Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
ItsTroy

Short sleeve Track Jacket Modifications

Hello everyone,

I am working the TPA Ezreal skin from League of Legends and I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around his jacket.

Reference images here:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/a0abe6810...0xfwo1_500.png
http://cgsammu.files.wordpress.com/2...tpa_ezreal.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/d40ad4c81d0e...0V81qz4rgp.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/585143e23...6p09o1_500.jpg

I have a budget of around 50 dollars for the jacket, and have about 3 weeks to complete it. I have never sewed anything in my life, so making a jacket from a pattern is a no-go. I purchased this jacket from Amazon, and planning to use it as a base. What really concerns me is the weirdly shaped red fabric that "drapes" around his neck and extends to his shoulders. Should I just layer it on top and sew it or maybe even using some fabric adhesive to keep it in place? Secondly, I really want a clean cut and finish on the sleeves. I don't want people to know the shirt was originally long sleeved, like that sharp. Lastly, I plan to have a have a T-shirt place screen-print it on once I'm done with the modifications, with drawing and painting the logo as backup.

Any advice, suggestions, questions? Thanks in advance~
ItsTroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

Since the "logo" overlaps the red area, I think your best bet for that would be to have the screen-printing place print it on a somewhat heavy piece of other fabric - and cut that out and sew it on like a patch.

That jacket you bought, the black stripes are going to show ? Are you able to take them off ?

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
ItsTroy

I was going to cover both the stripes on the arms and the K-Swiss logo with the red fabric. I might have to deviate from the in-game art, but I would rather have some symmetry like in the splash art.

The zipper stripes I could cover with white fabric or just get rid of them completely and leave the zipper.

I was going to visit the shop in a few days to get the T-shirt screen printed anyways. I'll ask them if printing on a seam would be a good idea, or just go with your method.

Last edited by ItsTroy : 07-02-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
MiloPhoenix

I always thought he was just wearing a short sleeve t-shirt with a sleeveless jacket (like a puff vest.... without the puff). So that would be my suggestion: T-shirt with a jacket vest. so if you still want to use the track jacket you got, just unpick the sleeves to take them off and finish off that raw edge. Then add the red however you want.
MiloPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

I dunno, in the in-game models it extends much farther than just a vest would. Is this a modelling error ? That's up to the OP to decide. I can't get a good idea in the first reference for comparison and the last one looks like fanart.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
ItsTroy

Ha, I actually thought of that quite a long time ago and forgot. Thanks for reminding me! Removing the sleeves definitely wouldn't be as hard as finishing a cut edge. The in-game art looks kinda clunky, as if he was wearing shoulder pads. I would much rather follow the skin art than in-game.

Last edited by ItsTroy : 07-02-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

But you'd still need to finish the raw edges of fabric still, wouldn't you? If you're cutting off the sleeves completely, you can probably use a seam ripper to separate the seam holding the body of the jacket and the sleeves together and make the seam allowance into the hem. So you'd pin the fabric back, pin it, and just sew around the arm hole. You know what I mean?

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote