Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 05-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
emmisu
King of Toast

Filling meals for boyfriend?

Hey guys!

So recently my boyfriend has been complaining about his pizza hut belly (from working there during the summer) and we've been trying to work together on getting in better shape.

I've been going to the gym, he doesn't have the drive to do that.

So I've been trying to cook healthy and cut portions but there's one problem- he has a HUGE appetite. He sits and plays video games and just says he's hungry all the time, even if he's just finished a meal he wants more.

Now, I cook every night and I'm no stranger to stretching food- but we have a tiny budget and he eats as much as three people some nights.
I've tried things like adding refried beans (he doesn't like the texture of whole beans, though I put them in anyway)
And making hearty vegetable soups with greens and fiber, but he just keeps wanting more food.

So basically, what are some things I can do to make cheap and filling meals that won't cost an arm and a leg (from being expensive OR me having to make a literal ton of it)
Or should I be putting fiber supplements in his food so it fills him up better?

Also I'm trying to encourage him to work out a little - if you know how to motivate a gamer please tell me because I can't do it!

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Zalgo

Honestly, he has to want to help himself. While I am not too educated on food that fills I can say that with what he does and if he eats as much as you say he does he is just going to get bigger. Now, I can relate pretty much to what he does since I do the same lol...still live with parents who cook most of my meals and I PC game pretty much all day. Difference is I try to burn atleast 300-500 calories a day while keeping track of my intake so I don't go under or over my recommended calorie intake.

As for the motivation part, the thing that motivated me was not only cons but actually looking at myself in the mirror and realizing that my gut was getting bigger and its only going to get bigger if I kept up my terrible diet with no exercise. The best thing to do is find something that you think will motivate HIM to want to change his diet/workout habits, whether it be educating him and trying to show him what could happen if he keeps it up (obesity, high cholesterol, diabetics..etc) or whatever..in the end it all falls on him wanting to change and having the motivation to keep up with it. What could work is trying to ease him into it by trying to get him to go on short walks with you every day or something.
Zalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Bovice

More vegetables. If he can eat a bag of brocoli and still be hungry, I tip my hat to him.

Get the macros you need (Proteins; good carbs, etc.) Fill the rest with low calorie greens (green beans, brocoli, etc.) and it's guaranteed to fill him.

A lb of mixed veggies for example is only 250-300 calories.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
dragonwiddd

From what it sounds like he is not actually hungry. You said he doesnt have the drive to workout like you do, so right off the bat his body isnt metabolizing things for fuel like someone who works out so and second, he sits and plays video games all day so, again, his body doesnt really need that much fuel. It sounds like he is bored while playing video games and uses food to occupy himself even when he isn't hungry. Its the same thing as if you were sitting on the couch watching TV alot, you're more prone to grab a bag of chips to occupy yourself, even if you arent hungry. It's a mental thing.
dragonwiddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
he has a HUGE appetite. He sits and plays video games and just says he's hungry all the time, even if he's just finished a meal he wants more...Now, I cook every night and I'm no stranger to stretching food- but we have a tiny budget and he eats as much as three people some nights...if you know how to motivate a gamer please tell me because I can't do it!
Personally, I don't mess around with temptation and food discipline. If it's not on my diet, or has sugar, I simply don't ever buy it.

I'd work on getting him to run, that's where I would start.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
bunnielove
BunnieLove

Hey girl. I know this is super old but my boyfriend is a gamer too, and honestly, he didn't start attempting to get back in shape until we went to a con and he noticed a super hot, ripped cosplayer trying to chat me up. Since this whole situation happened by circumstance, I'm not really sure how to give you an adult, uncompromising answer. In my experience, however, men don't like to be left behind, so I would say that you should keep being your fabulous healthy self, and simply restrict the amount of food you make. His stomach will get used to the smaller portions, and if you do most of the grocery shopping, don't buy any snackables like chips. If he's a mindless muncher, head over to epicurious.com and find some munchy recipes that you can make huge amounts of (think dip, ants on a log, etc) and start incorporating them into your daily menus. Also, consider going through old pictures of the two of you (before the belly) and simply say, "wow, you look so hot here". He'll get the point. Mine always does lol.
bunnielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Connector
Master Adept

I used to play alot of sports, but got hit by car while bike riding, so haven't been able to play much cause of my injury. I have a sports build, so I too tend to eat alot expecially when I excercise alot. But for some reason, vegetables don't seem to last very long, I get hungry in a couple of hours.

Steak seems to work well, but it is kinda expensive. I like fish alot too like broiled salmon, but it too is kinda expensive. Guess protein seems like good fuel and keeping me full, but I also try to eat a well balanced diet.

I guess this doesn't really help much, just though I would add my 2 cents worth.

thechatroom.freeforums.net

Cosplay Pictures are in the Photo Album Section
Connector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Has he tried the 5 meals per day! Not big portions of course, just resonable snack-sized portions. He could try Japanese food too, it's not so belly-expanding, it's light and it makes you feel full, specially sushi.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
building227

your piece of cake is hungry all the time because he doesn't drink enough water. he's not hungry, he's thirsty. and if he doesn't get enough water and electrolytes, he's gonna to be crapping rocks. (so put some gatorade on the table)
building227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Kaniki

^ Exactly what they said.

If he hydrates more, he'll be less likely to eat as much. Plus it will help him lose 'water weight'.

I feel your pain, lovely. My husband is the same way. >.o He can eat me through house and home. But something that bothers me is he eats just out of boredom or to have something to do. I tried even getting him to go swimming this summer but he'd rather sit inside and play a game. I'm all for that but its just how he lacks the motivation to work out. Try using a reward system for him going to the gym maybe?
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
BevoSwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwiddd View Post
From what it sounds like he is not actually hungry... It sounds like he is bored while playing video games and uses food to occupy himself even when he isn't hungry. Its the same thing as if you were sitting on the couch watching TV alot, you're more prone to grab a bag of chips to occupy yourself, even if you arent hungry. It's a mental thing.
They actually done studies on this, people who sit in front of a tv tend to eat more. Your mind does t realize how much your eating while being entertained by a television or game. Pay attention to him next time he does it, look how big of a portion he eats per hand compared to normally not in front of tv it's usually way bigger portion. A buddy of mine helped his cravings by eating a banana or an apple before around 30 minutes before playing games, it tends to trick the stomach it's a little more full than it actually is when you do tend to snack or eat a meal. If he doesn't want to join you then try making him do that before gaming if not there's always jealousy like some one else said lol. Just be like "ok, I'm going to the gym to work out around a bunch of hott fit guys in my tight yoga pants, see ya later" or something like that maybe that'll change his mind lol
BevoSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #12
packingabox

While this situation is TOTALLY him, and shouldn't be pushed onto you, if you want him to get more in shape, try inviting him out to do things outside. Reminisce on how you two used to have so much fun together, and guilt trip him into doing things with you. You could just take walks around places, have a picnic and play frisbee together, or things like that. He probably doesn't want to go to the gym because of the negative connotation it has to a gamer. If that's the case, try things that don't automatically spell out "painful exertion".
packingabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #13
Bovice

What negative connotation? This is the first I've heard of this lol
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
packingabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
What negative connotation? This is the first I've heard of this lol
lol It's basically the idea that going to a gym means you'll be in pain, by your choice, for 30 minutes or more, with little immediate reward. All things that gamers (like me, unfortunately) tend to avoid until they are directly exposed by demands of an outside force. For me, it was boot camp.
packingabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packingabox View Post
lol It's basically the idea that going to a gym means you'll be in pain, by your choice, for 30 minutes or more, with little immediate reward. All things that gamers (like me, unfortunately) tend to avoid until they are directly exposed by demands of an outside force. For me, it was boot camp.
Gamer here. Love subjecting myself to extended periods of pain for an absolutely huge delayed and immediate reward.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote