Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 03-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
hobbit_marco
Hinata fanboy!

acting girlish

This forum has alot about how to look like a girl and vica versa. But I would like something about how to act girlish (I'm a guy, just so you're sure).

I would like to know a little bit more about how girls move and their posture. If anyone know some other tips that might me usefull.

Mind you, I'm not trying to be a drag-queen or something. So don't give me advise on how to put on make-up and stuff, I don't want to be That girlish. Maybe when I'm actually crossplaying I will put make-up on.
hobbit_marco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
Kanna-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit_marco
This forum has alot about how to look like a girl and vica versa. But I would like something about how to act girlish (I'm a guy, just so you're sure).

I would like to know a little bit more about how girls move and their posture. If anyone know some other tips that might me useful.
Well, I have realized that alot of girls I know tend to lean on one leg with their hips jutting out when they're just standing around... but that's just about all I've noticed... o.o I didn't help, did I?
Kanna-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
hobbit_marco
Hinata fanboy!

I knew that one already, but thanks for replying anyway. ^^

Do girls tend to stand/sit with their knees inward? I see it in anime sometime, but do girls do it in real life. I guess I'll start observing girls in my school. But if anyone finds out something usefull, don't hesitate to post!
Unread 03-29-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
yummyfire
womp womp

I dunno...
I mean, you could go for the "Cliche" somewhat of how a girl is *supposed* to act. I'll try to figure out some stuff, but I probably won't find anything useful. All the girls at my school... well, if they see me staring at them... eh, let's just say that there will be a "Love Hina" renactment. >_>

This message has been brought to you by your Lord and Master, Foamy Squirrel
yummyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #5
Kenjiro
Drunken Mudcrab

I think if you want to carry yourself more feminine like, you've got to remember to glide wherever you go.

I dont mean fly, float, or whatever, but the 'rule of thumb' is that women will glide a bit more than a stalky man. 'Heel-toe, heel-toe' works.

This may be biased, as when I crossplay, its usually in an elegant outfit or what not, but when it comes to sitting, I prefer to sit legs crossed, mainly to show off my legs, thereby promoting the misconception that I'm a sessy woman.

Its all about creating the illusion.

Last edited by Kenjiro : 03-29-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Kenjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #6
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

I canít speak for all women, but Iíll share some of my tendencies, that I notice a lot of other women have as well. When standing, womenís knees are often turned out slightly, feet at about a 45 degree angle, with the weight on one leg, which thrusts out the hips. Women also never have their hands just at their sides; theyíll either have their hands on their hips or their arms crossed.
Traditionally, women are supposed to sit with their legs together, ankles crossed. Most women today however sit with their legs crossed, unless they are wearing a very short skirt, or sitting at a table, where they will put their legs mostly together.
Women are generally a lot more expressive then men, so their facial expressions will often be more pronounced, and will change more frequently. Youíll typically see a lot more women smiling then men. Women also use their hands a lot more when the talk.
Hopefully this will help.
Kokuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 10:08 PM   #7
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

Also, there's a reasonably sized segment of girls who will walk around turned out... ballet dancers. They'll tend to glide a bit more, too.

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Mizuno Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
Kawaii Elric
Insert cool sentence here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno Tenshi
Also, there's a reasonably sized segment of girls who will walk around turned out... ballet dancers. They'll tend to glide a bit more, too.

Tenshi
I do ballet and I always walk with my feet turned out XD I also get the tendency to walk funny b/c I'm so used to wearing my pointe shoes (I hate them, they cost like $100 or more and you need to replace them every month *sighs*)
Kawaii Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #9
HyperrrMouse
Verdandi Mouse

Yah, DO NOT DRAG YOUR FEET, that's one of the biggest ones, women will not march, but we will not shuffle either. It seems shuffling is only done when very tired. Also when women slouch it is with their entire body, and accented in the stomache. Men slouch in the shoulders, a lot.
Best way to end the shoulder slouch (and i had to do posture exercises for horse riding and after car accident i was in, so i have good techniques) is puting a broomstick or large dowel behind your back and infront of the inside of your elbows. so together your elbows and back pull your shoulders back and out of the "boy slouch." Next practice the whole book on the head thing. Why? because it will make you more balanced, and help you shoulders. Shoulders open. Unless you are being flirty, then you shrug your shoulders up, not in.
When i walk i keep my legs in a perfectly straight line, i don't cross over, but my shoes often have scuff marks from bumping into eachother while i was walking. i think i walk heel to toe since my heels hurt often. don't sachet your hips too much, women do that naturally when they walk, but not excessivly.
I usually sit curled in a ball, rarely with feet touch the ground. or i prop my feet on things. i don't care about knees or ankles together, UNLESS i'm wearing a skirt. All you need to know about skirts is to not expose your underwear by any means necessary. Keep that in mind, and practice infront of a mirror, and you will know how to sit like a woman in a skirt.
Good luck! sorry if i talked too much, just trying to help ^^
Unread 03-29-2004, 10:22 PM   #10
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Elric
I do ballet and I always walk with my feet turned out XD I also get the tendency to walk funny b/c I'm so used to wearing my pointe shoes (I hate them, they cost like $100 or more and you need to replace them every month *sighs*)
$100 or more? Where the heck are you buying? Mine are around $60 at most. Only Gaynor Mindens should cost anyhwere near that much, and those should last a longer than a month.
www.discountdance.com

Anyhow... I haven't gotten to the point of walking funny from pointe shoes yet.

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Mizuno Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 10:29 PM   #11
Kawaii Elric
Insert cool sentence here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno Tenshi
$100 or more? Where the heck are you buying? Mine are around $60 at most. Only Gaynor Mindens should cost anyhwere near that much, and those should last a longer than a month.
www.discountdance.com

Anyhow... I haven't gotten to the point of walking funny from pointe shoes yet.

Tenshi
Thanks for the website , where they sale shoes where I live they cost about $100, which really sucks XD I usually use Russian Pointe or Grishko. The reason I walk funny is b/c I've been in pointe from age 9 till now (I'm 16) and I have to go to 15 classes a week (2 or 3 classes on some days) and my teacher is strict b/c I'm in a Ballet school/performance company (My teacher is harsh, especially to the advanced students ) I'm currently rehersing for a play and it really kills me going to rehersal practice from 9 a.m. till 8 p.m.

Last edited by Kawaii Elric : 03-29-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Kawaii Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 10:41 PM   #12
Cat Scratch
Half Queen Of Hades

Cat Scratch's Guide to Girlishness

So you want to know how to act like a woman, hmmmm? Well, her's a few tips. Some may have been stated before but repitition they say is a good teacher.

Step #1: guys, when wereing a skirt close your legs. The number of times I've seen a male in a skirt sit with their legs akimbo...oy. Keep the legs closed that's all I have to say about it. Women also tend to sit with legs crossed.

Step#2: Girls also tend to sway their hips a bit more when they walk. We can't help it, it's just the way we're built. So be aware of how your hips move when you walk and try to emphisize that movement more than usual.

Step#3: Try to be gentaler in your movements and gestures. Even in modern society women tend to be a bit more dainty or graceful in their body language than men. So try to be more aware of what you are doing with your hands and whatnot.

Step#4: A good way to figure out how to move and act "girly" is to obsearve women. Watch a movie or descreatly obsearve the women around you at home, work, ans school. Not every woman moves exactly the same and what she's wearing will change how she carries herself so try to obsearve women who are dress how you will be. Pay attention esspecialy to how the hips move, how the woman sits, and what part of the body she leads with (Hips, chest, nose, forehead, eyes) I know that sounds weird but try walking from your chest and then your hips. Go on, try it. Now. If you do so you'll notice that it feels and looks very different. If you have acting classes available to you I sugest taking them to learn more about how body language works.

Well, that's all I can say so far if I think of anything else I'll post it.
Unread 03-30-2004, 05:48 AM   #13
hobbit_marco
Hinata fanboy!

Thnx very much for the replies!
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:37 AM   #14
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

About the arm thing: Cross your arms lower. Girls cross their arms underneath where their boobs are. Guys tend to cross their arms higher.

I've seen girls in short skirts (and I do this myself in a short skirt) sit with their legs pressed together to the knee and then angled out for the calf down. Or we cross our legs, but put our legs off to an angle first.

Mana (yes, that Mana) is a guy but he tricks people into thinking he's a girl because he's a perfect example of a guy who moves and poses like a woman. XD Maybe look at some Mana pictures.
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:59 AM   #15
_Mandy_
Adventure Capitalist

Well, I am a girl, so hopefully this will help. When I stand and put my weight onto one leg, so my hip kinda juts out to one side and I cross my arms in front of me. If I'm standing with my feet together, my back usually arches...but this may just be because I'm a tumbler. I also walk turned out but that's from years of dance classes (I was never on pointe though...*sniffle* I took a lot of Jazz and HipHop...ballet too, but no pointe). I noticed my head often leans to one side when I'm listening to people too. Hope this helps.
_Mandy_ is offline   Reply With Quote