Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #31
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

As crappy as it is to wait it's also not a bad idea to do little pieces over an extended period of time.
My boyfriend wants to do Monster Hunter cosplay and those things are insane detail and material wise. If we decided to make costumes from it I can't imagine us working for a period of time shorter than a year just so we can pace ourselves cost and labor wise. Heck, maybe even longer than that since we'd be working on TWO of those things..lol
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #32
dandylion360

I'm currently making my costume for London MCM Oct and trying to budget so I spend no more than £30 ($45) a month til then, sooooooo hard though I want to buy everything at once
dandylion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
Are you talking to me?

I'd definitely know which questions to ask and what to bring for reference to the people at the fabric stores because I do extensive research on the costumes before I even go searching for a possible commissioner (although costuming Jack Sparrow is a bit different than costuming a character like Sweeney. If you don't make your own costume, you can't really go to just one commissioner for everything, this is partly because there are people who are known in the "Sparrow world" for making specific pieces for his costume, i.e Paulipoos on eBay is known for her shirts, and ACME Brand is known for their belts, baldrics, and Jack Sparrow's rings).
I actually don't have any friends who are particularly good at sewing. They are all around the same level as me in terms of sewing experience. I'd want someone who has a lot of experience to be teaching me. But, I think if I actually sat down and followed the instructions on the pre-made pattern I would probably do okay, I was able to follow a tutorial for a God Tier John hood for my friend and her hood turned out pretty well.
The pattern drafting tutorial would be very helpful! I'd love to have the link to that. I'd imagine that pattern drafting is pretty hard, lots of geometry is involved right? I can't really do math all that well lol
Yeah, I was on my phone at the time and it's too much of a pain in the butt to format text or quote when I'm using it.

Post 1 about patterns
Post 2

That's for a specific top, but the starting part that gets the body block drawn is the base of a lot of things.

I don't think it's much geometry - it's really just "measure thing, draw line" until you're bored haha. I think after you get that part down it's more "art" kind of skills - drawing the armscye curves, necklines - those aren't things that involve math, it's more "eyeballing it". Some people use physical tools to draw curves, too - it's whatever is comfortable for you.

Honestly, I feel like a lot of patterns have bad directions - or ones that aren't really helpful to learning and they can be written in a manner that isn't intuitive. If you find they help you, that's good ! They're just not something I ever really liked because I am not comfortable working that way.

Sewing is really simple. All you need to do at first is practice being able to control the machine - so you can sew a fairly straight line and follow curves.

I know you're most likely going to picky with yourself about quality - but it's okay to forgive yourself at first. If I were you, I would pick a simple project to start with - that way you won't be in over your head and having to learn dozens of new things. Even after years you'll still be learning new techniques. Even if you do just one part of a whole costume, it will still give you some experience.

Just as examples of difficulty - I think that Jack's shirt is something "first project" difficulty and if you can get that done, you should be able to make his jacket. It has some details on it, but it's very simple over-all and it's pretty beat up - so it's not like you need to really-really shape a hair canvas like you would for a pristine robin-breasted uniform (not even Norrington's is like that - that era is pretty "unstructured" in general). If you hacked out the pattern for it yourself you could probably do it for ~$300-ish depending on fabric cost (I went by general prices, so if it's a specific, more expensive than average fabric it might be more for just materials). Commissioning just a pattern is always an option, too.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #34
hikaru2322

LITERALLY my problem right now. I just had my birthday, and got a lot of money. I told myself that I wouldn't spend all of it on cosplay. No. I'm spending it all on A LOT of cosplay.
hikaru2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #35
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post
As crappy as it is to wait it's also not a bad idea to do little pieces over an extended period of time.
My boyfriend wants to do Monster Hunter cosplay and those things are insane detail and material wise. If we decided to make costumes from it I can't imagine us working for a period of time shorter than a year just so we can pace ourselves cost and labor wise. Heck, maybe even longer than that since we'd be working on TWO of those things..lol
This is usually what I try to do as well, and what I'm going to try really hard to stick to for the next cosplay I make, which is currently planned to be Levi from Attack on Titan (an outfit/prop set that for me personally is going to be expensive /and/ time consuming). Taking time to do something is also a good way to keep from getting overwhelmed by all the tiny details of a project, and really making sure it all comes out awesome and accurate, so I'm kind of excited to work on something like that in a more leisurely way.

In Progress Cosplays
Override Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Episode 24 Credits Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)

Next con: Akai Con
Souda | Bertholdt | Ymir
schmemy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #36
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

I shouldn't be spending so much money because my bills now cost more then I earn in my paycheck. My blood Dad gives me allowance that I use to pay the rest of my bills then I'm free to use the money how I want. However, I should be saving my money just in case something happens but if I don't use the money and try to save it my mom or stepdad usually swindles the money out of me anyway.

But I feel really bad because I just spent over 300$ on cosplay these past few weeks. I bought the 12 wigs I need for this year and the rest on fabric I need. However, it is cheaper to buy wigs and fabric in a larger order rather then individually. So I shouldn't feel that bad ether but it bothers me. I'm quite frugal in almost every other area in my life.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #37
Vensy
Prop Designer

I do a lot of molding and casting, and plastic work in general.. so that adds up to be extremely expensive. Thankfully I choose projects that double as portfolio work (studying product/entertainment design).
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
emlights

I'm saving up for a car as well and can relate to your guilt. Whenever I feel that way Im just thankful that I have a job that pays me weekly and no bills. So why not? I feel like this is the time to spend copious amounts of money.
emlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #39
sandra03

I'm not working right now, but hubby is very supportive of me going to a con since I never really get to do anything on my own explore my own interests. any outings we have are usually revolving around his interests or his family and friends. we packed up and moved to a new city for his job, a couple of times, I always end up making the sacrifice and as a result have few close friends and always end up with crummy low paying jobs so we can never afford for me to do anything I want to do.
so when he said I should just go ahead and go to a con this year I wasn't going to say no. the con itself, the travel and hotel expenses, are a lot for us right now. so i can't justify spending money on cosplay stuff. I've been doing a couple of little jobs on freelancer here and there and as a result had saved up some money in my paypal account. I've always treated my paypal balance as fun money. whatever's in there for whatever reason is found money that isn't accounted for in terms of bills and whatnot, it's supplemental income that I can put towards something I wouldn't normally want to spend money on. as soon as the con was confirmed I decided I was going to use that money for my cosplays, and if there's any leftover will withdraw it for spending money for merch at the con.
I also used some to get a couple of dresses for upcoming weddings so there's not much left, I need to get another project to replenish my funds
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #40
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I have to admit that I have felt guilty sometimes of doing this. Most of my costume expenses haven't been on materials so much as sewing lessens to make it because the first thing I ever sewn was a pair of pants in January and decided from there to make a whole costume for two conventions in July.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Patterns Completed, Leather gauntlet cuffs and boot covers. Tunic Patterns Cut.
Hero's Shade: In the process of starting. 0% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #41
Isikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmemy View Post
This is usually what I try to do as well, and what I'm going to try really hard to stick to for the next cosplay I make, which is currently planned to be Levi from Attack on Titan (an outfit/prop set that for me personally is going to be expensive /and/ time consuming). Taking time to do something is also a good way to keep from getting overwhelmed by all the tiny details of a project, and really making sure it all comes out awesome and accurate, so I'm kind of excited to work on something like that in a more leisurely way.
Ohh Levi! I hope to see pictures or something when you finish it.
Isikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #42
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

I always end up spending more than I intended. My Diamond Crevasse Sheryl cosplay easily cost $300, since I used large amounts of special occasions fabrics, faux flowers, and wigs (I bought five different wigs for this cosplay and ended up using only two *sobs* but at least I was able to sell the ones I didn't use).

I think as long as you keep track of what you're using and set a budget for yourself in the beginning, it makes it easier to not overspend.
Celia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #43
gtothedragon

Wow, reading all of these different posts on how much people spend on cosplays, I feel a little sheepish because the most I ever spent on a cosplay was something close to $300 with ticket costs to the convention included. I spent $100 on a white blazer and $70 for a wig imported from Korea, then the rest on my jeans and little scraps to put the cosplay together.

This year I spent under $50, maybe even under $30 since my mother's a seamstress and I was able to use her raw materials to make my cosplay; I just had to buy some extra little things and felt, which came cheap because felt is cheap. I do try to keep my cosplays cheap since I like having more money in my hand to use at the convention rather than using it on a cosplay, but yeah... interesting!
gtothedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #44
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikaru View Post
Ohh Levi! I hope to see pictures or something when you finish it.
Of course! I think it's going to take me a while, but he's just such an awesome character and I really want to make this cosplay at some point!

In Progress Cosplays
Override Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Episode 24 Credits Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)

Next con: Akai Con
Souda | Bertholdt | Ymir
schmemy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #45
kuro-nee
Instant noodles eater

I like to keep my cosplays cheap but as soon as I was earning most of my recreation budget went to cosplay. /shameless Hmm... the cheapest I spent was $30? My first cosplay as Wufei (which will never ever ever see the light of day) I only spent it on cloth and a rough (read: really2 bad) sewing. The most I have spent is on my most recent costume (Balin from the Hobbit). That one costed me a hell lot of time and money. Not to mention, it still not complete as I still need to find my ears and make the weapon. *cries*

@Kelley: Thanks for the links! I'd love to actually learn sewing but too chicken to go to classes. ^^;;;
kuro-nee is offline   Reply With Quote