Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
cacherlaverite

How much can a jacket be taken in?

I'm trying to get the final pieces of my Eleventh Doctor cosplay together and I can't find a jacket my size anywhere! It's made from tweed and any if all jackets I've found so far were either too expensive or a couple sizes too big. I found the perfect one, but it was a size 40R, whereas I would need something smaller than a 38R. Is it possible to have it taken more than 2 sizes down?

Cosplays:

Homestuck
Nepeta Lejion
Damara Megido
Kankri Vantas

Sherlock
John Watson
Red Pants Monday! John

Doctor Who
11th Doctor
cacherlaverite is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Not without completely taking the jacket apart and recutting it, and even then it's iffy. Men's suit jacket sizing is based on the chest measurement, and the chest is the hardest place to make alterations because it involves changing the placement and shape of the armscye. If you mess with the armscye, you need to preserve the total armscye length otherwise the sleeve won't fit anymore. This becomes more complicated when there's a side panel as opposed to just a front and a back.

If you don't want to undertake a complete retailoring (or pay someone to do it), you'd be better served continuing your search for something that's the right size to begin with. Try the Internet; it's easier to find smaller sizes there.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.

Last edited by Evil Bishounen : 07-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

I would not even attempt that - it would be genuinely much easier to make it from scratch, the proportions of the pockets and such on a 40R won't be able to be saved no matter what.

It would cost several hundred dollars to pay someone to remake it. You could basically have one made to your size to start with for the same price.

You need to find your actual size - shoulders are most important. That way you can look on eBay and the like. I got a not-quite-perfect for 11 (It being used for a costume was "extra" for me) tweed jacket in 34R on eBay and they're in there pretty regularly. If you're smaller than 5'6" and a 34R, you should look into "boys" jackets (I'm 5'7" and I find they're too short for me, as ate dome "shorts").

Measure a jacket that fits you so you can compare the garment measures. It can be a women's jacket, it doesn't matter - the shoulder measure is the most important as it makes arguably the largest difference in looks and is the hardest (and most expensive) to alter.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
cacherlaverite

I had a feeling it couldn't be done without screwing the whole thing up...I already looked all over Ebay and only found one jacket with my shoulder measurements, but the chest is far too big. I'm going to try Craigslist, and then the Goodwill again. If all else fails, I'll just have to wait on Eleven until I have some more cash Thanks for the help!

Cosplays:

Homestuck
Nepeta Lejion
Damara Megido
Kankri Vantas

Sherlock
John Watson
Red Pants Monday! John

Doctor Who
11th Doctor
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

How are you measuring and searching? I can wear a 15-16" shoulder on a jacket and my *actual* shoulders measure differently. But that means that I can search for jackets that are 34R and sometimes 36R works - I have to check the measures individually.

Shoulder size scales with chest size, so unless you've found a bespoke coat there shouldn't really be a HUGE disparity - if anything the chest will fit reasonably but the shoulders will be too big - not the other way around.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
cacherlaverite

My shoulders measure 19", so I was looking for jackets around those measurements. The jacket I had my eye on has these measurements:
32" long, 45" chest, 42" waist, 19" shoulders and 25" sleeves. My shoulders match up, but my chest is way smaller than 45". So wouldn't it be too big? Sorry if I'm missing the point of what you're trying to tell me; I'm just really confused.

Cosplays:

Homestuck
Nepeta Lejion
Damara Megido
Kankri Vantas

Sherlock
John Watson
Red Pants Monday! John

Doctor Who
11th Doctor
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Kelley
Devil of Details

Is that the measure of your ACTUAL shoulders, or a jacket that fits? You need to go by a jacket, not the actual shoulders. It can vary greatly on if you are measuring them correctly or not, too.

Are you a guy or a girl? How tall are you and what chest measure do you need? The jacket chest needs to be bigger than your actual chest, too, or it won't fit.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
cacherlaverite

I originally had my mum measure my shoulders, which came out to 19", but earlier my dad measured them and they are in fact, 16". However she got THAT measurement aside, I'm a 5'6 girl, and when binded (which I will be) my chest measures 32".

Cosplays:

Homestuck
Nepeta Lejion
Damara Megido
Kankri Vantas

Sherlock
John Watson
Red Pants Monday! John

Doctor Who
11th Doctor
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Kelley
Devil of Details

You REALLY need to measure on a JACKET. Measure between the shoulder seams in a straight line across the back - THIS IS HOW JACKET ON EBAY ARE MEASURED! Sorry, I know you're new at this, but this is really important and something you NEED to do.

My actual shoulders can measure larger than my jacket measure depending on how I do it - but measuring a jacket is what you need to do so you can compare it to the jacket you're going to buy. Your physical shoulders aren't really important because a jacket measure is going to take the "guessing" out of it and take away the variable ways to be measured.

Yeah, the person I know who can fit a 19" shoulder is a man over 6 feet tall!

You will most likely be fine with a 34R/S so long as it's not "vanity sized".

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
cacherlaverite

I'll go look around again and see what I can find. Thanks for all the help and sorry for any annoyance I caused ^^;

Cosplays:

Homestuck
Nepeta Lejion
Damara Megido
Kankri Vantas

Sherlock
John Watson
Red Pants Monday! John

Doctor Who
11th Doctor

Last edited by cacherlaverite : 07-08-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #11
Kelley
Devil of Details

It's okay. The important thing is that you should be able to find a jacket that fits decently! Unless you live in a large area like NYC, you will not find a 34R jacket in person - but online and on eBay are good bets!

Here's a picture I found on Google that shows how shoulders are measured for places like eBay : http://askandyaboutclothes.com/wp-co...asurement.jpeg

You want the chest measure to be 19" widest, too (this is armpit to armpit measured flat - so that would be 38" total - but keep in mind that the actual measure MUST be larger than the chest it goes on - so a jacket for a 34" chest will typically be 36-38"). 18" would probably be ideal, but it's not a big deal as long as the shoulders fit.

Actually in the pipes: