Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Tee_Bird
Gamer

The Hound (Game of Thrones) Helmet + leather help

Hello, friends...

I'm looking into doing a cosplay of Sandor Clegane from Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire series, and I have no idea where to begin with his helmet. Cost really isn't a factor, but I'd like to keep it somewhat simple (though I'm willing to do some test runs of less simple things)

The rest of his armor seems pretty simple, flat pieces I can do with craft foam.

I'm also wondering what the best way to put his chest piece together. It looks like strips of studded leather?

Thanks for any help!

WORKS IN PROGRESS
Tali'Zorah (Mass Effect) - PAX Prime 2012
Novice Mage (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) - Planet Comicon KC 2014

Follow me on Twitter
Tee_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

When you say cost isn't a factor, what do you really mean ? What is your real budget ? The simplest thing to do would be to pay someone to make it - which could be anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars.

You can do the helmet out of craft foam if you don't mind simplifying the shapes and relying on paint for the illusion of 3D on some areas.

Your biggest challenge with craft foam over-all will be getting the joints to not tear, especially where they're put under some stress while moving. You might have better luck over-all with something like Sintra or Wonderflex especially for the fiddly small pieces like the finger-guards where craft foam often has issues.

The design of the helmet itself is pretty clear - you can see where all the pieces are. The problem is the "face" piece. One of the simplest solutions might be making it out of Wonderflex and using something like apoxy sculpt on top of that for the smaller, more complex details.

You could also do a sculpt in clay or such and cast it in resin or another such material. You could even do it out of cardboard.

Even if you can get away with craft foam for some pieces, I think you'll want Wonderflex or similar for the helmet so that it's able to support its own weight and not collapse - especially if you make the "face" part with add-on material or heavier material.

For the armour, I'd guess the pieces of leather are riveted to the layer of material under them. You could fake this if you wanted to. So there's an "under shirt" and the leather strips are connected to that shirt via all the little metal bits.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
astillar
Cosplay Engineer

I made my Hound helmet by sculpting an original out of oil-based clay, then creating a mold with platinum silicone rubber, and then cold-casting it with Colormatch 325 plastic resin with nickel-silver powder added. I've yet to make the under-helmet and the plating that goes around the neck. The techniques of sculpting and casting are fairly straightforward, just time-consuming and possibly expensive if you screw up the casting. I suppose the helmet could also be made a bit more cheaply with fiberglass and bondo.

Oh, and for the leather armor, I riveted overlapping strips of 8 oz shoulder leather with medium-sized antique nickel rivets. I aged the rivets with an acid steam bath to make them look less shiny-new and more old and ugly. I would recommend using a thinner leather than the 8 oz because it creates a very stiff garment in the end. My armor has about 6000 rivets in it; again, it's very time-consuming to make. I bought a wholesale discount card at Tandy Leather to save about 40% on my purchases, but the armor still cost me about $250 in materials. I've seen some people use 3d fabric paint on upholstery leather instead. I don't really care for how that looks, but it is an alternative option.

Last edited by astillar : 07-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.
astillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

^ that looks sweet, I hope you post it in the Game of Thrones thread when you're done or something because I wanna see it. :P

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
rivsas

If you look real close at pictures of his armor I don't think it is actually riveted leather but molded, cast, painted and attached to an underlying garment. The reason I say this is that there is a repeating pattern where the rivets have the same dimple and offset (not quite in a straight line). Taking this approach should keep the weight down and be slightly less time consuming. I may be crazy, but that's what I'm gonna try.

That 8oz looked like the right thickness, that looked great! What a lot of work!
rivsas is offline   Reply With Quote