Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Whenever this topic comes up, I'm always reminded of the 1/2 inch scar near my wrist from about 5 years ago, when I accidentally slashed myself with a box cutter while making a sword for my brother.

And then I've endured fresh hot glue, pricking myself with needles, foot pain while wearing 4-inch platform boots, and a sudden sting of dryness from wearing contacts all day until past midnight (thank goodness I had my lens case and some eye drops with me).

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
My_Insanity
Barian Lord

I recently put a machine needle through my left index finger. It wasn't so much pain as shock though... I was not expecting it.
I've also cut into fingers with a hack saw, had pins get stuck in feet, hot glue and the other usual stuff.
My_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

If either my husband or I am wearing something that had to be sewn, the chances are very high there will be a band aid around at least one of my fingers on the day that costume debuts. I'm always stabbing myself with pins. Always.

Also the first time I crossplayed, I decided it would be a good idea to bind myself with ace bandages. (Some of you are laughing right now...)

Never. Again. I'd rather walk around with moobs than deal with that again. I don't care about accuracy THAT much.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
nonsensicality
batterwitc)(

I'm covered with various burns all over my hands from ironing everything. Speaking of burns, whenever I use hot glue I always try to smooth it down before it dries. And if that means burning my fingers in the process, so be it!
Also at the 4/13 homestuck meetup I decided it would be a great idea to use spike heels in my costume. I forgot that the entire meetup took place on a grassy field area, and it had rained the previous day. By the time it was over, I could barely even walk. I did, however, get a cute guy to carry me for about a block in exchange for a coffee brownie, so that's a plus!
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
For me it's always the iron. I always wind up burning myself when trying to iron seams open and it bloody hurts!!!! Not as bad as the time I burnt myself with a professional steamer, though. That was by far the worse.
Oh, god. Steam burns. Those are probably the worst kind of burns you can get. I had a second degree (possibly worse) burn from my work's steamer one time. My boss told me to shrug it off. I should've walked out that day. He was a jerk.

As far as cosplay, my worst injuries would most likely be hot glue or tripping over some cosplay stuff to get to the other cosplay stuff.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
ghosgreen

Umm lets see I've pricked my finger on a needle those few times I hand sewed something, cut my hands and arms while working with fiberglass done that a lot and yeah I was an idiot to try something on when I didn't sand the edges down. Got some burns from hot glue definitely that one. Umm I think worst one I had was nearly cut off part of the tip of my finger...It sounds worst than it actually was. It was really minor, got a nifty scar for it and heh heh yup of course that was the night before a con. Exacto knife slipped.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
Khorrupt

X-acto knives will be the death of me. Especially because I've accidentally cut my fingers so many times that I barely feel it anymore.

I was working at the community centre a couple months back and we were cutting posters, and I cut a 2-inch or so cut in my finger and hadn't noticed until some mysterious red stuff started appearing on the posters. Oh, hey, blood!

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

I'm going to echo the sentiments of the hot glue burns here. It's to the point where I should be used to it, but it manages to sneak up on you and surprise you.

And also once I wore some, at first comfortable boots for a cosplay, but by the day's end, my big toe was apparently pinched and went basically numb for a month. That was the worst of all,and I promptly gave those accursed things away that Christmas.
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Mr. Van Driessen (Beavis and Butthead)
The Riddler

Working on:
Mike Schmidt the Night Watchman (Five Nights at Freddy's) (80%)
Red Engineer 2.0 (TF2) (60%)
Steampunk Ghostbuster (75%)
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I've suffered from many many needle pricks. It was even worse when I was embroidering. That needle was sharp and I kept stabbing the same spot under my thumb nail. I've also suffered from the hot glue burns, gluing fingers together and blisters on the toes.

Weirdly enough, the glass table in the living room that I use for tracing patterns and such has given me injuries too. One time when I was working on cosplay I kept on hitting it in the same spot on my leg(the area to the side of the knee) and one time I hit it hard enough that I ended up with a bad bruise and the area felt really weird when I touched it.

Also I found a needle that I dropped on the ground with my big toe. =_=. I was limping for two days after that.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Never underestimate the mental torment of arts and crafts.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #26
ChaiX
His Girlfriend the Moon

Funny story, I was hot gluing the clips onto some hair accessories for my Yue cosplay when my mom starts talking to me. We keep having a conversation and all this time I haven't stopped pressing the trigger on the gun. It's not until the glue drips onto my thumb that I freak out, and drop what I'm holding. The barrette, full of hot glue at this point, drops on my bare foot while the metal part of the glue gun hits me in the knee. I stumble back trying to shake off the glue when I trip and stub my toe on the table, breaking the nail. As I desperately try to regain my balance, I take another step, only to have my foot fall RIGHT on top of a lego. So yes, I have been injured by cosplay, and hot blue guns are the bane of my existence.

CONVENTIONS I FREQUENT

FanimeCon - San Jose
AnimeiCon - Monterey
SacAnime - Sacramento
FurtherConfusion - San Jose
AnimeExpo - Los Angeles
ChaiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #27
MidnightMinx90

I want to say that the worst I've hurt myself is mentally, trying to figure out things, and just being sick of staying up so late because I NEED to finish it before I go to bed (I've mentally exhausted myself two days in a row now, and I have a WEEK to finish Nocturnal and figuring out the makeup for Night Mother)
Other than that it's the classic needle and glue gun shit

I also managed to glue my ex-girlfriend to her automail once a couple of years ago when we were at a con and she went as Ed Elric... I was supposed to use the glue gun to fasten it to the piece of fabric underneath it, not to her skin.. Woops

Made: Nocturnal and Night Mother from Skyrim ~ Malik al-Sayf and Leonardo da Vinci from Assassin's Creed ~ Morghann from The Black Jewels ~ Witch from Left 4 Dead
MidnightMinx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
Vensy
Prop Designer

Needle pricks per usual are painful, and can swell the fingers over time. :C I was hand sewing some cowhide the other day and the needle slipped into my fingers (leather needles super thick..) so that left my finger in pain for days. X"D

I've burnt myself from thermoforming sintra/styrene/acrylic, accidentally sanded my fingers a couple of times with my orbital sander.. etc. Most of my injuries are from props. Good news is I've gotten a lot better about it over the years. I used to get one major injury per costume minimum (an injury that would scar - box cutter, hot glue gun burn, etc.), but now I get away from each project with no scars. c: Go me!
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #29
AnnaJieJie

I'm gonna have to join the ironing burns club. Really, just burns in general (I shouldn't be allowed near stoves unsupervised), but with irons I'm especially clumsy. I do try to be careful, but somehow the damn thing always ends up nicking me.

Also, when I get working on a costume I tend to marathon it; I'll start in the morning and work straight until sundown. And during that time I usually forget to eat, and by the time I realize I'm hungry my stomach is so empty that it starts hurting and it's difficult to keep anything down. I should really start setting meal timers or something. XD
AnnaJieJie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Having your feet go numb from wearing heels each day at the con for the duration of the con.
You know, the norm.

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote