Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Looking for a gold floral fabric

I'm looking for a gold floral fabric, something with some purples and greens mixed it. I'm usually not *super* picky about stuff like this, but I was at Jo Ann's fabric yesterday and none of the gold sari/brocade fabrics they had were doing it for me. I'm trying to make this dress (Morgana from Merlin):

Reference 1

Reference 2

And I'm looking for something for the waistband that looks as close to that as possible. I'm not sure where to look online to find something like that--suggestions?
Chaobunny-san is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm not sure that waistband is fabric ?

It's hard to say because the pictures are so small, it almost looks like embroidery or even painted.

Since it's such a stiff piece, I think painting something is the way to go unless you want to get it custom-printed (but that would require you making the image file in the first place).

Otherwise I'd search for "floral brocade" and permutations thereof.

Okay, I Googled a bigger picture.

You could try searching for "embroidered floral fabric" and the like, but at this point I think painting a semi-stiff piece will give you the best results between finding a fabric that works and actually embroidering it. Since the base should be so stiff the paint won't be put under much stress. You might also be able to more easily find a fabric piece with a white fabric base that you could then paint/dye green.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Hmm...frankly I'm not sure I have enough skill to be able to paint something like that, at least not in a reasonable amount of time. I have some painting experience but not with fabric paints. I could give it a try I suppose, maybe I could make some stencils. But dyeing fabric is not a venture I'm ready to dive into just yet, and I want painting to be a last resort if I can't find anything.

I did some searching and I found a few things on Amazon and ebay, but I'm not sure how reliable buying from sites like that are for fabric.

Here are a few I found

1. http://www.amazon.com/G106-brocade-e...brocade+fabric
(The right colors but super expensive, eek)

2. http://www.amazon.com/G130-brocade-e...brocade+fabric
(This had about the right design, but I'm slightly iffy on the colors. Opinions? Also expensive.)

3. http://www.ebay.com/itm/jacquard-Bro...-/221246642006

4. http://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Broca...brocade+fabric

Numbers 3 and 4 have gold and green but no purple...I'm having a really hard time finding a mix of those 3 colors. I care more about the colors than the floral design, I think.

If anyone has opinions on those or other suggests for websites that would be great.
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Have you considered looking at quilter's cottons? Some of those are really elaborate, and you could always do selective stitching on some of the areas to give the illusion of embroidery.
Ichihara Yuuko - butterfly kimono (xxxHolic / Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Get a fabric that's close to the right design that you want, and aim for "good enough" with the colors. You can always paint over parts of the design to introduce the colors that are missing.

For instance, you have some green and gold brocades that you're looking at, so you could buy one of them and just add the purple yourself - say, paint purple over some of those gold flowers. I've seen people do this before, and if it's done well, it actually can look very good even in person.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
MiloPhoenix

agreed with Kelley. If you can't find the perfect fabric, paint it. I'm not very good at painting either, but if you can draw at all, buy a blank stencil, draw the design, cut it out with a xacto knife. then with a foam pouncer paint it on the fabric.
MiloPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I will most likely find a nice brocade to modify with a little paint like Evil Bishounen suggested rather than try and paint from scratch.

These are the ones I am looking at narrowing it down: Opinions?
1. http://www.amazon.com/G130-brocade-e...brocade+fabric
2. http://www.amazon.com/G106-brocade-e...brocade+fabric
3. http://www.goodorient.com/Grass_gree...c_P39122#to p

I'm leaning towards the last one, but it is extremely expensive so I want to get other opinions.

I was also looking through floral quilting fabrics and couldn't seem to find the right design, but if anyone knows of any that would be great.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

I think the second one from amazon looks the best! I That G106 one. It has a similar design character and the last one is to "sofa" and the first one too abstract. I think the second is pretty good, though. I think it would be a good pick!

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Agreed with Kelley about the 3rd one - it looks like upholstery fabric. And it has too many colors in it anyway, and most of it looks printed. I think only those frond shapes are embroidered.

I personally like the first one most. The second one, I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Joann in like 4 different variations, each with a different background color. It's one of those where the embroidery colors exist in stripes, which you can see if you look at the bottom of the image: it's a strip of gold, then green, then red, then blue. Although, if you only need this for a belt/sash/girdle thing, then you could easily cut the pattern in a way that the red and blue areas are left out.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Personally, I think #2 looks the closest. I'm not a huge fan of number 3; I think it looks a little cheap, especially for the price, and I don't really like that the pattern is printed--I think the embroidered look number 2 has going is much more accurate. But at the same time, it's your costume, and you're the one that's pouring all this time and money into this, so if you're in love with number 3, go for it! Choose whichever fabric you like the best.
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Penlowe

I vote for #2 as well.

Yup, brocade is expensive stuff, even in 100% polyester, there is just a lot that goes into making it. The good news is you can buy the minimum amount allowed for your needs.(probably half a yard, depends on the seller).

I would cut the pieces you need for the dress, paint them, then apply to the dress.
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Thanks for the opinions everyone! I'm going to go with #2. =)