Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 07-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
TheCosplayFox

Original design gypsy

Hi so it'll be my first time going to a ren fair and I'll be in costume as gypsy I was wondering what are your guys thoughts on my outfit and should I add anything else or be aware of me doing something wrong I've never been ren fair so I'm nervous that my costume isn't right maybe I'm just being silly?

also would my normal hair be fine for this short blonde or would it be better to just wear a long curly wig or something?

In the 2nd photo I added trim and coins to the bandanna thing.

TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Renfests have basically no rules on costumes and for every fantastic costumer, there's ten people in cheap fairy wings or halloween-store costumes. I think you will, and do, look great. I do think a long wig would look a little better with the costume, but I assure you, nobody at the fest will care if you don't.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

You can wear whatever you want, there are no rules.

I would say, though, that I wouldn't call it a "gypsy" costume because that word is pretty loaded - like if you said you had an "indian" costume - and while it's totally awesome and cool to study historical people and understand their cultures and appreciate them, it can really hurt those people and those that care about them to see a negative name for their group applied to a fantasy costume.

Even just saying "I'm a fantasy (*finger quotes*) gypsy (*finger quotes*)" will let people know you understand the difference. There's nothing wrong with your costume - so don't take it like that.

On another note ! It will most likely be super hot and sunny out - if the one you're going to is anything like the one I go to you will likely be really happy if you can incorporate a brimmed hat of any kind. And make sure to wear sunscreen. Also, again, if it's anything like the one I go to it will be really dusty so you will get pretty filthy. When I worked at one for a season the costume I wore... well, I'm pretty sure it will never be actually "clean" again. Also, if the ground is dust/rocks/dirt/woodchips you might be much happier with closed shoes. Some pretty gross stuff gets on the ground and just for the squick factor I wouldn't want my feet exposed to it.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote