Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 07-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Guns and Missile packs!!

Hey everyone, I already have a few other threads regarding this cosplay, but now I'm working on the actual props.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps1c72c14a.png

That's what I'm making. Basically, it's just the guns she holds and the missile packs behind her. However, I'm trying to figure out the best, light weight way to make them. I have never made missile packs before, so that I need help in all together.

I already have a gun basically made, but my damn phone refuses to let me email it to myself, so I can't post it >.<

But I don't think cardboard boxes is the way to go for the back of that..I'm using the shipping tubes for sure though as I already have them and they work wing. However, I know it'll be a complete pain in the ass to get the rest of the stuff to look smooth and wonder what else I can do..

Now I already have a drawing of how I want it to look basically:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...psf8f1d667.jpg
It's a pretty easy pic to understand, just wondering how I can do this. I would also really love to be able to make the areas I have drawn that look like what I believe would be pivots, to moce. Where I can adjust it to where I feel fit, but also STAY there..Like a really hard to move pivot. I guess "tight" would be the word..Anyway, Any thoughts?

I'm still not 100% on exactly what I'm talking about, so this can be a brainstorming thread I guess too..

OH!! and I need to mention, I thill need to be able to hold these by the handles, meaning the missile packs have to be super light so they don't kill me trying to hold them up. The arm armor will not be connected to this as they are separate parts.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh, I forgot, don't worry about what ideas you suggest, this will be one of those cosplays I want to look extremely amazing and will shell out a bigger amount then most my other stuff.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Honestly I would just make the entire thing from PVC foam, since they're boxey in nature and I've used PVC foam extensively for armor. The entire 3DMG contraption weighed maybe 3 lbs per set, and the majority of that weight was due to the PVC pipe. You'll just need some super glue and a box cutter and you'll be making missile packs like a champ in no time!

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...r-christa.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Really? That sounds good. I like that you say it's that light, it really makes me wanna use you're method more now. I was actually thinking about asking you since I love all your tutorials (yes, I have seen all of them, I just don't read them cuz they usually are things I don't use).

So, now comes the question of what exactly pvc foam is..Sorry, the only things I've used so far are insulation foam and cardboard..If you can tell me where to get it I can do that as it seems to be perfect for this. Now, if I were to make it that way, what are the odds of it being crushed? Is this stuff pretty sturdy? You say PVC so I assume it's a sort os plastic/foam which would be pretty strong, but I'd like to make sure ya know lol.

Also, to make the pivots (is that even the right word?), would you have any suggestions on making them how I mentioned?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I know I PMed you Mage, but I'm gonna keep this updated I guess since I've never seen any tutorials on missle packs like these. Nor for the guns. So I will make a tutorial when I'm all done too.

Anyway, I bought some foam board (the kind that's foam with construction paper sides) for my mock ups. Since I want the plastic to be the same thickness, I will UISE the same thickness for the mock. Anyway, starting today I will be focusing on it for a long while. I got 8 sheets..I already know it's not enough lol Anyway, I'm gonna hit up tap plastics after my con in sept. I wanna make sure they carry sintra (since that's what you said PVC foam was)..See how much it'll cost me..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I bought Sintra online from ePlastics, aka Ridout Plastics. After working with it for only a little over a week, I'm annoyed that I didn't start using it sooner.
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/PVC_Foam_Board

If you get the thicker stuff, an inexpensive jigsaw or other power cutting tool (Rotozip, etc) will make it much easier to cut than trying to use a hobby knife.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

That's actually more expensive then the site mage gave me..I was looking to get the 1/4in for massive stablility, and the 48x96 was aroung $60 on there, but on the place you gave me, the same one (which I believe it's the same) says it's l;ike around $80. Also, I don't have that store anywhere near me, and I'd rather not have to buy it online
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
CosmicAshProps

hey! another person in beautiful western Washington!

im not sure how far exactly it is from you but there are a few tap plastics scattered around the area and they make my life alt happier haha
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

I've worked with Ridout and their plastics are the same as SDplastics but more expensive. Their showroom is much nicer though. I actually live closer to Ridout, but choose the longer drive to SDPlastics due to price and friendlier staff.

I'd recommend against the 6mm stuff (1/4') since it will get very heavy very fast. 3mm (1/8") is much better for this application and will save you a significant amount of money. I did this 6' scythe for RWBY using 3mm and it doesn't deflect at all when held at any angle.

Write up isn't posted yet but a lot of WIP pictures are on my Twitter for this project.

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Cosmic, that's actually exactly where I plan to go. I believe the closest one is in the U-District. If you know a closer one to auburn, I'd love to know where it is lol.

Mage, wow..that looks way awesome. I didn't think of the weight..yea that could impose a huge problem. I'll go with the smaller them. I mean, you would know more then me about it so why even doubt that lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
CosmicAshProps

huh i didnt know there was one in the u district, i just know one maybe 10 minutes from the needle, and i thought there was one in tacoma'''if you ever go to the one in ynnwood tell them Allen sent you!! haha

they call it foamed pvc and i recommend getting it in gray or white and 1/8th inch thick
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

You're amazing thank you so much, cosmic!! I even googled tap before and it always only shows seattle. Can't do Lynnwood though, too far for me, but Tacoma is way closer, I can totally do that. Well, you may be seeing this if you go to Sakuracon next year..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
CosmicAshProps

i was there this last year for the first time, bbut i was just taking pictures for my friend and his bat man suit but ill be at all the other conventions in the area in this fall though! i doubt it will be done by then but im always eager to meet other local builders
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I assume since you said "fall" that you aren't attending Kumoricon (labor day weekend). If you were I'd say meet me there and we can talk about the plastic and stuff but I WILL be at Akicon (which since you say fall, that's the fall one) in the Artist Alley so I'll be easy to find. I won't have this there though since being in the AA means I need to have simple stuff
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
CosmicAshProps

i guess there are two conventions i wont be going to...haha i go to comic conventions rather then the anime ones sakuracon was my first branch outside my world haha

but as far as the arm/gun/rocket pack on a mounted arm, i think youre going to have to build some support in the way of building a shoulder harness so they arent constantly sagging and wearing your triceps out.

if this is a custom build id take a look at the movie "edge of tomorrow" and scope out the designs how they made that sui tom cruise struts around in