Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 06-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
KanraKami

A few questions from pale skin to eyelashes.

Hiya fellow cosplayers, I guess I'll start off with my super pale skin.

I was wondering what might be the best concealer and foundation that would not darken my pale skin, as I would like to stay as pale as possible to preserve that fair-skinned anime look, but also cover any blemishes and keep my skin nice and even. Currently I'm using TruConceal and TruBlend from covergirl. They both have the number 1 on them, and the smaller number on my concealer is 2207, and 405 on the foundation. I honestly don't know which means which, embarrassingly I am terribly uneducated on the subject of make up, so I apologize. The concealer works well enough, not perfect. But the foundation doesn't seem to do much of anything, just make my face feel icky.

I'd like to get some advice for good eyeliners too. I used to have this amazing eyeliner pen, but way back when I lost the cap and it dried out. Since then I haven't been able to find the right eyeliner. I've been using liquid, but it's really difficult to work with, though it does work well. I bought another pen, but it sucks. When I use it it hardly does anything, at all. So my thought is I need to find a felt pen eyeliner that is waterproof, but not entirely sure. Would love to hear what you might suggest.

Now for the eyelashes. I have absolutely no experience with false eyelashes. I was looking on Wallgreens' website, and they are anywhere from like $1.50 to $7. Some come with glue, some don't, and some are pre-glued. Is it better to get more expensive ones, or are cheap ones fine. They aren't re-usable, right? I want to wear them for my Saber cosplay at Anime Expo, that's five days including Day 0, which is a lot of money to spend on falsies. Is there a better place to buy them, or somewhere where I can get a bunch of pairs in one?

Well, I'm pretty sure that covers everything I'm looking to find out, so hopefully I get some good feedback, thanks so much to anyone who can give me the answers I'm looking for! Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Edit: Also, I'd really like to know some of the best stores to get makeup /at a good price/ because I don't have much money. Like I mentioned before, was gonna try Wallgreens. Target too. Thanks again!

Last edited by KanraKami : 06-16-2013 at 09:08 AM.
KanraKami is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Don't know about pale foundation and concealer. Ani_Bee might have better recommendations.

As per eye liner, Revlon is nice. I've heard good things about the Maybelline liners. I use their gel liner and it's nice. Wet eyeshadow can also work instead of liner.

False lashes comes in three main varieties: full strip, accent, and individual. Individuals are usually disposable, which is why there are so many in each pack. Accent and full strip are reusable, as long as you take care of them, and don't get them gunky with glue and/or eye makeup. One set should last through a single convention, unless you plan on using different styles. Side note: don't share liner or lashes. Too many germs.

As far as places to shop, K-Mart, Rite Aid, Target, and Ulta all have good stuff. If you get a Wellness Card from Rite Aid, you can get amazing discounts on stuff (like BOGO 1/2 off, and 40% off).

Hope some of this helps!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I have super pale skin and I use l'oreal True match in the lightest color possible.It's a really smooth foundation that blends well and makes me skin look really smooth.

I just use whatever eyeliner I can find. xD

For false eyelashes I always go to http://www.madamemadeline.com/. They have really good prices and cute lashes.

I also shop at Target and Walgreens. (:
Good luck!!!
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
JustACostume

Manic Panic makes a line of super pale foundations, no concealer to my knowledge. Though the shade range is limited and may be hard to match, I suggest getting the white liquid foundation and mixing it with a foundation that's slightly to dark.
JustACostume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Khorrupt

I can't really help with foundation, but as far as concealer, NYX makes an HD concealer that's meant for taking photos (and it covers really well).

As far as eyeliner, I like the Superslim L'Oreal eyeliner because it stays on, and it's really easy to put on (since the brush is so skinny, it's hard to actually make a mistake, especially during cosplay.)

For eyelashes -- ESPECIALLY for cosplay, I would recommend buying tray lashes. They're essentially very cheap lashes on eBay where you can get 10 pairs for $1.50 or so. All false lashes are reusable, as long as you care for them properly; try to avoid using a ton of mascara on them, and make sure that when you take them off, you pick the glue off the band and keep them somewhere where they won't get smashed/torn/etc.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Haruhi13

If you can manage to get your hands on a true Korean BB cream (Skin 79, Lioele, Missha, Holika Holika etc) you'll probably find those to your liking. They tend to come almost exclusively in very light shades, and they have extremely full coverage. In fact, you can add another layer on problem areas and it will function as concealer too! However, they are pretty expensive and you do have to order them online.
As far as eyeliner goes, if you really want a felt tip eyeliner drugstore products are the wrong way to go. They dry up really fast! However, you can find some nice gel liners from Maybelline (although the MAC gel liners are my favorite- they're around $15, so they're pricey, but they literally last forever). Honestly, good felt tips are hard to find, and they tend to be expensive and/or dry up quickly.
As for eyelashes, Ardell lashes are my favorites, and they can be found at Target (they're not the cheapest at $4/pair, but they're good quality and you can reuse them more than some other lashes). Plus, Ardell glue is amazing! I'd suggest getting the dark version, since it blends into eyeliner much better. The tray lashes Khorrupt mentioned are definitely good, but they tend to be a bit plasticky and they really irritate my eyes.
(Also, the 1 on your concealer and foundation means that it's the first/lightest shade that particular line carries, and I believe the other numbers just denote the batch number or something).
Haruhi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Auburn_Kitty
'Taters eh?

I have very pale skin and I tend to use Revlon in Ivory a lot. I find the PhotoReady in Ivory and Revlon ColorStay Whipped Creme 24 Hours in Ivory as well (it actually really stays on all day!). L'oreal is a great brand too for pale skin because they provide a wide variety of skin tone choices (warm, neutral, cool). If you have very pale skin you probably have "cool" toned skin. If you are sticking to drug store brands those are probably the best for pale skin as I find a lot of brands are too "yellow" or too "grey". Don't forget to finish off with translucent power to help your foundation last longer!

As for concealer get one a shade lighter (or close to) your natural shade. You want to make sure you find one that will cover any dark circles you might have and lighten the area. I actually use highlighter as a concealer and it works great for me (due to pale skin).

Eyeliners eh? Ooo good question. I would recommend Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner. It comes in a small container with a brush. It's almost like liquid but, not quite. It's long lasting and great for cosplay! If you find it hard to use liquid this is a good alternative. If you can afford it purchase an "Angled Eyeliner Brush". They help with making eyeliner (power, gel or liquid) easier to apply. Liquid takes practice and a steady hand at that. :P But, keep trying! I would recommend Maybelline's MasterEye Studio Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner for that. It's easier to handle and you have good control.

Eyelashes! Now, never ever trust them if they are "self-adhesive". You will always need eyelash glue no matter what. Ardell lashes are pretty reasonable for lashes and I've always used them. Natural hair lashes are better than plastic. They stick better I find.
http://www.ardelllashes.com/
As for applying them you can check out videos on youtube. Everyone seems to do it differently. I myself do my eyeliner, apply glue to my lashes (read instructions on box how to do this), apply the lashes (q-tips are a big help!), curl my lashes then apply mascara.

Very good Channel on youtube for tips and tricks! I've learned quite a lot from him.http://www.youtube.com/user/gossmakeupartist?feature=watch

Promise Phan and Michelle Phan are fun and informative as well! They do a lot of cosplay videos that are really lovely! ^_^ I hope this helps you out! If you have any questions at all, message me up! I worked in a cosmetic department for years. :3 Good luck~

Rei Ryugazaki - FREE! (club outfit) Progress = 30-40% DONE
Auburn_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Seconding the Maybelline eyeliner. And the brush it comes with isn't actually that bad.

I'm really stingy and own mostly drugstore make up but I have the worst trouble with concealer. Obviously not because I'm pale but because I have oily skin and nothing seems to last on my skin and some drugstore concealers have sparkles (I'm looking at you, Revlon Photo Ready!). If finding a concealer is hard for you, it might be worth it to spend a little extra for concealer at Sephora or Macy's. I went with Mac but other brands might have cheaper options.

If all else fails, you can get a white face paint and add it to your foundation or concealer. Or if you find a foundation that matches but not a concealer, you can use the foundation as a concealer if it's heavy enough coverage.

I don't use false lashes but I do know they can be reusable.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi13 View Post
As far as eyeliner goes, if you really want a felt tip eyeliner drugstore products are the wrong way to go. They dry up really fast!
I had one pen of the Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner Pen last me over a year and was still doing really good, it was just starting to irritate my eye and smell bad cause it was so old, so I got a new one and its been with me since Feb and no dryness in sight! I DON'T recommend Covergirl Lineblast though... SO watery and the 'brush' is so flimsy its VERY hard to use...

For foundation, I know its high end, but Make Up Forever Matte Velvet Plus in shade 15 is REALLY light... I am the palest shade in Revlon Colorstay and even that's slightly too dark for me, but MUFE 15 is actually a little light for me, but I love the look it gives and the next shade up with pink undertones is too dark again...

Concealer I HIGHLY recommend the lightest shade from the Maybelline Fit Me line... or the Covergirl Smoothers stick concealer in the Neutralizer shade. I also love the MUFE Full Cover Concealer but the lightest color- its the EXACT shade as the foundation, and I like my concealer to be a touch lighter then my foundation.

Lashes I recommend the packs of 10 you can get off ebay for cheap... no specific seller as we have a mall here that sells the exact same lashes and when I run out (after like a year and a half) I just go back and get more there XP
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
o01101011
Just call me Digit

I usually just buy whatever lash style I prefer, cheapies have worked fine for me.

For glue though? I HIGHLY recommend getting a tube of DUO lash glue (I got the brush on kind; its like liquid eyeliner) as it will HOLD. I was doubtful at first, having used the stuff that came with my lashes before so I tried adhering a scrap of 1" elastic to my skin while I sewed. Once adhered I could pull on it (till my skin stretched), pull it off, restick to the same spot, and still have decent hold. Didn't hurt to remove, either.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi13 View Post
If you can manage to get your hands on a true Korean BB cream (Skin 79, Lioele, Missha, Holika Holika etc) you'll probably find those to your liking. They tend to come almost exclusively in very light shades, and they have extremely full coverage. In fact, you can add another layer on problem areas and it will function as concealer too! However, they are pretty expensive and you do have to order them online.
As far as eyeliner goes, if you really want a felt tip eyeliner drugstore products are the wrong way to go. They dry up really fast! However, you can find some nice gel liners from Maybelline (although the MAC gel liners are my favorite- they're around $15, so they're pricey, but they literally last forever). Honestly, good felt tips are hard to find, and they tend to be expensive and/or dry up quickly.
As for eyelashes, Ardell lashes are my favorites, and they can be found at Target (they're not the cheapest at $4/pair, but they're good quality and you can reuse them more than some other lashes). Plus, Ardell glue is amazing! I'd suggest getting the dark version, since it blends into eyeliner much better. The tray lashes Khorrupt mentioned are definitely good, but they tend to be a bit plasticky and they really irritate my eyes.
(Also, the 1 on your concealer and foundation means that it's the first/lightest shade that particular line carries, and I believe the other numbers just denote the batch number or something).
I second the BB cream! I use SKIN79, matches me just fine and I would have to pay much more for a high end foundation to get a decently matching shade because I'm so pale. The only way a foundation won't oxidize (the "darkening" as you wear it) is 1. having a good matching foundation, 2. primer, and 3. translucent powder. The 1 is the shade number: it's the absolute lightest color they carry for the line. If you find a foundation with buildable or better coverage, you could possibly go without concealer but I don't know what you're covering ^~^

As for liner... Dear god I hate anything but pencils but I make do. Maybelline EyeStudio gel liners are a favorite, they work best over primer or set with a matching eyeshadow. As for a liquid, I use a pen-style with a brush tip for sensitive eyes. Its by Physician's Formula, their Eye Booster (or something); not waterproof and a bit pricy. I don't know if the gel liner I mentioned is waterproof but I've never cried wearing it and it stuck around fairly often when I washed my face if I remember correctly.

False lashes - you can re-use your false lashes if you clean and care for them, means removing old glue, removing mascara, keeping them in their box, etc. eBay has big boxes of them, I think 10 to a set but I don't know how much time you have to wait for shipping from China/what styles you want! I have cheap lashes and higher end lashes: NYX's falsies and Urban Decay's falsies. The Urban Decay are something like $15 and I have never hated something so much in my life! (Okay, except for a mascara...) The NYX ones are greaaaaaaaaaaat, I swear by them for full-bands. They're cheap. Ardell is on sale at Ulta right now ($2.99 instead of $4.99 for many), and I'm on the fence about buying new lashes or chopping up my NYX and UD. I know someone who uses Ardell, she seems to like them. Buy separate lash glue. Do it. Don't think, just DO it! Lash glue is hit and miss, normally the stuff that comes with lashes sucks. I have both DUO dark and Ardell's goes-on-white-dries-clear stuff in the tube. I prefer the DUO dark because it goes so well with black eyeliner.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

That gel liner is pretty waterproof. I used it to tightline my upper lashline when I went to a pool party on Saturday and I was there for about nine hours and it was still there for the most part. I'm sure if I used it for anything other than tightlining, it would have smudged a bit though.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote