Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Best Way to Detox?

Generally, before going on a diet and setting up a work out plan, or in the beginning stages, one should detox in order to get rid of the toxins and harmful metals and all that, which is trapped in your body, which is stored in fat cells, blah blah blah and so on.

What are the best ways to detox?
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
chupachan

Lots of water is an essential part of any detox. Other than that, fresh homemade juice (nothing from a bottle) made from vegetables and fruits (preferably organic) is highly recommended. If you really want solid foods, stick to raw fruits (again, preferably organic). Teas, supplements, and tinctures are completely unnecessary. Your body will detox and heal itself naturally when you remove all toxins and irritants from your diet. Good luck!
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

Anybody telling you you need to "detox" is selling you crap, or putting you on for some reason for their own gain. It's a myth that supports a multi-million dollar international business model selling you glorified water and whatnot. Any "toxins" you body takes in are handled appropriately by your liver and dumped in your urine and feces within a day or two. Your body doesn't trap "toxins" in your fat cells, or anything else like that.

Typically the things people attribute to "toxins" are actually due to other reasons. Tired/sluggish? You're probably not getting enough sleep, or eating enough nutrient-dense food, or drinking enough water. Woozy/sickly feeling after a workout? You're pushing yourself too hard without enough fuel (read: food) in the tank. Lightheaded/lots of headaches? Most likely a lack of hydration, or, again, not enough sleep/food.

Here's some good, simple guidelines to get your body in tip-top shape:

Get 7-9 hours of sleep a day, on a regular schedule(go to bed/wake up at the same time every day).
Drink somewhere between .5 to 1 gallon of water a day.
Stop drinking anything that isn't water (milk isn't too bad, steer clear of juice/soda/caffeinated beverages)
Make vegetables the foundation of your diet. Removed processed sugars. Cut down on grains and dairy. Stick to lean protein (poultry/fish) and grass fed beef/pork.

(shameless plug) If you want to know more about this kind of stuff, check out my blog (the link is in my signature), and sign up for the champion's guild (click the button on the right-hand sidebar). I wrote up a more extensive e-book called "The Four Week Reset Button," that has all this stuff and more in it. Unlike various "detox" programs out there, the e-book is based on good science, AND I'm not trying to sell you anything.
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Thanks you two. I wasn't really asking what programs or items there were to buy but more of methods, diy, natural - that sort of thing. Are there any more specific vegetables or fruits I should eat more of?
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

No worries, "detox" is just one of my trigger words, haha (along with "toned" >_<). As far as vegetables go, it's kind of hard to go wrong, though there are some with less nutritional value than others.

Really good veggies usually have dark/bright colors. Spinach, kale, broccoli, peas, peppers, red leaf lettuce, carrots, etc. Veggies that are "less good" are iceberg lettuce, cucumber, celery...it's not that they're bad, they're just basically water, so you aren't getting much nutritional value from them. If you fill up on them you'll end up malnourished and, again, feeling the kind of symptoms people typically attribute to "toxins."

Detoxing is typically just another word for malnourishment/fasting, and it serves no real purpose other than taxing your body unnecessarily, which is why I get a little twitchy about it.
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
chupachan

If you want as simple as it gets, eat only (or primarily) raw fruits for a couple days. Apples, oranges, grapes, plums, melons, peaches, nectarines, all fruit is good fruit. Drink lots of water, get lots of sleep. Not everyone believes in natural detox, and that's ok. There are different schools of thought when it comes to nutrition. It's ok to try different things and see what works for you, but there's really no point to wasting money on "detox kits" or "herbal remedies" or anything that comes out of a box or package.
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
SteampunkJo
Survivor SteamPrincess

Funny, but I'm the opposite of Chupachan's theory. Eat vegetables; specifically green leafy ones and white ones, NO POTATOES. Stay away from sugars, even natural ones. Try this cleanse for a week; http://thecandidadiet.com My sister and I both used this, and lost weight immediately; not only that, but I found my sleep improved, as well as my emotional wellbeing, I found I had more energy and motivation than I did before the cleanse.

In response to DaRatmastah's statement that your fat doesn't hold toxins and that your liver purges it every day or so..well, yes, it does. But the problem is that if you are constantly dumping toxins into your body, your liver is constantly trying to get rid of them, and a state of toxification becomes your normal; because there is a steady flow of toxins in and out. Going on the Candida Cleanse (Google Candida for more info on what it is; briefly, a build up of yeast and sugars in the body. There's more to it than that, I promise.) will help your liver get rid of what's in there, without new stuff being dumped on top of it, letting that poor organ rest a little!!

As to how I know this can work; I am a three time cancer survivor. My most recent round of cancer was stated as being Terminal; I got a second opinion, and now I'm 100% cancer free at this time. Part of getting my body healthy enough to survive the extremely dangerous surgery and healing up afterwards was losing about thirty pounds! I had four months to do it in; using this method, I went from 145lbs to 116lbs, and on top of that, I've been able to maintain that weight, while still eating whatever I want, as long as it's not full of chemicals and crap!

I hope you find something that works for you, Mykaios; this is just what worked for me. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more about the things that I ate or any of my recipes (I was an apprentice chef before I was on disability) I'm happy to share!!
SteampunkJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
chupachan

SteampunkJo, I agree with you. The reason I recommend fruits is because they are more easily assimilated, and when I used an all-fruit diet to self-heal my Ulcerative Colitis raw vegetables were a big no-no during the healing phase due the highly compromised and delicate condition of my large intestine at that time. If your body can tolerate it (most people's can), I do recommend raw vegetables as well.
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Thanks!

I've been trying to stick to daily meals of (I guess this really isn't "detoxing" but at least a lot healthier than what it used to be haha).

Breakfast: yoplait light (strawberries and banana's) + one banana - sometimes it's 2-3 over medium eggs and 2 strips less sodium turkey bacon

Lunch: Salad (either hearts of romaine or an Italian mix which is romaine and raddichio), cherry or grape tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms or white - depending on what's on sale, cilantro and one hard boiled egg with light Italian dressing mixed with Sriarcha sauce so spicy Italian dressing.

Dinner is usually some from of protein: beef, venison, chicken, fish - not in the form of hamburgers, with veggies and stuff.

Snacks consist of fruits or nuts.

None of it's organic. I drink mostly water (I've cut back on soda, other stuff I drink is orange juice and 2% or skim milk) and I've started adding some frozen fruit into it to flavor it a little.

I've also started taking multi-vitamins :x

Uh, my work out plan... I'm looking into a gym membership or yoga but for now I try to at least walk around the neighborhood for about an hour a day (which isn't much, but it's something).
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

4 cups of water a day and/or some green tea.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

Sweetened yogurt isn't really the best way to start your day, especially if it has aspartame in it. Fake sugars make you gain weight. Skim or 2% milk also makes you gain weight. Healthy, natural fats add to the feeling of being full, so you don't eat as much or as often. Pig farmers actually feed their pigs skim milk when they want them to gain weight, because they eat way more of it than they would if it was full fat.

Because fruit has a bunch of sugar, it's good for a healthy dessert, but vegetables should take priority over fruits. I'm actually not incredibly fond of eating a ton of vegetables, but that's where the blender comes in. Orange juice and other juices are also loaded with sugar, it's really no better than chugging a soda.

The rest of your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks sound good though.
Also, walking for an hour a day is very good. ^^ If you have an stationary bike or a treadmill lying around and you want to get more exercise, just set it up in front of the the tv. I've pedaled/walked for an hour without really realizing it that way.
Like others are saying, drink plenty of unflavored water and unsweetened tea if you need a change. I don't know if you're a student, or if you work, but pack a good healthy lunch (the night before if you want to save time in the morning), so you won't be tempted to drop by a restaurant or *shudder* the school cafeteria.
I'm sorry my post is all over the place, I'm just adding things as I think of them. Good luck!

Fayt Leingod - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - Making armor

Faize Sheifa Beleth - Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Working on bracers, rapier
DeeperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRatmastah View Post
(shameless plug) If you want to know more about this kind of stuff, check out my blog (the link is in my signature), and sign up for the champion's guild (click the button on the right-hand sidebar). I wrote up a more extensive e-book called "The Four Week Reset Button," that has all this stuff and more in it. Unlike various "detox" programs out there, the e-book is based on good science, AND I'm not trying to sell you anything.
reminds me of NerdFitness.com.......