Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
ThornSprite
Master of the Unfinished

Question Sideburns and Goatee?

Hey there,

I'm not a newbie to crossplay (seeing as that's what I do most often), but this is going to be the first time I'm doing serious facial hair. I want to do Flynn Rider from Tangled, and I want to possibly make the goatee and sideburns myself. Now, I do know about crepe wool and crepe hair, but I was wondering if anyone had tips for putting that on tulle for reusable ones? Also tips for a goatee? Thanks!
ThornSprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

That's how I do sideburns, actually. I've had a pair that so far I've been using almost three years, so they're quite reusable (though I'd like to make a new pair since spirit gum builds up on the back and they're kind of chunkier-looking now than I'd like).

Basically, you make a paper template of how you want your sideburns to look. Once you get that to the right size and shape (make sure it'll go up far enough into your wig's hairline that you can't see a gap...one thing I don't like about the first pair I made, since I have to be extra mindful about this with mine), use it to cut four pieces of tulle (two for each side). Then, I painted liquid latex on the tulle to get the layers to stick together...and I put thin layers of crepe hair cut roughly to the right size on, starting from the bottom, using liquid latex to adhere them to the tulle. Fan out the layers so they're kind of as thin as possible, since it looks weird if you put too much on at once. Once you get all the way to the top of your piece, let it dry while you do the other one, then trim anywhere the hair looks too long.

You can also add a little bit of crepe hair to your actual skin around the removable piece, too, if the guy you're cosplaying isn't somebody who trims super neatly, etc.

You could also use a ventilating needle to pull the fibers through wig lace but I've never done that.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
kuro-nee
Instant noodles eater

I used the wig ventilating method to make my moustache and goatee for my Bofur cosplay. You can use a similar method to make the sideburns. Though for my Balin cosplay I sewed wefts on to the tulle and used a bit of wig ventilating to make the edges nicer. Just don't make them too thick; Bofur and Balin are dwarves and they have so much hair!

For wig ventilating, you can follow this tutorial. Stretch your tulle over with the embroidery ring and you'll find it a bit easier.
kuro-nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
ThornSprite
Master of the Unfinished

Thank you guys so much! These both sound like really good methods. The only thing now is maybe with the goatee, seeing as Flynn's kind of covers his whole chin. Should I use the same method and kind of sew a chin-sized cup of tulle?
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
kuro-nee
Instant noodles eater

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/...psdb7db4e1.jpg
Basically yeah. Then you do a bit of wig ventilating for the hair strands and draw in the little dots at the side to even it out. Or you could get a pre-made goatee if you are not squicky about having human hair on your chin.
kuro-nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
ThornSprite
Master of the Unfinished

Thank you muchly! This helped so much. :3

Aki-Con

ECCC

Sakura-Con
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I just wanted to say thanks for describing your method, belligerent. I just finished my quick-and-dirty Zoro sideburns and your method is AMAZING. Whether or not I attach these to the wig, they look nicer than the wefted ones I started a year ago and got frustrated with.

So thank you!! And to think I was searching all through the wig forum to no avail, but I remembered seeing something you posted about it. Bookmarking it now!

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

No problem, glad to help!!
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote