Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 06-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Mnguyen8097
MixFotography

Bag checks this year at AX

Some people have been telling me that there's bag checks at AX this year. Can anyone confirm? This seems like it's gonna be a huge pain in the ass for photographers -that are gonna be walking in and out of the con all day; and also an enormous waste of time, as the TSA has shown us -_-.
Mnguyen8097 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Access

There has been bag check every year I have been there,
http://www.anime-expo.org/information/
and click on 'bag check' tab
kinda expensive I remember the years when it was only $1. to $3. for all day depending on the size of the bag. Now it is $5. to $15. which really seems like gouging (IMO).
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
There has been bag check every year I have been there,
http://www.anime-expo.org/information/
and click on 'bag check' tab
kinda expensive I remember the years when it was only $1. to $3. for all day depending on the size of the bag. Now it is $5. to $15. which really seems like gouging (IMO).
I think he's referring to mandatory security checks of your bag, not a place where you can leave your bag while you walk around. I think he's saying that every time you enter the exhibit hall or the convention area, if you're carrying a bag, they will have to screen it for weapons or anything dangerous. Many Photogs carry bags with them for extra lenses, camera, and supplies and since we're constantly moving around the entire convention in search for great cosplay, we might be subject to frequent bag checks which could discourage many photographers from making their usual rounds. I could be wrong though or maybe he just misread a post or something.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Access

No if that is the case I'll be he is probably referring to this:

Quote:
Anime ExpoŽ would like to advise our attendees that we will be implementing enhanced security procedures for AX2013, including bag inspection at points of entry. It is our mission to provide an enjoyable and safe environment for everyone. If you have any questions on our safety and security policies, please refer to http://www.anime-expo.org/information/ for more details.
Realistically though, I think there are simply too many points of entry to patrol them all. They tried this back in 2010 (they weren't checking bags but were trying to keep people without badges out) and it was an utter failure. Unless they plan on patrolling all the side entrances and even the underground ones (this would take in excess of 40 people) I don't think it is possible. The LA Convention Center isn't like Anaheim or San Diego.
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Mnguyen8097
MixFotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykeJack View Post
I think he's referring to mandatory security checks of your bag, not a place where you can leave your bag while you walk around. I think he's saying that every time you enter the exhibit hall or the convention area, if you're carrying a bag, they will have to screen it for weapons or anything dangerous. Many Photogs carry bags with them for extra lenses, camera, and supplies and since we're constantly moving around the entire convention in search for great cosplay, we might be subject to frequent bag checks which could discourage many photographers from making their usual rounds. I could be wrong though or maybe he just misread a post or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
No if that is the case I'll be he is probably referring to this:

Realistically though, I think there are simply too many points of entry to patrol them all. They tried this back in 2010 (they weren't checking bags but were trying to keep people without badges out) and it was an utter failure. Unless they plan on patrolling all the side entrances and even the underground ones (this would take in excess of 40 people) I don't think it is possible. The LA Convention Center isn't like Anaheim or San Diego.

You guys are both right. I'm talking exactly about AX screening everyone's bags. They said they were doing it at every entry point -and every time you walk back inside the convention (should you leave to go eat lunch or just wander around for gatherings /photoshoots outside). I just confirmed it over on their facebook page that they're actually going to start it this year.
Mnguyen8097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

I don't see how they can feasibly do this without ruining the experience of the convention. I doubt they'll have the manpower to keep lines low and I suspect that either half way through the day they'll stop, they'll limit their bag checks to the exhibit hall, or they are going to close down multiple entrances to the convention.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

I'm not sure it'll be that big a deal for photographers. At events, once security sees a ton of photo gear crammed into a bag, they let me through pretty quickly. Very rarely am I asked to take my camera body or any lenses out.

I find the biggest issue is usually people who:
a) Bring things that are not allowed and/or spend a lot of time arguing with security
b) People who aren't prepared to have their bags checked and take forever taking them off, opening them, etc. and thereby hold up the queue.

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnguyen8097 View Post
You guys are both right. I'm talking exactly about AX screening everyone's bags. They said they were doing it at every entry point -and every time you walk back inside the convention (should you leave to go eat lunch or just wander around for gatherings /photoshoots outside). I just confirmed it over on their facebook page that they're actually going to start it this year.
Anyone can claim anything, but we'll see what actually happens at the convention itself. If it's too much of a problem, I'm sure we'll figure out some workarounds.

They can certainly patrol entry to the dealer's rooms and panel halls, but realistically, I don't think they can do much more than that. Remember if they want to hire extra security to assist, they need special training, and dogs, and on top of that, it's at least time-and-a-half or double time because this is the 4th of july holiday and/or the weekend. It all gets rather expensive in the end. If they create huge lines, they'll end up simply keeping people out of the convention center and if they create too much of a hassle, split up groups, and make people late or miss their events, people aren't going to come back or will find another large con to go to.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

If anyone's still wondering, they do it at the exterior doors and they just glance at the inside of the bag. It just takes a second and, when there's a line, it's short and moves quickly.