Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 06-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
StarcaIler

What should I do? Commissioner MIA

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area...

Long story short, my commissioner who I have already paid half of the cost to, is MIA. I commissioned Togame from Katanagatari back in Late March/Early April needing it by June. The Con I wanted it for was June 9th, and sadly she didnt have it done or have progress photos.

Her communication had been notoriously slow, and a few others on this site have had communication problems with her as well. She is a polish commissioner - But now I am worried because on May 19th she emailed saying I would get progress photos that weekend, and I havent heard a thing IN A MONTH! I have tried emailing her a few times since then, and nothing. I know she is around though, she has been active on her Cos.com account...

So what do I do? I am not a mean person, I like to think I am quite patient... and I dont want to just go around slandering her name, hence why I am leaving her name out of it for now but I am upset that I am out half the cost AND the costume still...
StarcaIler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I say you message her on every site you know she is on including this one. Post a review in the review thread with her name so that no one else is risking getting something from her. If after all these efforts and still no response you may have to make threads/posts about her to get her attention. See if you are not alone on this..odds are someone else is dealing with the same problem.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Shirayuki~Chan

I'm sorry this happened to you, but it looks like she's not going to finish it. Like Rangiku said, message her on every site that you know of, and tell her you either want a refund or you'll give her an F in the review thread. She's avoiding you, and honestly if a commissioner can't make a deadline, you shouldn't give her anymore money- especially if she's flaky and is ignoring you.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Missing your deadline with no explanation is the point at which you're allowed to stop being nice.

Word your emails/PMs/messages politely, but be firm. Let your commissioner know that you would like your costume or a refund, don't leave the loophole of "I just want information" or they may take the easy way out and give you more excuses instead of either a costume or your money. And go ahead and give them an honest review anyway - because it serves as a word of warning to others, as well as opens the door for anyone else having problems with the same commissioner to either help you come to some sort of resolution, or find the courage to leave their own poor reviews so that no one else goes to this commissioner.

Even if life has seriously intervened and something tragic has happened, and they wouldn't be able to finish your costume, a good commissioner will email or message all of their customers to inform them that something has happened in their life that means there will either be a very long delay or no costume at all. And then do their best to offer refunds to those who still don't have costumes. Seeing this happen time and time again, I need to offer a word of warning to would-be commissioners as well as clients: if you want to be taken seriously, you must be forthright and up-front with your customers. If you can't do it, fix the situation. If you just don't want to do it anymore, then don't take commissions.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
StarcaIler

WELL, after sending her PM's and Emails she finally did contact me back. She apologized profusely and assured me she would finish it by the 12th of July as well as give me a steep discount. If she does live up to her word then I will continue to be polite and give a fair review. The quality of her work is nothing but amazing, but lack of communication makes commissioning a bit frustrating.
StarcaIler is offline   Reply With Quote