Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

What bothers me more is that it says "nine passionate fans put their imagination and skills to the test to make a name for themselves in the competitive world of cosplay." when most of these cosplayers have already made a name for themselves and there is only one male.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

I have to say, I'm a little worried about this show. I joined this site in 2003, just as cosplay was starting to get mainstream attention on channels like G4 and MTV. For the most part the presentation was pretty positive, but there was always this underlying current of "HEY, LOOK AT THESE FREAKS IN COSTUMES!" from those presenting the show. When I saw the preview for this show, it gave me the same current, and gave me a "Toddlers and Tiaras" esque feel, which, if my instincts are right, is a very, very, VERY bad thing for the general cosplay community. I hope I'm wrong, but based on history, I get the feeling I'm not.
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #33
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Lol reality TV made dog grooming seem interesting so I'd be interested in seeing how this show turns out.
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #34
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooyong View Post
The fact that this is on Syfy and not E! or Bravo gives me some hope. Certainly this isn't about everyday cosplayers, because obviously, we are boring when it comes to documenting. But I have one complaint:

NO DIVERSITY.

I know it's not SUPER-easy to find really good black cosplayers, but they DO exist...couldn't they have found just one...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Sabyne View Post
^^Agreed there. There's a guy (Jesse), an Asian (Yaya), and a bunch of white girls. I would love to see Hispanic, Black, or other cosplayers who may not fit the 'traditionally attractive' mold.

I feel what would be more interesting to me would be to see exposure to the 'everyperson' cosplayers. Maybe a show that follows a group of different cosplayers who are on different levels. For example, one person could be trying to pull together their first cosplay, another could have a couple outfits under their belt...all the way up to Yaya and some of the pros. As it stands, this just seems dull.
I agree with these posts so much! And also where the plus size ppl at? Every show has one. Plus this kinda shows that cosplayers will do anything for money :/ I rather have a YouTube show with a bunch of How tos,Cosplay videos,Convention coverage,prop tutorials...but not this @_@

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #35
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #36
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I won't give an opinion until it comes out, but I get the feeling this show will be leaning towards the 'drama' and popularity side of things, which are things I really dislike about this hobby. Reserving final judgement until after it airs and I get an account from someone who has seen it - I really don't intend to watch it myself.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #37
emmisu
King of Toast

Based on what the article says alone:

Six episodes. Only six.
You can't really have a competition in six episodes alone, it would be difficult to pretend to have a positive and negative balance if you're trying to play up the drama in this amount of time.
Shorter things generally have been more respectful from what I know.

Docu-series- it describes it as that while discussing Face-Off as a competition series in the same article. So I'm guessing it won't focus on giving them challenges so much as watch them overcome challenge.

Also, six episodes and six people- there's probably going to be like a one person per episode thing with interviews and clips of their costumes. I certainly hope they show how Yaya puts her stuff on- I can see that being interesting- watching her pull it together piece by piece.

It's on Syfy, which is a channel for nerdy people. I've never seen them butcher stuff- they didn't even make the actors on Ghost Hunters look like a bunch of wads (even though that show is 100% fake)

So basically, I don't think it will be a travesty and it might be really interesting or cool just for cosplay geeks. It doesn't seem like it's marketed to anyone who doesn't already at least know what cosplay is.
I will watch it optimistically.

However, cons are basically what people have said:

It could be framed as a mainly competitive hobby, when it really isn't for most people.

It lacks really any diversity- Yaya is on there because she's a legend. But the overwhelming majority is white and female. I'd have liked to see more positive representation that it's not just a hobby for white girls. And maybe it will show friends or discuss how they feel about people of color or larger people cosplaying- I really hope it does.
More dudes. More PoC. More body positivity.

Uhm, otherwise I can't really criticize until I've seen it.
If it's truly a docu-series, I don't foresee huge problems.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #38
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Even if it somehow manages to not fall into every trap of the issues everyone else has listed, the last and final hurdle will be boredom. Because as the Weather Channel has proven, just because you can make a show about any job/hobby/lifestyle doesn't mean it'll be entertaining.

I certainly don't plan to watch it because I don't care what other cosplayers do to prepare their costumes or put them on to go to a convention. I do that enough myself, it's not entertaining.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #39
Sticks
First Sergeant Melchiott

What Emmisu said.

It is to my understanding that as a docu-series, there's really not going to be a whole heck of a lot of drama, or interaction with the other featured cosplayers. I personally think it's a brilliant idea, and an excellent way to showcase some really phenomenal work. I don't know her personally, but I do know of one of the featured costumers, and she's really freaking amazing. I've looked up to her for a long time when it comes to Star Wars cosplay.

So in short, I'm looking forward to watching it. Syfy has never turned out "crap", and I don't believe that they're going to start anytime soon. This idea sounds like it will be really neat, and I greatly look forward to seeing how everything pans out. I'll definitely be watching it for sure.

"Giving up is what kills people. When you refuse to give up, you transcend your humanity."- Alucard

2014 Conventions:
AnimeBoston (tentative)
Momocon
Dragon*Con
AWA
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #40
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
Syfy has never turned out "crap", and I don't believe that they're going to start anytime soon.
Alphas
Continuum
Total Blackout
Robot Combat League
Exit
Proof Positive
Marcel's Quantum Kitchen
First Wave
Who Wants to be a Superhero?

And a bunch of crappy original movies including sharks, tornadoes, hurricanes, piranhas, octopi, and combinations of one or more of these things.
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #41
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ng31 View Post
Because cosplay is totally about becoming a famousu idoru loved by legions of neck-bearded internet dwellers and not about making costumes of characters you love for the sake of hanging out with friends at a convention and having a good time.

Seems like a SMASHING good time...
^ This x100000
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #42
kojirojames2004
Have not decided for 2014

Bump!

Video for the series teaser is up on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epo1F4lc_lE
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #43
hikaru2322

I can't wait to see it! I'm not into the competition scene, so it will certainly be interesting to see that on the show.
hikaru2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #44
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

I don't have cable, and no desire to torrent, so ultimately my opinion on the show is moot. But even if I did, chances are I wouldn't go near it. While I have no problem with the people chosen to be on the show, that trailer didn't exactly sell me on the concept. That sound clip of one of the girls screaming "This is literally cutting in my rent money-" isn't doing anyone any favors.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #45
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

I hope it doesn't discorage people from trying to be in a cosplay contest cause they think they need to be master level to compete