Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Locations

Unread 11-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
CrookedCompass

New Hampshire photo shoots

Introduction:
As hard as I've searched for a thread on this, there doesn't seem to be one. I'll be making my own suggestions as I come across them, but I'm open to contributions posted in the thread. I'll update the first post with new locations as often as I can. Feel free to suggest photography styles other than nature, urban, and historic too. That's just all I can think of, heh.

Contents:
Nature shoots - NATNH
Urban shoots - URBNH
Historic shoots - HISTNH
Miscellaneous shoots - MISCNH

Note: If the location's name is in dark purple, it costs money to get in.

Nature shoots: [NATNH]
Ellacoya State Park: Gilford
Setting: Woods, beach, and streams. Anyone 12 and over gets in for $5. Their schedule is very specific, so do check the website before you go.

Hampton Beach: Hampton
Setting: urban and beach. It's very popular, so expect tons of people. Depending on the time of year, there might be a festival too. There are tons of shops and a considerable shoreline. If there's nice weather and it's not quite summer yet, you might be able to beat the season for paid parking.

Lake Massabesic: Manchester and Auburn
Setting: lakeside and wooded trail. Swimming not allowed. Free to enter and open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Note that this is the public water supply for Manchester.

Tarbin Gardens: Franklin
Setting: Gardens, ponds, and animal areas. Adult admission is $8.50, children age 4 to 17 and students under 25 are $7. Open Tuesday - Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Urban shoots: [URBNH]
Boston Billiard Club: Nashua
Setting: indoor and outdoor urban. They do serve drinks here, so this is for 21+ only. Sometimes there are dancers too, so steer clear if you're not comfortable. The club runs discounts on certain days during the week, some of them on using the pool tables. It also has a patio, though I'm not sure if it's accessible year-round.

Elm Street: Manchester
Setting: outdoor urban. Downtown area of Manchester filled with shops, plazas, as well as small nature-esque "parks" (more like grassy areas with benches and statues) as well as shops. It's rife with photo opportunities, but very highly trafficked.

Mall of New Hampshire: Manchester
Setting: indoor urban, shopping. Lots of shops selling anything from jewelry to specialty cooking products to tea leaves. There's a few sitting areas for eating or just resting, and sometimes there are events being held in the mall. Keep in mind that some shops won't want photos taken of their products.
Historic shoots: [HISTNH]
Fort Constitution: New Castle
Setting: brick/stone building, military, woods, waterside, and lighthouse. The park is unstaffed and open all year, so it's free to enter whenever you have the time. It seems like the grounds are fairly large, so give yourself lots of time.

Franklin Pierce Homestead: Hillsborough
Setting: outdoor historic estate, woods, indoor historic house. Open from late May to mid-October and the hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., even on holidays. NH residents get in free from 17 and under, after which the ticket price is $4 per person. Non-residents pay $3 from 6 to 17 years old and $5 at 18 and over.

Littleton Grist Mill: Littleton
Setting: indoor and outdoor historic building, waterside, woods, bridge. Open year round with free tours.

Madame Sherri Forest (and Castle Ruins): Chesterfield
Setting: forest, waterside, stone ruins. Appears free to enter and doesn't seem to close, but it's difficult to rustle up information on this place. There should be an information kiosk with a map once you arrive, and with that you should be able to find the castle.

Robert Frost Farm: Derry
Setting: farmhouse, historic site, woods. The farm is open early May through to early October from Wednesday to Sunday, but it is open daily only through late June to early September. Hours are 10am - 4pm. Costs are for NH residents from 18-64 is $4, but outside of that range is completely free. For non-NH residents, ages 18-64 are $5, ages 6-17 are $3, and children 0-5 are free.

Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site: Cornish
Setting: elaborate indoor and outdoor historic estate, woods, mountain view. The park, buildings, and exhibits change their hours based on the season, so it's best to check the site to confirm. Entry costs $5 at 16 and over, but the receipt is valid for re-entry for seven days. There are three fee-free days during the year, apparently, and that might be worth looking into.

Strawbery Banke: Portsmouth
Setting: indoor historic homes and shops, outdoor historic, woods. Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. all week in May through October. There are events held on the grounds from time to time, and you might want to check that before you go. Tickets for people 5 to 17 are $10 and for adults, they're $17.50. The tickets are also good for two days. But Portsmouth is basically a hub of historic locations, and you could easily spend days in that city taking pictures without having to spend a dime to go in any specific place.
Miscellaneous: [MISCNH]
Museum of Family Camping: Allenstown
Setting: Woods, old style campers and tents. Free to enter and open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily from Memorial day weekend until September 30th.

Last edited by CrookedCompass : 11-21-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Updating locations.
CrookedCompass is offline   Reply With Quote