Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
CeciliaHoney

Question Hemming.

So I recently bought a lovely kimono at a Con I went to. I know they are suppose to be long and big, but I'm only 4'11 and 107lbs and this thing is massive on me! When I put it on the amount of martial I have to fold is just massive. MY question is is it okay to hem a kimono? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I want to make sure its okay before I go ahead and do it.

Thank you!
CeciliaHoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If it's still way too long on you even with the waist fold, I'd go ahead and hem it. You're not fundamentally altering the garment; taking it up a few inches so you can wear it easier is no cause for offense. Just don't use a rolled hem on it- that'll look weird and isn't accurate to the lined ones (and I'm actually not sure with unlined. I'm guessing a blind hem or simple fold would do there.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote