Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 01-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
lmno

Anyone else going to ALA alone?

Hi.
This is my first time at ALA. I was totally fine going stag for the first day of Anime Expo since there was so much to do and so many people around, but has anyone ever gone to ALA alone and been like, I don't know, totally bored after three hours or something?
I have a couple meetups I wanna go to, and I haven't really looked at programming too much and found out what I wanna do there...but basically my question for returners to the con is, do you think I'll be occupied enough for the three days even without a group to keep me company?
Crona Gorgon - Soul Eater - 80% DONE
Ymir - Shingeki No Kyojin - 50% DONE
Sheik - Legend of Zelda -10% DONE
Black*Star - Soul Eater - 10% DONE
CONS PLANNED: Anime Expo 2014
lmno is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

The con is very small in my opinion, if you don't have much planned there there isn't much to do. The dealers hall can be circulated and done with in a matter of an hour, hour and a half if you're actually looking through all of them, easily. Theres one hall with a few panels and game rooms, AMV show room (If they still even have that). Theres the lobby which is more of a hang out area, which has a coffee (Pretty sure its Starbucks) shop and a restaurant, as well as I believe a bar. The outside has a large patio area where majority of gatherings are held while inside, the pool area/ small garden area is always packed, so be careful. I remember they have two rooms where you walk through and can get free food plus a badge.

I would say; If you know what you wanna do and have some stuff planned, then yes, you're already set and will be plenty busy, if not, then no, having a group is good if you're bored and wanna see what others had in mind.
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
ShiroKanade
Yay Life Fibers

It will also be my first time at ALA. I technically attended Anime Expo 2013 alone, and oddly, I actually ran out of things to do at it, since most of the panels were kind of boring, and the musical guests were visual kei and pop groups I had 0 interest in.

My suggestion is to try out everything with an open mind. Review the schedule, see if there is anything you like. Oh and collect ribbons

Katsucon 2015
ShiroKanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
iaShakezula

Its is a smaller con in comparison to AX but it has gotten better over the past years .

The schedule is not up yet but keep yourself busy, there are alot of things going on at the same time in a smaller scale , so plan out what you want to do becuase no matter what , you will get bored from doing nothing . This is a pretty chill convention , alot of folks hang out more.

Saturday will be the busiest since there will be more people.

I am staffing 2 departments even though I go to ALA (and AX) alone every year but I know a lot of folks over the years.

The pool area is always entertaining becuase of all the gathering.

PMX SIZE="2"]

I am almost done working on the Sports cosplay.I have to finish Barakamon Sensei jinbei and red miku outfit.

[/size]

Last edited by iaShakezula : 01-08-2014 at 02:15 PM.
iaShakezula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Anime Los Angeles is a social convention, odds are high that you will leave with many more friends than when you came inside.

Just have an open mind and don't be afraid to make friends.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Los Angeles, Otakon Vegas
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Deci

If you want to really have fun at an anime con, then ignore panels. Just go around being social and meeting people. Walk up to a random persona dn tell them you like their costume, go give free hugs to the people with signs, and just have a good attitude about it. Go there to make friends, and remember you're around people you can relate with. If you follow this, then you'll thank me later.
Deci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
CelCosplay
CelestineLocsin

Going alone but I would be hang out with friends that I know… Theres a lot of panels, workshops and gatherings. it will be fun!
twitter.com/cellocsin
CelCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

The schedule is actually available on Guidebook.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #9
lmno

Thank you all! This is helpful, and I'll be sure to look up the schedule ^
One more question: at Anime Expo it was also relatively easy to bring friends who didn't have badges into the general areas of the convention center, like you could wander in all the open areas and you only needed your badge to get into specific rooms where events, panels, the artist alley and etc. were happening.
Is ALA the same deal? Or will they need a badge to be anywhere in con territory?
lmno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #10
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Recent posts say they will need a badge for that. ALA is completely sold out this year.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote