pictures. The only time I really forgot to do so was my very first time cosplaying. It became a habit very quickly to whip 'em off before a picture. Fortunately, most of my costumes have had someplace to stash them during the picture, like big pockets or a pouch, or have poses that work with one hand behind my back. If you have some sort of jacket, you can sew in a small loop to slip them into. (I can take a picture, if needed.) Just make sure to avoid hugs with that method, tho'.

I'd also second the recommendation of a thin rim/rimless pair if you're worried about taking them off or if taking them off repeatedly would mess up your wig too badly.

When it comes to gatherings or photoshoots, though, I usually leave them off longer and keep them in my bag. If you do this, do get a hard case to keep your glasses from getting crushed.

Really, the only problem I've ever really had is stealth photographers, but they're a pet peeve of mine, anyway.

Last edited by rajamitsu : 06-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I've seen a lot of people wear their glasses with their cosplays, then just take them off for the pictures.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Msaju17
Unashamed Sasuke fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooyong View Post
Can't really answer the question since I don't wear glasses, but I've seen some cosplayers wearing glasses with their costumes and thought nothing of it. Might be a different story if you're trying to do a photoshoot and want to portray the character as accurately as possible, but it's better to be able to see and risk accuracy than to look accurate and walk around blind. Anyone who gives you trouble just for wearing glasses has issues and needs to do something better with their time.

Might I ask why you hate contacts?
I've tried putting them in before, but they're irritating and painful. I'm also afraid something will get in my eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamitsu View Post
I've never had any negative comments. My eyesight is bad enough that I won't risk wandering around all day at a con without glasses and I have a horrible phobia of anything getting in/too close to my eyes, so I won't wear contacts. (Yes, this does make eye doctor appointments tons of fun...) I love cosplaying characters that actually do wear glasses, but I do plenty that don't have them.

I usually go around with them on and take them off for pictures. The only time I really forgot to do so was my very first time cosplaying. It became a habit very quickly to whip 'em off before a picture. Fortunately, most of my costumes have had someplace to stash them during the picture, like big pockets or a pouch, or have poses that work with one hand behind my back. If you have some sort of jacket, you can sew in a small loop to slip them into. (I can take a picture, if needed.) Just make sure to avoid hugs with that method, tho'.

I'd also second the recommendation of a thin rim/rimless pair if you're worried about taking them off or if taking them off repeatedly would mess up your wig too badly.

When it comes to gatherings or photoshoots, though, I usually leave them off longer and keep them in my bag. If you do this, do get a hard case to keep your glasses from getting crushed.

Really, the only problem I've ever really had is stealth photographers, but they're a pet peeve of mine, anyway.
I'll remember that, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapthefatcat View Post
I've seen a lot of people wear their glasses with their cosplays, then just take them off for the pictures.
Oh yeah, I will. If I keep them off for more than 30 minutes, I get a bad headache and my eyes keep crossing.
Day 2: Izumi Curtis "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood"
Day 0: Japanese Lolita fasion or Tetsuo
Msaju17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
cinnabubbles
Sugar and Rainbows

My girlfriend and I both wear glasses. We haven't gotten any 'lip' about wearing them and sometimes even take them off for photos. *points at profile pic* Leaves us both blind for a bit, but no issues from others about them.

Connect With Me Socially: Tumblr / Facebook / Twitter
cinnabubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
yamibakura03
aka Ludger03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyoopai View Post
I wore my glasses to Fanime 2013 cosplayed as Luke Fon Fabre and no one really cared about the glasses. Even got quite a lot of people who wanted me to take a photo with them! Not only that, but the glasses also helped prevent my wig from hitting my eyes!
Just wear your glasses! Sometimes your character might actually look better with glasses too xD.
This is true. My brother wears glasses and when he cosplays Emil (TOS2), it does prevent his wig from poking his eyes plus it blends well with his wig. You'll have to be close to him to noticed he's wearing them.

When it comes to eyesight, I pretty much don't care if cosplayers have them or not. One time I wanted to take a picture of cosplayer and she excused herself for not removing her glasses. I told her that was fine since most people need them to see better. Reminds me, I need to go to the doctor soon. Its been years that I stopped wearing glasses and from time to time, I noticed I squint alot. So that is a sign thats telling me to go back and re-evaluate my eyesight.
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
KatyCruel

I'm physically unable to wear contacts, so I have to wear glasses. I've only ever gotten one negative comment on them, and that was over DeviantArt.
However, I do have a second pair of "cosplay glasses" - a rimless silver pair that's practically invisible. They're the best. XD

2013 Con Season!
- No-Brand Con (Eau Claire, WI - April 12-14) DONE!
- Anime Detour (Minneapolis, MN - April 19-21) DONE!
- Animinneapolis (Minneapolis, MN - June 28-30)
- MetaCon (Minneapolis, MN - August 30-September 1)
- TeslaCon (Madison, WI - October 31-November 3)
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
sandra03

i have really sensitive eyes, i can't imagine even attempting to put contacts in. so i'll be wearing my glasses and totally know that they won't go with any of my cosplay choices, but so be it. i plan to take them off for pictures and keep them on the rest of the time *shrug*
i could get away with not wearing them since my vision isn't soooooo bad, but i'd end up with a massive headache most likely. once i pull my costumes together if the glasses really look horrible i might just keep them in my bag so i at least have them if i need them or start to get a headache.

that reminds me though, I have a backup pair that have a much less visible frame, but need to be adjusted since they dig in behind my ears and hurt after a while. if i can actually remember to go in and get them adjusted i can wear those instead of my thick dark frames at least
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Garuda_Aiacos
Waitin 4 Behemoth Violate

IMHO, put away the Glasses when having your photo taken, but go ahead and wear one when you're walking around the event. You can carry a small pouch or add hidden pocket in your costume to put the Glasses away when posing.

Just my 0.02, it kinda ruined a Cosplay if see a character that is not wearing Glasses, wearing one visibly in Photos.
But then again, the standards of Cosplay in my country is higher and judgemental and Contact Lenses are cheap even from the Optician, hence that mentality.
I had been through the road of wearing Glasses before with my Cosplay for several years, anyway but I usually try to remember to take them off when posing for photos (Ps: My Eyes Degree is very High FYI, 7.5 in both eyes with Astigmatism. That's why I'm a bit "blind" when I'm wearing Contacts as those Off-the-rack kind dun cater to my Astigmatism)

And a little advice about Contact Lenses, for Monthly or Yearly Disposable ones, remember to Rinse the Lenses with Contact Lenses (Cleaning) Solution first before wearing; best to soak it for several hours or Overnight in the Contact Lenses Solution.
From my own experiences, some company used very "hard" Storage Solution for their Monthly/Yearly Lenses, which can hurt your eyes if you immediately wear the lenses from the original package.
Then there are also certain brands that might not be suitable for your eyes (I had that problem too with one series of Contact Lenses) so unless you're sure your eyes are sensitive, might want to try different brands first to see which suit you best, BEST if you get those Lenses sold at Optician Shops as they should be safe.
And make sure your Lenses are not flipped too; one time I found the one of the Lenses I just removed from the original package to be that way.

SAINT SEIYA THE LOST CANVAS Hades Alone
SAINT SEIYA SUPER MUSICAL Athena Saori
SAINT SEIYA OMEGA Orion Eden
SAINT SEIYA THE LOST CANVAS Athena Sasha
Garuda_Aiacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I've seen people wear glasses that aren't part of their costumes. I think it's perfectly fine as long as they don't have really crazy frames that clash with the costume (it should be something understated, with black or silver, preferably thin, frames).

In progress: Booker Dewitt - ~100%; Connor Kenway - on hold; Mad Max - 100%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - 15%; Jaime Lannister - 25%; Mal Reynolds (improved) - 15%

Future/considering: Edward Kenway, Daryl Dixon, Arno Dorian, improved Vash, Anakin Skywalker or Han Solo
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote