Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #106
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

My girlfriend liked my new Twilight Sparkle crossplay so much that now she wants to be Spike... which would be awesome

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #107
TishaAlbarn

I plan on cosplaying as Sharrkan from Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic for my first cross play this year!
Mega Lucario (Pokémon XY/SSB4) - Planning
Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon) - Planning
Yami Marik (Yu-Gi-Oh!) - 50%

Conventions I will be attending, so far:
Anime California 2014 [Maybe]
Comikaze 2014 [Maybe]
PMX 2014 [Maybe]
ALA 2015 [Definitely]

Live in the LA/SoCal area and want to meet other fellow cosplayers? Then join us: https://m.facebook.com/groups/248400145316182
TishaAlbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #108
Lucid_Enigma

I crossplay frequently and many times people have assumed I am a lesbian because of it. My brother jokes around about it a lot, but it's all in good humor.
2D (Stuart Pot) 100%

Lucid_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #109
Danteisagenius
Opportunity Calls

Straight as the arrow flies (in a zero gravity vacuum sort of thing that is!). Though, I have been asked if I find guys or girls "more Sexy." An awkward situation, especially since it was asked in front of my entire family. I guess crossplay can cause some confusion..so whatever! At least I know I'm straight!

- sincerely, the Opportunist.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
My Webpages:

Facebook
World Cosplay
CosCure

Click on them, I Dare You!
Danteisagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #110
Swiftstart

ultra straight
and yup, I've had the 'lesbian?' question posed to me too xD
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #111
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Well I don't know what to call myself really. I am transgender but I also have Klinefelter syndrome so I look at myself as a neutral. I have no drive so I am not straight or gay. I am just nothing, aka asexual. I do it because it feels right

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #112
TinkerKitty

Very straight crossplayer. I'll acknowledge a pretty face, then remember what other body parts are attached to it and get grossed out. Then again, that's probably half the reason I crossplay, with the other half being that it's hard to find a strong, non-annoying female character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaAlbarn View Post
I plan on cosplaying as Sharrkan from Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic for my first cross play this year!
I would have been Alibaba from Magi, but I didn't discover the series until after I got Hisoka Kurosaki together. (Next time, though! I already have the wig, sort of).
Unread 12-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #113
Dragon
Cosplay Fiend

Definitly straight. Never had anyone question my sexuality because of it XD
But then again I sometimes do female characters too.
I only have been questioned why I cosplay guys, when I could do pretty girls easily. (My answer: I mainly like male characters => cooler -> Girls are also often wearing to little clothing)
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #114
Kitsuko

I'm straight though I've only ever crossplayed once. I don't look down on other crossplayers and assume their sexuality because that's just silly to assume things. Especially since ones sexual orientation should not be the number one concern of others; what should be the number one concern is complimenting others on the great costuming job they did!

But yeah, I plan on crossplaying again eventually; I just tend to like more female characters than male ones or the male characters I'd like to cosplay as either have bulging muscles that I couldn't even fake having or their outfits are too plain for me to consider making.

Another example of a straight crossplayer though: My fiance has agreed that whenever I cosplay as Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time he will gladly crossplay as Marceline since she's his favorite character. He's perfectly okay with crossplaying so long as he doesn't show his legs-- not for shaving reasons, but he has severe arthritis in his knees that often causes swelling so he prefers to keep his legs covered for that reason.
Kitsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #115
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

Ever since I started cosplaying three years back all of my costumes save for two have been cross-plays and I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm very much straight in my orientation but a lot of my family [although supportive of my cosplaying] have in the past questioned both mine and my boyfriend's orientation because of it. The way they see it since my boyfriend is fine and supportive of my crossplaying he must be unconsciously homosexual and I must be suppressing my own urge to become a man because of it.

For the most part I think it's harder for non-cosplayers to understand the nature of cosplaying. A cosplayers perspective makes it easier to understand more. For people like my family that don't understand and do try to they tend to form the preconceived notion that cosplaying and sex go hand in hand. I take a lot of time to remind them that cosplaying is about displaying a form of art and community for us but I think it's a bit harder to understand if they've never actually been to an event.

I like the challenge of trying to be convincing in looking like the opposite gender. I love that people seem to appreciate the work I put into it. I love being part of a community that sees that and supports it. If they can't see the reasoning behind that, that's their problem not mine. I don't really take what they might say about us behind our backs personally anyway since they're all the type of people to gossip to each other. It's just a bunch of hens clucking at that point.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #116
Julesie

I'm a crossplayer. I've never been asked if I am gay but a friend mentioned once it was funny that we were all gay then I piped up saying I wasn't gay because I'm asexual. He was very shocked.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #117
Nova417
I like penguins

Well, although I'm pansexual, I am never defined with a gender at conventions.
A lot of people (especially most of my penguins who aren't on CosCom) all just assume a gender.
It's so funny when people try and assume I'm 100% gay, lesbian, or straight because then I ask if they even know what gender I am.
Some people can tell though, and the question persists. However, I feel as if crossplayers (most of the time) are just commonly mistaken as being homosexual because you're one gender, attempting the other.
I dunno.
:I

2014Cosplays
~ Rover [Gijinka] (Planning)
~ Jack/Mark [Main Chara of HM: A Wonderful Life](Planning)
~ Ayumi Shinozaki [Corpse Party](Planning)

"I really like penguins and cola."
-Nova417
Nova417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #118
Khorrupt

I have never understood why crossplaying is so associated with sexuality. If you think about the concept of cosplay in general, is crossplay really so strange? Even as a cosplayer of five years, I know that it's not considered a "commonplace" hobby like drawing or fishing (though that's to say nothing about how commercialized it's becoming lately), and is there anything wrong with that? No. But it's something you need to accept if you're going to participate in the hobby.

The same goes for crossplay -- it's just another level of cosplay that is a little less normal. If you're going do it, you have to accept that it's also not so normal.

I know I'm probably not the only one who was in this situation, but when I first started cosplaying five years ago, I didn't know about crossplay. That's to say, my first five costumes were male characters but to me, they were the same as if I'd cosplayed a Disney princess or an MLP character. Obviously they weren't too advanced, given that I was just starting out, and they don't really compare to my current crossplay costumes, most of which get me referred to as "sir" or "dude" at conventions, and hey, that's okay. When I'm crossplaying a character, I'm crossplaying for the same reason that I'm crossplaying: I like the character.

If I like [ this fandom ] then there's no reason that I should dress up as [ this female ] that I hate just because [ this male ] that I love isn't my gender.

Sure, crossplay does have affiliation with sexuality sometimes. Despite the fact that I don't agree with the premise, I also understand that sometimes, it could be seen as disrespectful or go against someone's religious beliefs. But belittling someone based on a choice of a costume they're making? That's utterly ridiculous. You wouldn't shame a female who likes to fish ("a guy's hobby") and you probably wouldn't place this kind of stigma on a male dancer ("a female's hobby.")

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~kigurumi!Silkie (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier - 15% complete
~Princess Peach - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #119
KillerWhaleCake
puripuripuripuripuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid_Enigma View Post
I crossplay frequently and many times people have assumed I am a lesbian because of it. My brother jokes around about it a lot, but it's all in good humor.
Haha, I know that feeling! Apparently, after seeing some of my crossplay pictures on FB, my friend's mother is convinced I'm a lesbian and that I'm going through a "gender identity crisis" xD.
Day 2: Nishinoya Yuu (Haikyuu!!)
Day 3: Sanada Genichirou (Prince of Tennis)
KillerWhaleCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #120
KillerWhaleCake
puripuripuripuripuri

In response to the original post:
I consider myself, for the most part, straight. I do get a weird ego stroke, though, when people confuse my gender at cons haha.
All of my contemporaries (my age) are understanding. For the most part, the adults (40+) who know I crossplay understand that it's an activity with no relation whatsoever to my orientation. But as I said, a few of them find it hard to understand and just assume that I'm going through a phase of "experimenting with my gender identity". I kind of laugh that off though. They can think what they want--All of my close friends understand that there's no connection between crossplay and being straight or gay.
I feel like there's a lot more accepting of an environment for female-to-male crossplayers than the other way around though. I'd be curious as to what MtF cosplayers have experienced.
Day 2: Nishinoya Yuu (Haikyuu!!)
Day 3: Sanada Genichirou (Prince of Tennis)
KillerWhaleCake is offline   Reply With Quote