Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
kittikatt771

Newbie needs help?? :3

Hi there!

So, I'm kind of new to cosplaying, and I'm working on a costume for next year's convention in my area. I do have a question though, maybe someone can help?

I was looking for a breast form or something that I could wear to make my bustline a little more... Full.
I'm a B cup and I need to be a D or more for the costume, and I've looked everywhere for stick on fake breasts, but none of them look like they'd stick on anyone other than a male or a masectomy patient. I'm looking for semi realism, preferably not a bra, but that could work. Nothing stiff, you know? price doesn't matter too awful much, I'm making everything with cheap stuff by hand so I have some room in my budget.
Does anyone have any tips or ideas??
Anybody else ever have trouble with something like this? Lol
kittikatt771 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
this_chick25
Eatin' your Jell-O

I'm a B-cup as well, so I am quite familiar with the problem of not having enough rack to fill a cosplay. You can go for enhancement without perfect accuracy when it comes to boobs (like maybe getting by with a C plus enhanced cleavage instead of going for D+, which looks weird on some body types), depending on how you handle it, but I can't really tell you how to go about it until I know what you'll be wearing (different clothes call for different methods). In addition to this, if you have a bigger bust, you'd usually have to augment your pattern to fit your additional boobage. Do you have a reference pic or two?

(Oh, ew--old photo--I need to change my profile pic...)

::le sigh::
I need an equally-talented clone of myself.

Last edited by this_chick25 : 07-02-2013 at 08:27 PM.
this_chick25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

The "Hollywood" way would be to make a lifecast of your chest, sculpt over it, and then make a mold and cast that out of latex or something. I've seen people do this, but it's pretty expensive (I'd guess $500 or more) and requires great sculpting ability. You could potentially also cast *someone else's* breasts that would be able to "fit" on you - and maybe they sell something like that out there, where it's basically hollow and just a layer of material.

But.... before Hollywood had access to that kind of technology they just did what people still do today - padding. You can build it into the costume or into a bra. If you've ever run across pictures of Marilyn Monroe topless you can see that she actually had a lot of help from those dresses (I think it's good to know that even before CGI and prosthetics that stars got "help").

I'd also make sure you're wearing a well-fitting bra to start with - it can make a huge difference. A lot of people wear a "B" cup when they're really a D or so - because stores don't commonly carry sizes like "30DD" or "32D" so they fit into "sister sizes" like "34C" or "36B". Having the right size will make a big difference just with that.

I also wouldn't focus too much on "I need to be a D for this costume". First, a "D cup" doesn't mean "big" it just means "4 inches difference between underbust and breast measure" - so that can look very small on say a 38D. I know people who are actually a 32D and it doesn't have to look "big" and often doesn't unless they wear a "push-up" bra - at 32D you can look pretty much flat-chested if you wear something loose (and if your breasts "droop" then not wearing a bra can do that even more).

And second, it's okay if you don't look exactly like the character. Sometimes I wish I was more muscular, but since I don't pick characters who need to be "huge" I don't worry about it too much - I can't justify the $600 or bothering to make padding and re-fit everything when the characters I pick are pretty average and don't NEED it. There are definitely characters that being "huge" is a big part of the character and people can look a little silly if they're a twig like me - but for plenty of characters it's not.

It's like this - a character like Jessica Rabbit has her figure as an important part of her character, so does Ursula. Their physical form is a big part of how people remember them and is important to the story. But lots of anime girls are "busty" but it doesn't really matter because it's just the art style, just like a lot of girls in Western comic books are. These characters don't lose an important element of themselves by having more "average" breasts.

Unless this character has obviously huge fake boobs that are the focal point of the whole character I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you want to do it, that's fine ! Nothing against that, I'm just saying don't worry and stress out about it if you aren't able to put together something that works.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Exposed or covered chest?

http://pomp-berry.deviantart.com/art...rial-363874640
http://www.nubra.com/Nubra_IBE.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9hjtZ_GX8
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

I got the feeling it was exposed since they talked about the stick-on "full" breasts.

Like one person in the tutorial said, definitely do a test-run at home first. Unfortunately the pulling on the skin like in the video can be pretty brutal and it might not be something you want to do for a full day at a convention.

The dA tutorial looks more comfortable even though she says it still isn't. : P I think it'd be a lot more comfortable than the adhesive because at least the skin can't be ripped off !

I'm not trying to say, "omg don't do it", but I've seen some pretty nasty injuries from pulling skin with adhesive - for this and other purposes so you want to try it out before going out with it on just in case and so you can troubleshoot ! - finding a comfortable point that's between "ripping skin off" and "not effective".

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
kittikatt771

@this_chick25
I want to cosplay Orihime from Bleach, and I'm trying to decide what costume (probably her white dress). I have long red hair so this works- kinda. And you've got a great profile pic, idk what you're saying xD

@ Kelly, yeah, they're kind of a big deal for the character, i guess. I mean I could most likely wear a padded bra or something, but that kind of loses the appeal for the costume to me *shrug* and I had no idea cup sizes worked like that :0 that's interesting.

@o0110110
probably covered chest, and thanks for the videos! I'll check them out ASAP :3
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
kittikatt771

gah why won't my replies go through x.x
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
kittikatt771

YES! There we go okay:

@this_chick25
I want to cosplay Orihime from Bleach, and I'm trying to decide what costume (probably her white dress). I have long red hair so this works- kinda. And you've got a great profile pic, idk what you're saying xD

@ Kelly, yeah, they're kind of a big deal for the character, i guess. I mean I could most likely wear a padded bra or something, but that kind of loses the appeal for the costume to me *shrug* and I had no idea cup sizes worked like that :0 that's interesting.

@o0110110
probably covered chest, and thanks for the videos! I'll check them out ASAP :3
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
kittikatt771

@black butler person
Sorry I screwed up your screen name xD
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

They do make fully sculpted "stick on boobs" to make yours look larger. And I mean these look REAL. I'm sure it's not so easy as stick-on. You probably need the proper glue. However these are very, very expensive.

And no, I don't mean the cheap stick-on silicone breasts that are on amazon. I cannot find the site that has what I'm talking about..

Last edited by Serenith : 07-02-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Serenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
talkenia
Random person #3

sorry, strike my comment, I posted the DA tutorial someone else posted above me already, I guess I should read trough better next time.

But I do think its one of the better methods around, I never tried it myself, but guess is that its sorta comfortable compared to other methods, and price wise its doable as well

Currently in progress
-lady -DMC 3
-Alphonse Elric's full armour -FMA
talkenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
sabinam

I think this guide is awesome, Really easy way to get whatever size you want --> http://pomp-berry.deviantart.com/art...rial-363874640
sabinam is offline   Reply With Quote