Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
A-hardie

Smoking cosplay?

I once saw a demon cosplay where the person had smoke flowing from under their clothes. Any suggestions how to do this?
A-hardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
LoliLovely
They Can't Fire Me I Quit

Well first of all, some conventions/places dont allow smoke of any kind, so I would check wherever you are going to be sure you arent breaking any rules.

As for the smoke:
There are mini fog machines you could put in the costume maybe? Sew specific pockets and place it in them? I dunno xD
LoliLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
A-hardie

They MAKE mini smoke machines?
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

For a controlled photoshoot, okay - but inside a convention you might be compromising other people's ability to breathe and enjoy the event - even if the convention wound allow it. On stage at en event might be okay since the stage should be designed with that kind of thing in mind (although sometimes conventions don't have actual stage areas).

Just saying because you might not have considered it.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Sticks
First Sergeant Melchiott

I saw this thread and completely misunderstood the subject. XD I agree completely with Kelley on this one. Smoking within the con definitely doesn't sound like a good, nor safe idea just because you've got so many people around you.

But for a photoshoot? Now THAT would be pretty bad a$$! I'd utilize the mini fog machines if you can find them, but I wouldn't use them inside of a convention setting, unless you were at a gathering of some sort, where at least it could be controlled exposure.

Either way I would recommend exercising good judgment and common courtesy, and I think you'll kick lotsa butt.

AND I WANT PHOTOS!!!!!!!! XD This sounds so freaking COOL!!!!

"Giving up is what kills people. When you refuse to give up, you transcend your humanity."- Alucard

2014 Conventions:
AnimeBoston (tentative)
Momocon
Dragon*Con
AWA
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Amanita

I saw another costume online that had a smoke machine hidden in it- I'd link to a pic, but unfortunately the subject matter was rather crass, meant to make fun of a historical event.
Kind of a shame they used a cool idea (hiding a smoke/fog machine inside a costume) for something tasteless.

But the point is, it can be done. And I've seen fog makers that use nothing more than water vapor- none of the chemicals associated with most smoke machines. The ones that use pure water vapor are usually found in tabletop fountains, you can buy those various fountain components (I think Lee Valley might still sell them) and repurpose them. And when running something by a con for approval, a fog maker that uses pure water, with no chemicals that could irritate sensitive persons is a lot more likely to pass muster than those smoke machines that use some kind of chemical.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I saw in Heston Blumenthal's videos that you can create smoke by using dry ice or frozen baking soda (which is the same thing) and adding water, just being careful of not touching it or you'll freeze your hands.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Sammie

Dry ice works best with warm water for creating the fog effect. Be careful when working with dry ice because it isn't something that you want to inhale since it is pretty much frozen carbon dioxide. Small amounts won't hurt but inhaling too much can cause make you feel light headed.

Dry ice isn't the same thing as baking soda. For baking soda to produce that gas reacting you need to mix it with vinegar and it doesn't seem to produce the similar fog effect as dry ice.

If you can get a hold of a mini fog machine that is small enough to wear that would be pretty sweet. The thing that seems to come to my mind that is pretty small are the e cigs.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Amanita

Yeah, for something that's going to be worn, I would be very hesitant to use dry ice, because of the damage it might do in case of an accident- having it come into contact with yours or anyone else's skin would be a bad thing. I'd stick with something water based, like the e-cigs, or the fountain fog maker I mentioned earlier.
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
A-hardie

hmmmm, I HAVE seen the pure smoke system, Suppose I worked with something like that? And I DID once use a dry ice rig, but I wore a leather undershirt to protect my skin. I have asked the con organisers, they seem to think it will be fine.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
Proturnal
Nom-ifacation achieved !

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-bat...-machine.shtml

Small, Battery operated, concealable.
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #12
Blair M.Lozano

For every cosplayer, we have to keep the convention etiquette in mind. Be polite and respect to other cosplayers. At many large cons, no smoking.
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair M.Lozano View Post
For every cosplayer, we have to keep the convention etiquette in mind. Be polite and respect to other cosplayers. At many large cons, no smoking.
I think you missed the entire point of this thread by not reading any of it....

But I also think you're a bot....
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
A-hardie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proturnal View Post
http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-bat...-machine.shtml

Small, Battery operated, concealable.
First of all, thank you for finding what is all but a perfect unity, except for a single issue, price. The idea i have so far for getting the distribtion I need is a loop of hose with holes punched in it going down my arm, around my neck, down the other arm before terminating across my body
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Amanita

^This looks like it would be just what you need. However, DO check with your con to see what the rules are, you may only be able to use it during the costume contest, or it may end up just being used for photoshoots.