Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
chibialchemist7

Does anyone here buy fabric from Hobby Lobby?

I would like to create a Masked "Marth" cosplay and well, it's my first time ever creating a cosplay! I like going to arts+craft stores, but I have never really shopped for fabrics! I was browsing the web and decided to go to Hobby Lobby's website. They have really good prices and even a 4 cents shipping sale this week! I can't exactly find what i'm looking for(mainly because I have no idea what to look for!).
I've been doing some research on fabrics, but I am mainly seeing satin fabrics on the website and from what I remember from my research, it's not really good unless you are using it to make something shiny. Could I have a little help trying to find fabrics on this site and maybe words of experience if you have bought fabrics from Hobby Lobby? If Hobby Lobby is not a good place to buy fabric, could I have recommendations for other arts+crafts stores? It's so confusing

I am trying to find fabric for the tunic and cape in this picture of Masked "Marth":

http://media.gamer.nl/site/dump/2013...ll_1443320.jpg
chibialchemist7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
TomatoandScones
The knight who says ni

Hmmm I really wouldn't reccomend hobby lobby for making costumes. The often have very good selections of quilting fabric, but not exactly the best for making a quality Cosplay. I once found a really nice print for a Lolita dress, and some faux suede for a legolas Cosplay, but other than that I have found nothing. Joann's has a slightly better quality, much better selection, and better prices(you just have to use coupons!). If you could post a reference picture we could help you pick out the correct fabric.
ALSO, as for satin, don't use it quite yet. Maybe once you have some more experience, but for someone making their first costume I'm gonna say hold off for a little while. it's quite difficult to make it look good, is all.

Current Cosplays-
Kyou Fujibayashi-90%
Maiko Hikizuri- 5%
Asuna-75%
Erik/Phantom of the opera commission-10%
TomatoandScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
chibialchemist7

You know what, I think I will try Joanns, because I recieved a coupon from Google(perfect timing!) xD Thank you for reassuring me about it!
And of course! Here are some pictures of the character: http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/site/chara09.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...ti06o1_500.png
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ficial_art.jpg
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Ilafatyu
That guy

Agreed, fabric from Hobby Lobby isn't very good for costuming. It's mostly thin broadcloth, and there's not really a good selection of anything that doesn't have a cutesy print. Definitely go with Joann's.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik upgrades - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Penlowe

their quality is good, but their sales market is quilters and people sewing everyday clothes for children. So, buying a bolt of muslin there for practice pieces and lining when they have a big sale is totally worth it.

I like JoAnns, but I like Hancock Fabrics even better. I know Hancock is a smaller chain and not everywhere, but if you've got one it's worth looking into. Hancock gets specialty fabrics in a wide assortment of weird, I've found green glitter vinyl, ecclesiastical brocades, a really big selection of swimsuit fabrics and quite a few exclusive designer upholstery fabrics that despite saying "dry clean only" are cottons I have successfully washed in cold and hung to dry.
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
chibialchemist7

Wow thank you so much, everyone!! I'll try going to the actual store and if by any chance don't have the material that is right, i'll just buy it from their online store. Oh and Penlowe I have never heard of Hancock Fabrics before! I doubt there is a store near me, but I will take a look at what they have online! Thanks again everyone! <3
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Kumiko Akatsuki

Cotton is cheaper to buy at hobby lobby; joanns is pricier. but i use alot of cotton for costumes; because frankly i don't need fancy fabrics to make my costumes look good. and it has a bit of breathing in it and not very thick for hot cons.
Ririchiyo demon form
Senbonzakura Rin kagamine

Shuto-Con 2013
Lucy Helmet version

JAFAX 18
Lucy helmet version (Before it broke)
Ririchiyo (Inu x boku ss) Demon Form {bought working on weapon}

Shuto-Con 2014
Duela Dent
N7 Armor
(maybe another ?)
Kumiko Akatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
TomatoandScones
The knight who says ni

Oh, and for fabric I would suggest a nice thick gabardine, or something of a similar weight. The cape can be something lighter, maybe sateen. And if it doesn't come in the correct Color you can dye it with rit dye. Ooh! Or you could use some velvet for the red, I think that would look really pretty :3

Current Cosplays-
Kyou Fujibayashi-90%
Maiko Hikizuri- 5%
Asuna-75%
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
Kelley
Devil of Details

I get the feeling the cape and coat are of the same material and that's it's just a bit see-through in some of the poses so you can see the details under it.

The "budget" option would be a bottom weight cotton twill.

The not-budget option would be a mid-heavy-weight wool "suiting" (it's a rather vague category). I think a heavier-than-normal gabardine or such would indeed by good (they usually tend to be on the thin side, at least in my experience).

Personally, I can never find anything that works at Jo-Ann's or similar unless it's a really simple "basic" - and even then I can usually find it on-line for cheaper and bundle that in with another order. I totally see the use of those stores if you're still getting to know your fabrics - it's great to be able to touch things, but rarely do they have the "ideal" fabric (and if they do it's often overpriced - though coupons can help).

I would avoid shiny things, this costume looks pretty matte. RIT dye is a "jack of all trades, master of none" - if you want to dye get a 100% cotton and get a fibre-reactive dye (dharma trading, an on-line store sells some) - many more colours to pick from and more predictable results !

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
chibialchemist7

Everyone has been so helpful!!! I love how everyone is so patient with me! Thank you! I've been writing down suggestions like a diligent student! XD I'm going to Joann's today and hopefully, they will have gabardine or cotton twill(after all, I saw them on their website). I printed the 40% off coupon as well! TomatoandScones your right! The red velvet does look pretty! Once again, thank you so much so suggestions and being patient! <3
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
TomatoandScones
The knight who says ni

Good luck with your Cosplay!

Current Cosplays-
Kyou Fujibayashi-90%
Maiko Hikizuri- 5%
Asuna-75%