Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

hair health

so ive been rather plagued by dandruff since the mid 90's, ive tried every AD shampoo
in stores near me, to no respite,
latley ive been browsing the web to see if i could find somthing other that the standard,
shampoo advert or lemon oils and vinager lifetime treatment regimin

also ive began to think up extreme methods of a permenant fix
(i shouldnt get into)

but today i found this...
http://www.ridiculouslyextraordinary...d-itchy-scalp/

it seem to be an old blog or whatever,
for those who dont want to read it, it basically says this guy stoped using product
on his head at all, just a good thorough rinse of warm water, and he says his hair
is clean/healthy in apperance and feel, with no smell or excess oil

im thinking of giving this a shot, and wanted to see if anyone heard/tried this method
of hair care, and general opinions,
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
pokkypok

I have heard of this no shampoo hair care. I'm not sure about it's effect on dandruff, but it can work if you're willing to go through a period of adjustment where it'll be very gross and oily. It's actually supposed to be better for your hair in the long run.

Depending on how long your hair is, some people wash their hair either with "no poo" shampoo or apple cider vineager and use a light conditioner once a week or so.

Before trying it out I'd do a little more research on its effects on dandruff. Everyone is different, so you never know, it could cause more dandruff on some people! Like this guy said he had an oily scalp, the effects could be different on someone eith a dryer scalp. try googling something like "no shampoo dandruff" and see if you can find any more testimonials. Maybe you could add some tea tree oil to the treatment, it's supposed to help against dandruff or something.
pokkypok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Somethingducky

I also have some very stubborn dandruff. Try looking into sulfate-free shampoo, many people are sensitive to sulfates and don't realize it. Play around with some more basic natural brands or even solid shampoo bars. Another big thing I've noticed is temperature. In the summer I have less flakes because I'm taking cold showers and I suspect that hot water drys out my scalp in the winter.

If all else fails consider consulting with a dermatologist, some people have fungal or bacterial infections on their scalp causing the flakes and a round of antibiotics may be what is called for.
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
luy22

I had terrible dandruff before switching to no-poo methods. My hair was greasy, disgusting, and if I lifted the matted wad of fuzz that was my hair I could see thick white crust at the base. It was horrific.

Then I read up on no poo stuff, because apparently most shampoos have sulfates that strip natural oils from hair? Anyways, I had started out during winter break, so I had plenty of time to adjust, and let me tell you it is one hell of a transition phase (lasting about five-six weeks).

I went up to the store and bought some Apple Cider Vinegar and some baking soda, which was seriously super cheap! Less than a dollar for each! What you do is you put the baking soda in a cup, about half a cup, and then pour in a bit of water until it forms a paste, and then carefully rub that onto your scalp. Not the entire mane, mind you. Just the tippy top of your head.

Now, while this is sitting upon your dome, you wanna get out the apple cider vinegar (acv), and add one cup acv to one cup water, so that it's 50/50. Bring this appley wallpley concoction of cleansing with you up into your shower, and turn it on.

When showering, the first thing you want to do is obviously wash out the baking soda. Use warm-hot water at first, this will open up the pores on the scalp. Once it's out, turn off the water, and CAREFULLY, CARRRREFULLY pour the 50/50 mix of acv-water (which by now may be diluted quite a bit), evenly across your scalp, and wait about 3-15 minutes. The longer, the better. While you wait, wash the rest of your body off with soap or shave, or something to pass the time. ACV can condition hair, get rid of gunk, and just clean everything up. Also it's crammed full of vitamins and nutrients that's good for hair.

Now once your hair is dripping and smelling like an apple orchard, rinse it out with cool-cold water, slowly make it get colder and colder until you can't handle it any longer. This locks in the moisture, and closes up all the pores. If you can afterwards, just let it air-dry. I'm a guy with medium hair, so air drying is not really an issue for me.

Do this about once a week, and maybe try every other day with just water, eventually you'll get through.

As long as I don't get too sweaty, I could do this once a week and have clean, perfect hair all week long. Eventually you can try doing water-only washing, and acv-only washing.

Good luck, I hope I've helped a little bit. You don't have to do what I had done, it's just my 2 cents. As I said, I've got no dandruff at all anymore, and my head feels so wonderful.