Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
belligerent
Viking Metal

Whatever, next time just tell them if they like fucking so much, they can go fuck themselves with a rake.

I don't like labels personally but the idea of participating in sex is extremely unappealing to me. I don't see the point. That doesn't mean I can't find people attractive on an aesthetic level, I just really don't have any interest in banging them.

Quote:
I feel like a bunch of cosplayers are asexual. At least most of the best ones. This is interesting to me.
Crossplayers or cosplayers in general?

Quote:
I suppose if most people cut sex out of their lives they would have more time to devote to other things.
How many hours of sex are people having in general if this is putting them that far behind the cosplay curve? If this were the case, single people would also be better cosplayers because they're also probably not having sex. Or am I just really out of touch with how much time sex takes??

Quote:
However, even people who identify as asexual can and do have sex for other reasons and can and do still experience romantic attraction (though not always). So in the end I don't think it really changes all that much.
Yeah, there are asexuals who don't mind having sex but don't particularly go about seeking it. I'm personally in an LDR with somebody else who identifies as asexual and considering the time difference and flying to the west coast a lot, I'm not sure how much time I'm actually saving, lol.

But I'm only good at crossplay because I already look like a (sexy) man. >.>
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Denmark
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #32
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I'm not asexual, but I seem to be nosexual currently through no fault of my own. I only do that in a LTR, not one night stands, because diseases (I'm a little bit of a germophobe).

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #33
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
How many hours of sex are people having in general if this is putting them that far behind the cosplay curve? If this were the case, single people would also be better cosplayers because they're also probably not having sex. Or am I just really out of touch with how much time sex takes??
It's not really just the act, but all the associated "drama" - like wanting it, whining about it, trying to get it, being stressed out about it, not getting it enough, fighting about it, et cetera. It seems like a lot of people's relationship problems have to do with sex and taking it out as a factor would free up significant time and energy.

And I would guess that the "average" person has sex more minutes a week than I usually work on cosplay. Granted, I'm lazy and only usually work a little each week.

I've wondered for a while if I fall somewhere on the "asexual" spectrum (I just don't really care about sex, actively dislike some of it, but I'm willing to give it a shot and maybe some day there'll be some act/person I like enough to actually like it), but I'm not really sure - and I'm not too worried about labelling it (just personally, not saying anyone is wrong to). I do think that not having sex as an active worry/complication/stress factor in my life has caused my life to be amazingly drama-free compared to what I hear from other people.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #34
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Speaking only for myself, I don't find that being sexual gets in the way of my cosplay. Money and skills are much more serious factors, and I'm working on those.

On the other hand, crossplay certainly doesn't get in the way of being sexual, either. My girlfriend is quite clear that she finds it extremely hot.

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #35
foxyv17

I've so far have only crossplayed as dudes and ones that I do are questioned about their sexual orientation. Me, I am straight.
Ritsuka-Loveless= Finished
Boris Airay- Alice in the country of hearts= 30%
Maybe~♥
Agito(wedding dress) -Air gear= 65%
Yoko kurama-YYH
foxyv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I've wondered for a while if I fall somewhere on the "asexual" spectrum (I just don't really care about sex, actively dislike some of it, but I'm willing to give it a shot and maybe some day there'll be some act/person I like enough to actually like it), but I'm not really sure - and I'm not too worried about labelling it (just personally, not saying anyone is wrong to). I do think that not having sex as an active worry/complication/stress factor in my life has caused my life to be amazingly drama-free compared to what I hear from other people.
It certainly seems to cause more trouble than I'm convinced it's worth. I actually didn't realize "asexual" was a thing until I met my SO, but it certainly explains a lot of stuff, like why I've never been interested (although unlike a lot of asexual people, I never thought anything was "wrong" with me. I guess I'm just naive to the amount of time and energy most people spend on sex, lol). So while I don't like to label myself, there's enough similar there that I can't really deny it describes me.

I like looking at dudes but have gotten to the point where I'm not sure what I would do if I had one, beyond paying him to be an art model or something. I really dislike the inequality of traditional "relationship" gender roles so I doubt I could date a dude at this point.

Luckily that's not an issue for me right now, heh.

Quote:
I've so far have only crossplayed as dudes and ones that I do are questioned about their sexual orientation.
I crossplay mostly manly gay dudes.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Denmark

Last edited by belligerent : 07-05-2013 at 10:19 PM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #37
Debitto_of_Bond
The Quaker Man

I've just begun crossplaying and I can safely say I'm heterosexual. My first crossplay was Tier Harribel from Bleach and for this coming Otakon I plan to do her Released form :3

Otakon 2013:

Tier Harribel (Sealed POSSIBLE RELEASED!): Bleach
Zoisite (Sailor Moon)
Myotismon (Digimon Adventure)
The Earl of Lemongrab: Adventure Time (Time Permitting)
TV's Frank: MST3K (Time and Panal Permitting)
Schuldig: Weiss Kruez
Lt. Surge: Pokemon

Magfest 2014:

Al Mualim
WARIO!! WAH! HA! HA!
Sabin Rene Figaro (possible Amano Version)
Debitto_of_Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #38
Nisshoku-san
Lurker

I don't crossplay since I try to prioritize comfort but this seems like a thing for both crossplay and genderbending. People just tend to make assumptions since knowing anything about a person tends to make them more at ease maybe. By crossplaying or genderbending, some may see that person associating themselves more with the opposite gender etc etc. They just need to realize orientation and who/how a person wants to cosplay can be mutually exclusive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoxJerk View Post
I had someone tell me that it was "unnatural" and impossible to be asexual when I told him I identified myself as such.
Heh. Anything done by humans is already labeled as artificial and thus unnatural anyway. I have no problems with being called that. Should've asked him "It's possible to have your own definition be impossible?.... ok..."

Active: Yasaka Kanako

Under Construction: Komeiji Satori(MK2), Komeiji Koishi(MK2), Tatara Kogasa

Hiatus: Houjuu Nue(GB), Akemi Homura(GB)

Planning: Kaku Seiga(GB), Tatara Kogasa, Kijin Seija(GB), Kaenbyou Rin

Future: Giginka Ultralisk, Ion Felipe, Sakura Kyoko(GB), Brock, Giovanni, Tyrant Swain

Retired: Shirogane Naoto
Nisshoku-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #39
Chryso

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
But I'm only good at crossplay because I already look like a (sexy) man. >.>
Off topic for a moment;

Belligerent, I fear that one day just one more photo of your sexy man arms will finally implode these forums from the sheer sexy that they are.

Right, back on topic. Carry on.

Run without rivals
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #40
SirSlarty
Seizon Senryakuuuuuuuuuuu

For statistical purposes, I'm a straight MtoF crossplayer.

People have thought that I'm gay without the frilly skirt on. :/
Kaguya Houraisan • Kosuzu Motoori • Yuki • Remilia Scarlet

Others
Ringo Oginome Mawaru Penguindrum • Aoi Yamada Working!! • Ume Shiraume Ben-To
SirSlarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #41
sandra03

I'm straight and married, but crossplaying with a female friend at otakon. I fully expect some people to assume we are a couple. and I really don't care. I'm very much a supporter of gay marriage and equality and really would not be insulted or offended or anything if someone thought I was gay, since it's not a bad thing. Plus it's none of their business :P

anyway whether it's crossplay or not I just chose characters I like that I thought would be fun to cosplay, male or female didn't really matter in that decision, but I also chose based on how easily and cheaply I could pull them together since it's my first year doing it and money is tight. Besides, I enjoy gender bender type stories for some reason, like Hana Kimi etc, and BL. it has nothing to do with orientation or anything, they're just fun, and being able to express that sense of fun and daring among other people who "get it" is pretty cool.
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #42
ponpon

Well I'm asexual, i haven't even kissed yet and I'm in my 30s lol but I consider myself straight because I find women's fashion so alluring and I am very attracted to females. Anime Expo 2013 was my first time Cosplaying as well as Crossplaying in public. It was a great experience, I'll be better prepared next time.
ponpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #43
4ng31
meh.

Straight cosplayer here who does a lot of crossplay.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #44
ChibiDannimon

Crossplaying is what got me fully into the cosplay community. For years I always loved female characters but always felt ashamed that I couldnt cosplay as them because I was a guy, but after attending several conventions, I started crossplaying myself. First as Sailor Jupiter, then Fionna the Human Girl from Adventure Time and to Cynthia and Rosa from Pokemon.

To answer the OP's question I am straight but people do question my sexual orientation but even before I started crossplaying people been always accusing me of being gay because I never had a girlfriend before. I just hate it when people dont see you with a girlfriend or boyfriend people automatically assume that you are gay or lesbian.

Planned 2013 and 2014 Cosplays

- Sailor Galaxia (Sailor Moon)
- Fionna The Human Girl (Adventure Time)
- Takato (Digimon Season 3)

Current Cosplays
- Finn The Human Boy (Adventure Time)
- Honey-Senpai (Ouran High School Host Club)
- Rosa/Mei (Pokemon Black and White 2)
- Cynthia (Pokemon Sinnoh Region Champion)
- Tifa (Final Fantasy VII Advent Children)
- Kikyo (Inuyasha)
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #45
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyVinylAres View Post
I'm about 85%-90% straight. Less if John Barrowman is involved.
How can you not?

Anyway, I am straight and I crossplay. I don't crossplay as much as I would like because it really creeps my husband out. I tend to prefer men's clothes in day-to-day life because they're comfier. :: shrugs :: I see a character I want to dress as and just go for it. Gender simply dictates what I wear under the clothes.

Working on:
Dr. Shannon Abbey, Rebecca Atherton, First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Jessie

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), Kevin Flynn (black robes)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote