Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

Pain in the name of Cosplay

Am I the only one who doesn't come out of making a costume unscathed? Besides the norm of pricking myself with needles I've gotten a few burns as well. Even when I'm trying to be super careful, somehow it still happens. It all ends up being worth it, but jeez it hurt at the time.
Anyone else have this misfortune from just trying to make an good cosplay?

Unread 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

For me it's always hot glue. Hot glue is the devil, and no matter how careful I am, I still manage to burn my fingers on it. That and the standard pricked fingers (and other body parts when moving/manipulating pinned items)... Oh, and shoes... My feet were SO SORE after walking around in my Moxxi heels for 9 hours.

Oh well, whatever it takes, I'm down if it means pulling off a great costume

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I've gotten fresh hot glue on my hands countless times when making gun props, and I've even accidentally touched the metal tip of the glue gun a few times. I just shrug it off. The pain goes away after a few seconds. I don't mind pain so much if it's caused by something I have some control over like that. I've also pricked myself with needles plenty of times when handsewing.

In progress: Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite) - 90%; Steampunk'd Han Solo (Star Wars) - 98%; Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed III) - 30%; Max Rockatansky (Mad Max series) - 35%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (Captain America: TWS) - planning

Future: Mal Reynolds (improved), Jaime Lannister (GoT)
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
cblack77

I just finished making a shirt this morning...came out unscathed....which is miraculous. I'm such a clutz so I'm really impressed with myself.
cblack77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

I fully understand, besides the pricks by needles, I've burnt myself with hot glue and irons before. @_@ I'm not very good at keeping myself safe. I've also cut my finger open with an exacto knife before, people be careful that hurt so bad and it took forever to heal. Because of that incident I'm really careful with sharp objects now but somehow I always get a cut here or there @_@.
Sayaka (Puella Magi).....Progress 10%
Haruhi (OHSHC)............Progress 100%
Ruby (RWBY)...............Progress 80%

Cons for 2014:
Sac Anime Winter, AOD, NorCal Gathering Spring, Kraken Spring, EBRC Picnic, JPOP Summit, NorCal Gathering Summer, Magical Girls Gathering, Sac Anime Summer, Yaoi Con, Kraken Winter

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
InsanityDragon
Sanity? What is that?

As many cosplayers claim, the hot glue gun is my mortal enemy xD ... and the sewing machine needle... I'm total klutz however and am the most accident prone person you could ever meet, so there's a lot of cosplay things that prove dangerous to me.
... I think the worst though was when I either dropped the hot glue gun (didn't help I was half asleep panicking to finish a cosplay for the con...) and got searing hot glue smeared all over the top of my foot, or the time I splashed dye in my eye.
However it's all in the name of cosplay, I'll go through whatever it takes!
InsanityDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
ChibiDannimon

Wearing High Heels for a significant amount of time in Hot Weather.
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Well I've cut my hand open, burned myself with hot glue or from hot foam, and destroyed my feet due to bad boots. Not to mention a year ago I hurt my back, and since then wearing things on my hips (aka my swords for Masamune or my 3DMG for Eren) hurts my back if I wear it for a long period of time.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

For me it's always the iron. I always wind up burning myself when trying to iron seams open and it bloody hurts!!!! Not as bad as the time I burnt myself with a professional steamer, though. That was by far the worse.
------------------
Fabulousity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Isikaru

Like many others, the glue gun. Luckily it's not capable of doing a whole lot of damage, even when you touch it directly accidentally, but it does leave small burn marks for like a week. =3=

Other than that, I surprisingly haven't hurt myself making cosplay. Maybe a few pin pricks, but nothing that made me bleed much.

I'm always really careful with the sewing machine, though, as quite a few people I know have caught their hand/finger in it. And it sounds horrifically eww and ouch, so I hope I never do that.
Isikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Misseeriechan
Cosplay Noob

Seriously just this sunday morning I broke the tip of my pinky finger with my sewing machine, yet here I am, drafting a new pattern. XD

I've burnt myself with curling irons multiple times, and superglued two fingers together a few weeks back.
Ah what we do for the hobby we love ~<3

Last edited by Misseeriechan : 06-18-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo
Misseeriechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Akahime
Red Princess

I got stabbed by needles (for handsewing work for some outfits) and burned myself with hot glue so much that I can't even feel the pain/or notice anymore. xP I think my cells are almost dead yall.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaä (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

I think that kind of thing just comes with the territory of sewing or working with power tools, the latter of which I am doing to make certain parts of the Proto Man costume. Yay for Dremel tools!

...Not that any of the stuff posted here hurts any less, of course. Just gotta be careful. D:

Now if by "pain in the name of cosplay" you were talking about things such as wearing contacts when you really don't like having things within a quarter of an inch of your eye, I refuse to do it. I knew a kid in middle school whose contact lenses shifted and I think they also ripped while he was wearing them, and he was in a LOT of pain. My hands are not very steady so that just adds to the list of reasons I refuse to wear contacts.

Last edited by Captain Kaiba : 06-18-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misseeriechan View Post
Seriously just this sunday morning I broke the tip of my pinky finger with my sewing machine, yet here I am, drafting a new pattern. XD

I've burnt myself with curling irons multiple times, and superglued two fingers together a few weeks back.
Ah what we do for the hobby we love ~<3

Oh man, how did you do that? Ouch!

Funny thing, right after I posted this topic, I burned myself with my heat gun. Hur hur.
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Misseeriechan
Cosplay Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenith View Post
Oh man, how did you do that? Ouch!

Funny thing, right after I posted this topic, I burned myself with my heat gun. Hur hur.
I was reaching to lift the lever which raises the sewing foot and at that precise moment my toes involuntarily twitched on the petal, therefore sending that screw that holds the needle in hamming into my pinky finger. I was scared it had ripped the nail off at first but it's just purple and swollen.
Now I look all posh and British when I drink drinks.

Try to be careful dears.
Misseeriechan is offline   Reply With Quote