Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
interstellarowl

Where to buy Roronoa Zoro's swords... wooden?

Trying to find replica of Roronoa Zoro's swords and the only places that sell the props that look decent, are LightINtheBox and CosplayFancy, both what look like shady websites.

I need them in wood, not in metal because of Otakon's policies.
Katsucon 2013 (attended! )
AnimeNEXT 2013 (Jiraiya)
Otakon 2013 (Pre-Time Skip Zoro)

2014:
Katsucon 2014 (Badman Vegeta/GT Vegeta)
interstellarowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Midnight Dawn

Are you looking for a place that will have them? Are you trying to build your own? or are you asking if someone can make it for you?
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
interstellarowl

I'm asking what I said lol... where is a good, reputable website to purchase the wooden replicas of them?

the only places I've found them are places that have AWFUL reviews of the website

like LightIntheBox, Cosplayfancy, 365cosplay,etc
AnimeNEXT 2013 (Jiraiya)

2014:
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

If google hasn't turned one up, then there probably isn't one.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

In a pinch, you could probably get one commissioned by someone who specializes in wood carving or something like that. There are several people at Craft Fairs such as Sugarloaf Craft Festival that do woodwork - maybe you could ask one of them? It might be kinda expensive, though. ^^;

Last edited by Captain Kaiba : 06-16-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
interstellarowl

I asked for a commission, ho boy was it expensive, for 3 swords? 600 dollars.. little more expensive than I ould like.

And google has turned up.. just the websites seem shady..
like CosplayFancy.com etc..
AnimeNEXT 2013 (Jiraiya)

2014:
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Quality custom work isn't cheap. You're asking for three katanas with three sayas... Considering how I would go about constructing these from wood and mdf as a base I'd end up with probably close to 2 hours per blade by the time all the finish sanding and shaping was done. Another couple hours per to cut, shape, and fit the blades to the sayas with probably another hour each to cut, fit, and shape each hilt.

So, at ~15 hours in you have three swords roughed out and fitted to their hilt and sayas. You can figure at least another hour each to construct and blend all the little hardware elements and fittings that go on each sword. Probably another hour each of actual work time to paint, clear, and buff everything. Finishing them up by doing a quick tsukamaki wrap for the hilts would be another three hours. Just as a side note, legit tsukamaki service from experienced swordsmiths and enthusiasts can be anywhere from $50 and up with you providing the tsuka ito.

That comes in at ~24 hours in labor, which is a conservative estimate and assumes everything goes according to plan the first time, which it rarely does when building props. At as little as $10/hr you'd already be into this project for $240, most experienced prop makers are probably going to be asking closer to $15 or 20 per hour. With a rough estimate of about $100 in material costs and shipping you could very easily push $600 on a project like this.

If this is too much for you to spend that's perfectly understandable, its a lot of money, but don't think that it is an unreasonable asking price either. There are a lot of tutorials that can help you build your own if you feel like you can take on the challenge. You could also pick up some of the cheap mass produced stainless steel replicas and swap the blades with something that would be con-friendly.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I have looked closely at the "replicas" and they're not accurate at all. So even getting a steel bladed one is pointless if it doesn't look right. I don't blame commissioners for asking basically $200/sword, because while the swords aren't that difficult, the sayas are, and the kind of work that goes into building wooden swords with sayas that fit is worth that kind of price.

The only real option to save costs is to make them yourself, which may be daunting if you've never tried before but there are lots of tutorials in the Tutorial section to give options for different methods, not only wood. Mine are wood, but it took me over a year to build them to accurate specs. Plastic and cardboard are also good methods. I'm not a prop builder generally but I managed, with hand tools no less (no power tools), so don't let lack of experience stop you.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote