Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #46
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I cosplay alone all the time because no one else wants to cosplay the same things as me.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #47
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
Hmmm...maybe you can find more friends at conventions who would be more willing to take you through the process of making your cosplays. If not you could always look up tutorials on YouTube. That's how I (recently) learned how to use the sewing machine in my house and learned to sew a vest lol Some of those tutorials are really great and easy to follow
They are but still I have to know the existence of techniques in order to find tutorials for them like applique. I had no idea that such a thing even existed till recently. -_-; Ignorance sucks.

However, I do have other cosplay friends at conventions already. ^^ (I've got to many friends maybe....I bounce around from group to group at conventions a lot) My cosplay group in particular are all about the same or less skill level as myself, but we've been working on it together via webcam. But er... I never realized how lucky I am to have stumbled (dragged) into a cosplay group who do the same series as myself and none mind doing couple cosplays. *sweatdrop* Benefits of living on a tiny island with huge asian influence? O.o . .

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #48
Sammie

When I see kids wearing really well made cosplays I'm too scared to ask for pictures of them. Kind of because I'm afraid the parents would think I'm weird for wanting a picture of a kid.

I mean I find it really cute when I see the parent with a matching cosplay with the kid but yeah. >.<
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #49
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbleyes View Post
Confession 1: I do secretly judge my friend's cosplays. Just wishing I could tell them that something doesn't look good or they need to fix a few things. Yet I encourage them. I'm a horrible person.

Confession 2: I hate when people bail on me last minute for a cosplay or hotel room for con. I pretend it's okay and say it's okay but it bugs the hell out of me. I'll carry that frustration up until the convention itself.
1: I do the same thing lol Except with my cosplay friend from college I tell her straight up that what she is doing isn't working because she makes it blatantly obvious (she's one of those glue-n-go kind of people, uses the hot glue gun for everything... and I mean EVERYTHING). It ends up making her cosplays look super sloppy because she doesn't use hot glue sparingly, it kinda just goes everywhere. So, I started telling her not to do that and urging her to learn how to sew properly.

2: You should probably tell your friends that then. I personally would never stand for that. You should probably set up ground rules for people who are staying in the hotel room with you. For those who want to stay, they need to get the payment to you by a certain date and if they need to back out of the hotel room, there should be a cutoff date for when that can happen. So say, before Anime Midwest, you would want to set a date like if a person agrees to be part of the room they need to have payment by mid May and if they back out of the room after the end of June, they still would need to pay their part of the room. Those types of rules are fair and should be set in place to save you the frustration and stress before the convention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
They are but still I have to know the existence of techniques in order to find tutorials for them like applique. I had no idea that such a thing even existed till recently. -_-; Ignorance sucks.

However, I do have other cosplay friends at conventions already. ^^ (I've got to many friends maybe....I bounce around from group to group at conventions a lot) My cosplay group in particular are all about the same or less skill level as myself, but we've been working on it together via webcam. But er... I never realized how lucky I am to have stumbled (dragged) into a cosplay group who do the same series as myself and none mind doing couple cosplays. *sweatdrop* Benefits of living on a tiny island with huge asian influence? O.o . .
Ohhh I see what you mean xD That is true, can't search for it if you don't know the name of it. lol I think I encounter that problem too. I don't know very many technical sewing terms or very many techniques :P

That's awesome then! I don't think I really have groups that I go to when I go to cons, but I do know a few individuals really well that I usually see at conventions. My cosplay friends are at around the same or less skill level than me too so it's hard for us to learn from each other. I have never been part of a cosplay group yet though, I hope to start one of my own someday. I want to start either a Depp cosplay group or a POTC group

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #50
The Boss
Mentor

My confession: I hate it when I see/meet other cosplayers from the same series/same character and finally get the courage to walk up to them and say hi and do a little small-talk and after the con I write with those people and hear nearly always things like "I was afraid to talk to you. I saw you walking around and couldn't find the courage to say hi"

This always makes me feel like a) my cosplays are REALLY really bad (like horrible bad or couldn't be any worse-bad) and they don't want to say hi because of that
or b) when they directly tell me "your cosplay was so awesome that I couldn't find the courage to talk to you" I think...."MAN do I look like a bitch/ snobby cospayer who looks down on others?????" Because I am srsly NOT ;___; I LOVE to talk to and meet new people. and yeah it's somehow always me making the first step ;-; I know it's silly but I srsly doubt if I have some sort of an arrogant/unfriendly aura/glare or....I don't know... I often get messages from people I never met after the con...complimenting my cosplays and ALWAYS the "I was too scared to talk to you because your costume was so awesome".
I know I should take this as a compliment... but I really don't think I'm THAT good. mediocre at best maybe...I see myself still as a beginner and it's sad that sometimes when my friends aren't around I'm standing around alone and no one talks to me, just glares..... and then kowing that I COULD have had some nice conversations but somehow I scare people off oo°

That's why I usually just walk up to cosplayers from the same series/character and talk and they're all REALLY sweet people.
I'm really sick of hearing those things. Really. I am not that super-awesome-good, or scary..or bitchy..or...whatever... I really love to meet new people! just talk to me if you want to and don't be scared..I don't bite ;_;

Link- Legend of Zelda, TP
Madam Hooch
Der Tod (Elisabeth, Takarazuka)

Last edited by The Boss : 06-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.
The Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #51
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
I have an imaginary best friend in my head who cosplays just like me and I like making up scenarios where the two of us are having a good time. /forever alone
OMG. I do this too! 0_0 Only I picture a group of awesome people.

Also I tend to judge my cosplays harshly against my friend's. Like I think that their cosplays looks so much better and perfect and mine are just...blah in comparison. >_<

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #52
Wizardly

My best friend and I used to cosplay everything together, it was kind of our thing. She had these cosplays she was really into and promised she would do with me, like she would do Sakura while I cosplayed Syaoran, which I've already bought.

Then she got into Homestuck and it has been at least a year and a half, and she still hasn't even started on any of those cosplays she swore and promised on. In the mean time she has gotten cosplays for at least 5 new Homestuck characters and two from a game she bought on a whim. And now the only thing she talks about is Homestuck.

I know it's selfish but sometimes I wish she never got into that fandom and maybe I would still be cosplaying with her because it would be a lot of fun when we did pairs together. But I'm also jealous that now the only people she talks to are Homestuck fans, not so much me anymore and all the things we liked, and I feel just all of that makes me not like the fandom itself, which also makes me feel bad because I know it's not right and I shouldn't and otherwise have no reason to. Like it literally ripped her away from me even though I know we can obviously like different things. >.<;

Then I realize that cosplay was the only thing keeping us together since I'm out of school and we are basically drifting, and it kind of kills me inside a little bit.
Wizardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #53
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I would like to take my OC costume to a con, but I don't feel secure doing it alone since it's my first one and people here is not familiar with OC cosplays, I would as a couple cosplay if I had a friend who did the female counterpart.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 06-28-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #54
darth_horo
This is my scary face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
When I see kids wearing really well made cosplays I'm too scared to ask for pictures of them. Kind of because I'm afraid the parents would think I'm weird for wanting a picture of a kid.

I mean I find it really cute when I see the parent with a matching cosplay with the kid but yeah. >.<
I know the feels

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
darth_horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #55
BlueHex
North America B.S.A.A.

I always secretly hope to see someone dressed as the other half of my OTP that I'm cosplaying, only for us to hit it off and be able to walk around the con together holding hands or kissing for pictures I always work so hard, obsessively hard, with extreme attention to detail, so that when I finally get to a con...the chances of finding someone up to par with the quality I try to portray, is extremely slim. Even slimmer is the chance of finding a dude willing to act out my yaoi OTPs, because you see, I almost always crossplay.

It leaves me feeling really isolated and alone and it's ridiculous.
Izumicon (November 1st-November 3rd 2013)

Working on:
Piers Nivans (priority)
Paker Luciani
Alex Shepherd
Jonah Hex
Alan Wake
BlueHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #56
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsong View Post
I cosplay alone all the time because no one else wants to cosplay the same things as me.
Same here. Sometimes my friends come up with the idea to cosplay the same series but we each come up with it on our own. I have a lot of trouble planning a group cosplay.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #57
erwneoten

I pick slutty outfits to cosplay because I've got the body for it and being oogled gives me confidence.
erwneoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #58
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
I would like to take my OC costume to a con, but I don't feel secure doing it alone since it's my first one and people here is not familiar with OC cosplays, I would as a couple cosplay if I had a friend who did the female counterpart.
Don't be scared to cosplay an OC, I do it all the time Just come up with a short and simple explanation for when people ask who you are, so you avoid the dreaded info dump that some OC cosplayers do, reciting their character's whole life story.

Here's my confession- I've said that I don't look down on beginner cosplayers who make honest efforts, even if they have more enthusiasm than skill. But I read an article from somebody at Phoenix comic-con that had me rolling my eyes. The author recounted how their five year old walked up to a lady who appeared to be wearing only a bra, panties, and cat ears and tail, and asked the lady why she was in her undies, or what she was supposed to be. The woman giggled and answered "I guess I'm a kitty in panties!"

As much as I try to be non judgmental, that kind of "costume" annoys the crap out of me. It's lazy on every level. No effort to make- just grab some odds and ends from the underwear drawer and halloween dress up stuff. No thought put into it- the lady herself wasn't sure what she was supposed to be, and pretty much admitted it when she said "I guess I'm a kitty in panties!"
Aside from the general "TMI" factor of seeing a stranger prance around in public in their lingerie, it really seems like the kind of thing that would be better suited to a bar or club halloween party than a geek culture convention.

(I say wearing underwear in public is TMI, but wouldn't be so bothered by a swimsuit bikini because of this- underwear is usually personal- only somebody intimate or closely related to the wearer would usually see it. So seeing somebody in their undies creates a bit of a feeling of "TMI" or forced familiarity. But swimsuits tend to be made of thicker fabric, often have lining, and are meant to be seen by the general public in most cases.)

Last edited by Amanita : 06-28-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #59
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoxJerk View Post
Wow, didn't know so many people had similar problems with wanting to do group/couplecosplays > .<

It's just personally irritating to me when I know I did a better job on my cosplay than say...someone else did that's in a group cosplaying the same series as I am, get more attention by photographers and people in general at a con just because they're in a group. I know that sounds so b-tchy and selfish, but LOL T vT I really can't help it. </3 -tired of solo cosplaying- I do have cosplaying friends, but they don't like the series that I do ):
Nah don't worry about being bitchy - I can understand where you're coming from. Group cosplays often give a lot of life to a series because you have characters interacting with each other instead of doing stuff by themselves, so there are a lot of different scenarios you could come up in addition to the classic "CHARACTER X LOOKING LIKE A BADASS!"

This is related to what you said, but is also sort of a confession: I would love to do a parody of The Herreys song called "Golden Shoes" but I don't have many friends and none of them cosplay, so it's never gonna happen.

Last edited by Captain Kaiba : 06-28-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #60
dvt
Luffy D. Freeks

IM HOPING TO MEET MY SEMPAI AT A CON/ELSE WISE COSPLAY RELATED THINGS!

also confession #2: if I were rich I would buy costumes instead of trying to make them!

also also confession #3: I wish I had a cosplay group but reading about all the drama people always have turns me off, you guys are freaks! and so my perception of the cosplay community always being kawaii uuguu desu desu chan with one another was shattered after reading some of these stories online about people backstabbing / being mean / etc '~' (so instead I've always just had a friend or 2 cosplay with me but never a "group" lol)
dvt is offline   Reply With Quote