Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

I hate having to use wigs, but I've had to for a while. Which sucked, because it seemed like every character my sister was doing she was using her own hair for.
But since we're low on money right now, I said last year that this year was going to be a year without wigs. I was afraid I couldn't afford any new ones, and didn't want to mess up the ones I already have for other costumes in case I want to wear those costumes again.
I was pretty sure I'd figure out like 2 costumes tops for this year.
But instead, (starting last August actually), I managed to do:

-Thor(lolita- for a group, based on fanart that went viral)
-Eowyn
-The Pioneer(Assassin's Creed III)
-Magik(X-men)
-Celes(FFVI)
-Deidara(this was actually my 1st costume from a long time ago, but people convinced me to unretire it)

It just felt soooo good to be using my own hair. And then my hair doesn't look disgusting at the end of the day from being stuffed up under a wig, so I can change out of my costume and go to eat or go to a rave, etc. and don't need to be a hermit in the hotel room til the next day, washing my hair and waiting for it to dry.

I really love my hair. It's dark blonde, and really long and thick. I guess everyone deserves to really like and be proud of something about themselves. And I love my hair, and love being able to use it for cosplay and show it off instead of hiding it under an expensive, hot sweaty wig.

Conventions 2014~
-Katsucon- -Castle Point- -AnimeNEXT- -Philly Comic Con- -NYCC-
2014 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Lux(League of Legends); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV)

Aurora Maryte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
KieranPrince
Sarcastic Prince

Using my hair would save a lot of money, but I can't use it since it's so thick and coarse. Not to mention, it gets frizzy when it's humid. (plus my hair isn't styled in the fashioned in the way that most characters are).
Kamukura Izuru (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
KieranPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I got into cosplaying specifically because I looked like Link from Zelda without any makeup, hair dye, hair gel, or wig.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

It's always nice when you decide to do a character and realize you can probably go without a wig. I love it when that happens. The only thing I don't love is when people strictly limit themselves to only ever doing characters with their own hairstyle, and pine longingly at that character they love but "can't" do because of their own personal limitations.

The thing is, using your own hair for a number of costumes actually takes more work and planning than just using wigs. I have to think months if not years ahead to what costumes I plan to bring to what events if I want to have my hair the correct length and style, if I'm using my own hair. I haven't been able to do Hiei in years because I keep my hair somewhere between Shuuhei and Portgas D. Ace these days. It's such a hassle, I MUCH prefer just whipping out wigs and thus deciding what to bring to what con on a pure whim.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
lazer684
The Whale Shark

I know a lot of people that can pull off using their real hair for cosplay, but I am defiantly not one of them. However, I am planning on using my hair for a Chell cosplay!
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
dvt
Luffy D. Freeks

No money for wigs! So I just use my own hair ;p luckily it kinda matches, I'll settle for dark brown / black instead of dark blue lol
dvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

I used to have longer brown hair which was perfect for Tohru from Fruits Basket, and then I cut it. Once it was short, it started curling exactly like Eiji's hair from Prince of Tennis. But for the most part, my hair doesn't match any of the characters I've cosplayed. I prefer using wigs since my hair is naturally thin and kinda ugly.
Suiguintou (Rozen Maiden)
Twilight Sparkle (Princess - My Little Pony)

Rest to be decided.
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
eebee

I used my own hair for Rogue! My hair is naturally dark brown, and I've had white-blonde bangs for ages, because I just love the hairstyle. That does mean it doesn't work for anyone else though...

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Red (with Subject Unknown)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #24
kawaiiMORGUE

I used my own hair when it was red for Sally from A Nightmare Before Christmas. My hair is kind of difficult to style and handle at most times, so I prefer to use a wig.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

My hair sucks, so it wouldn't work for any cosplay, but I've thought in cosplaying Aang where I just need to shave my head and paint it LOL

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
Throatriptron
Tsundere

I personally feel that not many people can pull off using their natural hair for anime cosplays. Anime hair just sits....unnaturally, and it's very, very difficult to make real hair do that. Not to mention that animated hair usually has a very glossy look to it, which a lot of people do not naturally have.

However, there are certain characters that look fine with natural hair. Most cosplays from live-action television shows or movies look better with natural hair. A lot of western comic book characters (Rogue was mentioned) have natural looking hair and can be pulled off without a wig.
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
Misseeriechan
Cosplay Noob

I've used my own hair for all of mine so far! only with Hiyori do i have to constantly refix it cause it's a bit long and tends to droop. I figure if i get a stronger hold spray i won't have that issue, i was just too pressed for time and money.

<-------This is my first wig

Last edited by Misseeriechan : 06-22-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Misseeriechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #28
flash1616
don't touch the Mytho

I love using my real hair for cosplays when I can. I have very thick and curly hair so having it not shoved under a wig cap and wig is always something nice (especially on the last day of a convention).
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
Ilafatyu
That guy

I can't use my real hair for cosplays very often, so it's kind of a treat when I can. Like with Izaya. I love having the ability to cosplay wig-free if need be, but it's so much more work to have real hair... Gotta check it every five minutes.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #30
My_Insanity
Barian Lord

I'm not really a fan of it. I used my own hair for my Beast cosplay and looking back on it I really regret it, it doesn't look right at all and I wish I had gotten a wig.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen some great cosplays where people have pulled off using their natural hair (often short styles and live action and western cosplay accounts for 90% of these) but generally it doesn't look right. Your natural hair is likely thinner than the characters and more prone to react to humidity, weather changes, frizzing and other sorts of unfortunate events.
Wigs have far more versatility as far as styling goes and at least as far as anime, game and comic cosplays go, look far closer to the character. Outrageous hairstyles and unnatural colours are something I would abosolutely say to always get a wig for.
My_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote