Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Unread 03-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
PanDo
Who?

HELP! anbu cosplay

hmm...i am totally new at this so i need help...i want to cosplay as an anbu either the ones with the robe (that seems a bit easy) or the kakashi kind...i just need help with putting together the clothes (the vest and arm guards) i already know how to make a mask...so if anyone has experience with this your help with be appreciated

heres an example of the kakashi kind http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Club/2574/anbu.jpg

thanks again!

Last edited by PanDo : 03-30-2004 at 10:43 PM.
PanDo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

For starters, you only need to post in one forum; people will find it.

Second, try this thread: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...t=anbu+kakashi

Third, to search a forum, use the purple button in the upper right corner, and enter your search words. They have to be at least 4 letters long, though.

There's another thread about the anbu with the robes - basically, its the usual anbu with a black robe on top. It's only got 3 or 4 posts in it. You can find it using the search method I suggested.

You can check out the props forum or the FAQ if you want armor making advice.

Also, since many people are wondering how to make the masks, think you could share your method?

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:43 PM   #3
FiFi
Neko-->meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanDo
hmm...i am totally new at this so i need help...i want to cosplay as an anbu either the ones with the robe (that seems a bit easy) or the kakashi kind...i just need help with putting together the clothes (the vest and arm guards) i already know how to make a mask...so if anyone has experience with this your help with be appreciated

heres an example of the kakashi kind http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Club/2574/anbu.jpg

thanks again!
Anbu...I love the Anbu outfit~~~~
well the arm guard...= =b how can I explain it to you?!! I know how to make them...just.....arggggg.....not good with English T.T
well, most of the Chinese cosplayers they use normal fabric, polyester mostly, or or something that's stretchy to make the arm gard. The thickness of it nor the hardness of the armgard have been denial by most of them~ o>v<o

How do you make the mask?? I can't figure that part out~!
FiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:27 AM   #4
PanDo
Who?

well Iím going to use a balloon, (or something close to the size of my head) and mold a mask using paper mache, which consists of glue and cut up paper. Once I have the shape id cover the paper up with clay and then sculpt it to the shape I want. Iím not sure if Iím going to fire the clay because it usually needs about 300 degrees and when I tried it myself at home my project blew up...so Iím going to try to find clay that dries and hardens...hahaha...but Iíve made a mask before so this method does work

oh im sorry about posting twice i thought that no one saw it...hahaha and thanks for the advice!
PanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 04:06 AM   #5
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I saw it, and I'm going to merge your threads.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2004, 12:16 PM   #6
PerniciousJuJu

I'm also looking for anbu masks. I noticed that some anbu cosplayers have the animal like look in the anime. I tried making it out of paper mache but it didn't turn out so well. Now my only choice is to make buy a regular human mask and make it look anbuish. Is there anyway i can get the real anbu masks?
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 02:28 PM   #7
WaZzUp115

hm.. i want an anbu mask too... im thinking of taking bandages and dipping it in plaster and just lay it all over my face and let it dry.. it works..
but the ballon and paper version also works.. dunno wich ones best...

also should the wests be gray or white??
its grey in the anime... but many cosplayers have white.. and some pictures too...
WaZzUp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #8
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I think most cosplayers wear white because they use tanktops or alter t-shirts. I personally think the grey should be quite light (not a dark grey) for the vests if you are choosing fabric to make your own.

Some people use human-shaped masks first, and build them up with paperclay. I haven't seen "ANBU" masks, but the 100 yen stores in Japan usually sell a 'fox demon' mask that is somewhat similar, so you might be able to find a store online that sells them. It's thin plastic, though.

Unread 07-15-2004, 04:44 AM   #9
WaZzUp115

but what _IS_ an "anbu" mask?
you mean the back of the mask should be round?
you could do that with a balloon
Unread 07-15-2004, 07:14 AM   #10
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I think "Anbu" masks are just masks that have an animal essence to them - some have ears, some fox snouts, some bird-like features... anything. Make a neat mask, and I am sure it'll do. Most are oval shaped, so they cover your face.

Unread 07-15-2004, 08:58 AM   #11
HuongStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
I haven't seen "ANBU" masks, but the 100 yen stores in Japan usually sell a 'fox demon' mask that is somewhat similar, so you might be able to find a store online that sells them. It's thin plastic, though.
I actually prefer how the Japanese cosplayers do the ANBU costumes and it looks like the trend is catching on here in U.S. I've seen many Japanese cosplayers with the same style mask that you're describing but they seem more "substantial" than flimsy plastic. Are there any masks like you described, except higher quality?

By the way, are you going to TGS?
Unread 07-15-2004, 12:31 PM   #12
WaZzUp115

hm.. my misstake.. i thought you where saying that you havent seen any "real ANBU" masks.. and that you meant that the ones wich other cosplayers use are "not real"... :P

i think ill use the balloon technique...
and maybe i can persuade my dad to buy a katana for 130$
Unread 07-15-2004, 10:34 PM   #13
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuongStar
I've seen many Japanese cosplayers with the same style mask that you're describing but they seem more "substantial" than flimsy plastic. Are there any masks like you described, except higher quality?

By the way, are you going to TGS?

I haven't looked for more substantial masks, but I am sure there are. I think they're used at special festivals... I haven't kept a look out, but if I see a good one, maybe I can make note of it. Chances are, a store in Tokyo or Osaka or something would have them.

No, sadly, no Game Show for me. I don't have the time or money... I *really* wanted to go to the Character Show, but maybe I can go next year. It's too far away for me - I'm up in Aomoriken. I am going to Comiket, though. Quite excited! Can't wait to see all the Naruto cosplay. I'm actually planning Tsunade (but not for comiket) - bought shoes yesterday.

Unread 07-16-2004, 05:45 AM   #14
WaZzUp115

hm.. i think ill go for a white colored west..
seen alot of people whom have it and it looks cooler than grey IMO..
also those arm protector.. things.. what are they made of? iwe seen some that have ones in metal others in fabric and some in white..
Unread 07-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #15
HuongStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
I haven't looked for more substantial masks, but I am sure there are. I think they're used at special festivals... I haven't kept a look out, but if I see a good one, maybe I can make note of it. Chances are, a store in Tokyo or Osaka or something would have them.
Do you know what they're called? I've scoured the internet for any kind of online store that carries masks but no one has anything remotely like those mask! >_<