Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

This felt like a convention that only a cosplayer can enjoy. I know if I was not there to attend my cosplay gatherings, I would have had no fun at this convention this year. The lines to get in were hellish. The parking lots were expensive and filled up extremely quickly. I can see why even locals stay in hotels for this convention because it is so much easier to access via a hotel room without having to worry about parking lots being full.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 30% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Mewtwo
Jedi Link 3.0
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #17
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
This felt like a convention that only a cosplayer can enjoy. I know if I was not there to attend my cosplay gatherings, I would have had no fun at this convention this year. The lines to get in were hellish. The parking lots were expensive and filled up extremely quickly. I can see why even locals stay in hotels for this convention because it is so much easier to access via a hotel room without having to worry about parking lots being full.
I totally agree with you on that one. As a very unique cosplayer myself. This is why I came back and focused on cosplay gatherings. AX this year felt like it's the most expensive con than attending my first SakuraCon. Let's compare!

SakuraCon:
-I paid to take the flight down to Seattle since I don't want to deal with 11+ hour drive from SF.
+Convention food is very affordable and if you want some other variety, just walk around the downtown area for more places to eat at!
+I did 3 nights and the price is reasonable and took a hotel closer to the con.

Anime Expo:
+I carpooled to LA only to take 6 hour
-Convention food is expensive! Because of the heat and how huge the con is, I spent most of my money on food! Next time I do it, I have to pack up some cheap replenishment next time to keep myself nourished. Plus it sucks that there's no free drinking water anywhere!
-I did 4 nights and damn the hotel is 2nd most expensive and quite far compare to JW Marriott (most expensive).
-Parking is insane!

I need to make a guide for these stuff to get myself prepared!
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #18
CS3
wannabe world traveler

This con was only ok for me. The long list of things I didn't like about the con balance out the few truly outstanding positives/fun times I had. I went to Sakura con this year and that's been my most fun con I've been to this year I have no complaints about it. I'll definitely be going back to Sakura next year but not to AX. Hellish lines, overpriced hotels, badge price hike and the sickening smell of those "hot dog carts" kills any interest in going back.
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
Opacus02

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniCourseMusha View Post
Plus it sucks that there's no free drinking water anywhere!
Bring a water bottle with you. There are drinking fountains all over the convention center. I keep a bottle clipped to my side and just keep refilling it throughout the day.
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I am going to add that I am so glad that there was no heat wave during the convention. If it occurred the week before when we had a record breaking heat wave, I am sure that people would have been collapsing and passing out from the heat waiting in line to get into the convention if that heat waved hit during the AX. I am sure that they would have sued the convention for letting that happen too.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Future Cosplay plans:
Mewtwo
Jedi Link 3.0
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #21
Access

I think overall, AX seems to suffer from several staff shortages. This is far worse a problem than in past years.

A lot of people mentioned to me an inconsistent prop or peacebonding policy. For instance, friends who had their props peacebonded on a prior day were (on more than one occassion) were told that the prop was not allowed and should have never been peacebonded in the first place (or that the staff member that had peacebonded it before must have done so in error, or was acting outside of their official capacity). Friends of friends mentioned more about a very inconsistent policy or even being harassed by security in numerous ways. Probably the most egregious thing I heard of through a friend was that a friend's group had a member who was partly blind (sight impared) and had their walking cane deemed a weapon and taken from them on those grounds. Many talked of some form of harassment, whether being followed/stalked, laid hands on (or attempted to) without their consent, and the like, staff attempting to take props rather than simply being told it was not allowed and they need to take it back to their car / hotel room.

It also seems like, in a contrast to past years, the con floor is now largely patrolled by an event management firm (EES or something like that, similar to the way comic-con is run). These guys seemed impersonal and rather uncaring, like they were just 'doing their job' versus actually being anime fans. Personally I was never actually harassed by any of these guys, but regardless, much of the time they seemed to be failing in their roles of providing a pleasant convention experience... ie. 'by fans, for fans'.

There were several changes this year that I did appreciate, the full use of that large room that was the game room / photo backdrops / large sets of tables / etc.

The exhibit hall was very crowded this year, at least around certain booths. The areas between the booths need more area, or the open areas around these popular booths need to be enlarged. Artists' alley was also good this year, seemed larger than it had ever been, and generally not overly crowded.

The photo backdrops in the game were were a nice touch, but from a photographic standpoint they were harmed by the awful lighting (at least for photography) in the whole room. Photoshoots that began in these areas quickly moved outside or elsewhere for better light. The only photographers I talked to who were able to get good photos from the backdrops had to bring in a lot of their own lighting gear (lightstands, strobes, etc.) and turn up the power high enough to blow out the otherwise awful lighting from above.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I posted this on the information needs and concerns page earlier but also felt it would be relevant here too.

"Anime Expo has become a ginormous Faustian Bargain. You go there because it's the big one, because your friends go to it, for the social interactions with your cosplay colleagues. Everything else about it is an utter train wreck."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Future Cosplay plans:
Mewtwo
Jedi Link 3.0
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #23
MiladyJey

Woo!

When I heard that they were going to have bag checks, I'm not going to lie, I was a little mad. I thought it was just going to be another long line I'd have to get through 'cause-c'mon, EVERYONE brings a bag to AX! But HEY-YO, to my surprise, there was no line!
This is just my opinion, but I didn't find that many panels to go because I didn't find any interesting. That's just me. I'll suck it up next year.
All the good stuff is at night! T-T
Also, I didn't run into any clouds of otaku stink this year! WOO!
I'm stoked for next year!
Does anyone know when the premium passes get sold? I know they sold out quick stat, and the con wasn't even over yet.
MiladyJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
choxie-chan
Uchuu KITAAAAA!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiladyJey View Post
When I heard that they were going to have bag checks, I'm not going to lie, I was a little mad. I thought it was just going to be another long line I'd have to get through 'cause-c'mon, EVERYONE brings a bag to AX! But HEY-YO, to my surprise, there was no line!
This is just my opinion, but I didn't find that many panels to go because I didn't find any interesting. That's just me. I'll suck it up next year.
All the good stuff is at night! T-T
Also, I didn't run into any clouds of otaku stink this year! WOO!
I'm stoked for next year!
Does anyone know when the premium passes get sold? I know they sold out quick stat, and the con wasn't even over yet.
From what you said I agree with you, it was pretty much unexpectedly better than last year, I met new friends and had a great time at the Touhou gathering! I'm hoping to attend next year if my one of my childhood friends agrees to come xD that would be awesome~

Yes unfortunately right before AX 2013 ended, PREMIUM PASSES HAVE BEEN SOLD OUT. Idk HOW and WHY that happened... o_o'''

AX 2014
Day 1: Struttin on fairy kei
Day 2: Mariah - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Day 3: Chen - Touhou
Day 4: Mariah - JJBA:SC
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Access

I've heard varying things about premier passes, some for instance say that the allotment that was to be sold at the con is sold out, but that was only a fraction of the premier passes that are to be sold for next year.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
TheRealZain

Was another successful year in the merchandise depot, though the generic 'con' merchants are easing their way in. Non-anime/manga related, you know what I mean.

Costumes still strong, even if I don't care for most of the characters I recognized. Hope to join their ranks next year.
TheRealZain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
daylight
Sugar Junkie

PROS:
-Dealers room was probably about the only thing I found enjoyment out of this year
- I never found them, but the cosplay sets looked so cool!!!! I hope thy do it again next year so I can check it out.

CONS:
- Way, way, way too many people
- Location. I wish AX would move to the Anaheim Convention center, I don't fancy the area AX is in and attendee numbers are getting to be too big for the LACC to support
-This was my first time going to panels and it was really hard to find my way around, never ended up finding the photobooth or the manga lounge because I was so burnt out on just trying to find my panel rooms.
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #28
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

for people that say they pay to much for parking at the hotels $25-$40 a night. *yes, it is true parking is Ridiculous)
but try and find a parking garage close by (block or 2) and park there after dropping your stuff off at the hotel, the parking garage I have parked at the last 5 years on 8th/S Flower Street is only $12 a day so for 4 days of parking comes out to $48.
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
Kid-Krazi
Wants pie

Staff was horrible! It took me an hour to find the cosplay repair station!
Conker: Conker's Bad Fur Day
2 Star Mako Mankanshoku: Kill La Kill
STOP BEING A GUEST AND JOIN ALREADY

Follow me on tumblr
Follow me on Instagram@ hai_kid
Kid-Krazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
Nay Tamaru
w00t w00t :)

I didnt think it was all that bad AX is the largest convention I attended to date and since Im going in 2014, I guess they didnt make me too irritated, lol.

Here's my gripes though ...

- That Line to get in ---we even showed up later in the day and it was still super long, I thought since we purchased our badges online that it would be mailed to us to avoid the line, guess not. Thankfully my genius husband suggested not being in cosplay to pick up our badges and putting on sunscreen. Thumbs - up to him....

- Weapons Check --- alright, I know, it's needed .. but seriously. They denied my prop because it was "too realistic" which it wasn't, just made of foam, lol. They also denied a very broken air soft pistol ( which I figured they would so not too upset about that)

- Lounge 21 "bouncer" --- Haha, yeah so due to the 2 previous incidents, I favored the lounge from the first day and repetitively throughout the convention. Everything was fine until the second day which the "bouncer" tried to deny me access because my hair color didnt match my ID (I was in cosplay..). Thankfully the lounge manager guy had personally hung out with me and my husband previously that day and the day before so he let me pass.

Awesome stuff about AX ---

The FMA gathering was so cool! I was really pleased and everyone was super nice! Throughout the convention everyone I talked to was really polite and no issues. Overall, like I said, if it was bad I wouldnt go again but it wasn't so 2014- w00t w00t!
-Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail) - (season 1) first orange dress
-Kululu (Sgt.Frog) - fem human-version of Kululu, group cosplay
Complete List of all other future cosplay on my Facebook page

-Anime Expo (LA) 2014
-Anime Matsuri (Houston)
Nay Tamaru is offline   Reply With Quote