Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #31
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I think there is nothing wrong with using your real hair if you can get away with it. Personally for me, I prefer to use a wig. My real hair is frizzy and really thick and it's hard for my to style for everyday wear. Can't even imagine it staying in style for a cosplay. Its just easier for me.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #32
The Boss
Mentor

To each it's own.
Personally I don't like using real hair. Wigs look always more pretty and nice in my opinion.
For my very first cosplay I bleached my hair blonde and today I know it would've been much better with a GOOD wig (lace front, since the hairstyle is pulled back on this character)

I don't care if others wear a wig or not, that's not my business. But personally I just like the look of wigs more. Real hair tends to look too thin/frizzy/too wavy or straight for the characters. And the color is often very off, too.

I wish I COULD go without a wig. but thanks to my haircolor it's nearly impossible to do that (red hair is a bitch). I could only pull off characters with brown hair...since my real hair doesn't take bleach good at all... I went to 3 different professionals over the years to bleach it. one time it had this awful yellowish tint, another time it went completely WHITE and the last one ruined my scalp... my whole scalp was eaten away from the acid ...and I don't go into detail now because it'd be disgusting.

And since I tend to cosplay blonde characters (coincidence) using my real hair is not an option. Plus I have very thick and curly hair and straightening never works as perfect as a straight wig.
So I'll stick with wigs... it just looks better 99% of the time in my opinion, if it is styled right/well enough.

There's only ONE cosplayer I've seen so far which pulled it off GOOD with his own hair. the color and the cut was perfect and it wasn't frizzy or too thin or curly (for the character he cosplayed) It just looked awesome. But that's the only cosplayer which looked good with his own hair I've seen so far.
But like I said: that's just my personal opinion. I don't care if others use their real hair or not. And I'd never say something to them if they use their real hair. Maybe I'd just think "Ohh...with a wig it'd have been much better" but I keep my thoughts to myself.

Link- Legend of Zelda, TP
Madam Hooch
Der Tod (Elisabeth, Takarazuka)

Last edited by The Boss : 06-23-2013 at 11:09 AM.
The Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #33
jaredpresley

I typically don't wear wigs. I'm a guy and usually cosplay live action men(not anime/animated charecters), so maybe that has something to do with it?
jaredpresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #34
harmonyisarine

I manage to cosplay Katara and Korra without a wig. Not at the same time, since Katara's is way longer. But I have stupidly thick hair (painfully thick), and not too curly or frizzy so it's easy to tame when I want. Since I always forget to get it cut, it's usually at a similar length. I also don't mind putting in the extra time and effort to style my hair and think months ahead, since I think that real hair can look just as good or better than a wig, if you have the right hair and do it right.

That said, it's not as easy as a wig and so I completely understand when someone uses a wig over real hair.
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #35
animazn

welp I plan to cosplay Sugu from SAO without a wig. I cut my hair into a bob. Only problem is I dyed some of my hair green. But that's there to stay, so I'll just have green in my hair xD

Cosplay Page
Cosplays 2014:
Kirito-Gun Gale Online 30%
Akihito(dance version)-KNK 90%
Akihito(school version)-KNK 0%
Veigar-League of Legends 0%
Zabuza-Naruto 0%
Hikaru Hitachiin-OHHC 80%
Haru(Fem version)-Free! 10%
Ping-Mulan 30%
Sandwich-kun-SAO 10%
animazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #36
PoutyBear
Queen of the Bears

So far, most of the cosplays I want to do don't require a wig (Nightfall, Relm, Quistis, Gwen from HM, ect). Although for Quistis, my hair has layers in the front...so I'll just have to be Quistis who recently went to the salon. *playing it off* *nobody suspects otherwise* lol
PoutyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #37
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Personally, I prefer wigs over natural hair for cosplay. I just think it gives the outfit a more polished look. HOWEVER, I have seen some really awesome cosplays using the cosplayers natural hair, so I guess it all depends. In fact, my friend recently cosplayed Hungary and used her own hair and it looked pretty awesome! I think it's probably easier to use your real hair if you had brown or black hair--there's to much variation in lighter hair colors to get a good match. I know I have red hair, and I haven't come across any characters I could use my natural hair for (except maybe Jessica Rabbit, but even then it wouldn't be a very good match. Her hair is darker than mine).
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #38
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

I have two cosplays for which I use my actual hair as opposed to a wig (i don't count Ryo-ohki). They are both from a live-action series or movie, so I just feel it looks better to use my real hair.
However, I prefer to use wigs if I can help it. I personally like wigs, and they are so much easier to keep looking nice than my real hair. No matter how much product I use, my hair kinks up at the first sign of moisture, and I hate when it gets frizzy from walking around a convention all day long.
That's just me, though. I have friends who prefer to use their own hair rather than wigs.
So whatever floats your boat I guess ^^
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
Lemon-Squeezy

I'll be doing it for Margaery Tyrell. But mainly because I don't feel like dealing with a long wig ha ha

It also helps that Game of Thrones is live action so there is no unrealistic hair.

Kastucon 2015
Austrian Succession Spain - Hetalia
Ryuko (Maybe) - Kill la Kill
Flora (Maybe) - Professor Layton

Otakon 2015
Ryuko - Kill la Kill
Austrian Succession Spain - Hetalia
Flora - Professor Layton
Sasha Blouse - Attack on Titan
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #40
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou

I'm so jelly of people who can use their real hair for cosplay. I usually do Eowyn with my real hair and I may be able to pull of Relena Peacecraft with my natural hair but that would be after a lot of straightening and I would need to get fake bangs for it. Honestly my hair is so impossible, I have massive long amounts of it and it is very coarse and wirey doesn't straighten or take to styling well either. Even wearing a wig is difficult for me because keeping it flat on my head even with a wig cap is hard. Plus my hairline goes down very low on my forehead so I always have to choose a wig with bangs to hide the fact that my wig cap/ hairline will show.

Wow, sorry this kind of turned into a rant about my hair. Anyways yes I am very jealous of people who can get away without a wig for cosplay. ^^;
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #41
Sammie

I prefer using my real hair over a wig whenever I can because then my head won't feel so hot from stuffing my long hair under a wig. If the character has a hair color or style that is completely different from my normal hair style then yes I would go with the wig. I don't want to wreck my hair by dying it. Some hair colors are very hard to do with natural hair like silver.

For Haku and Violet I used my real hair and it turned out fine. Then again the hair length and style is pretty similar to my hair style.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #42
Hallowin

I have long black hair, i used my real hair for some characters, and i love wearing wig.
What
I
Love
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cosplay1

Cosplay2
~~~~~~~~~~~
Hallowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #43
Hera_

I would have used my own hair for Cinderella (Once Upon a Time) but I forgot I had the convention coming up and dyed my hair brown.
I will be using my own hair for Alice: Madness Returns next weekend
Alice - Alice: Madness Returns (Oz Comic Con Melbourne)
C.C. - Code Geass (AVCon Adelaide)
Sansa Stark - Game of Thrones (Supanova Adelaide, Armageddon Melbourne)
Upcoming Cosplays
Jane - Daria (unknown convention)
Hera_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
Gummibar

I say whatever makes you comfortable.

I did for Madison Paige and Yuna, when I had it at my shoulders. It's pretty nice and relaxing. But I can't get away with it because I have short hair.
Gummibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #45
Blair M.Lozano

maybe whether use a wig or not depends on the character you want to cosplay. Some characters such as students from Harry Potter just use natural wig,but other anime characters such as Miku, you have to use wig if you want to cosplay her. Do you agree with me?