Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 07-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Mintsu
Grand Couturier

Lightweight Portable Fake Fire

Hello! I'm going to be cosplaying Queen Himiko from Okami and I've been thinking of ways to make her headpiece.

I have a pretty crazy idea. I'd like to make a fake fire made of a small fan blowing on lightweight fabric, plus some LED lights. Something like this, but small, portable, and light enough to carry on my head.
I was thinking maybe a small computer fan could work, but I'm not sure if that would be powerful enough to make the fabric move properly. Plus most computer fans are USB powered so I'm not sure how to make it portable.
Basically, these are my questions: Is this possible? Are there any other ways to achieve the effect of flame-like motion? Any suggestions for other ways to make this fire?
Here are some other reference images and a video of Himiko in-game: [referece] [video]
pearl steven universe
kiki kiki's delivery service

Mintsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Irarenovo
cheesecake!

They actually make things like this.. I googled "halloween torch"

http://www.amazon.com/Fortune-Produc...alloween+torch

I've actually saved one of these around.. hoping to use it some day for cosplay.. haha
Irarenovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Talossa
We try hardcore!

This is more than possible, I've done it! Alas, I do not have the pictures with me at the moment. They sell cooling fans of the kind that are supposed to go inside your computer case. (Look for 'muffin fans') These don't have USB hookups, just wires coming off. If you know enough about electrics to wire up some LEDs, these should be a piece of cake. In my case I was able to find a couple 1" fans at a local surplus store, but I've no idea where to look for that on the internet. Since your fire is a bit bigger, you might also look into slightly bigger fans. Make sure they've got room below them for air circulation, and plenty of space above. Also be warned that they will make noise.

The good thing is, with that headdress, you've got plenty of room to hide batteries, wires, switches, and all that other stuff. As long as you make the headdress from lightweight materials, weight likely will not be an issue, but if you can, you should try to distribute the stress evenly and make sure that it's attached very firmly to your head. In my case, I was covering my whole head with fire, so I made a close fitting cap as a base, then made my basic framework out of plastic cross stitch cloth. I used pieces of it as a grid to hold LEDs in place and made a "cage" out of it on the back of my head to hold all the electrical stuff and give the flames some volume. Since the cloth is a grid, it was easy to sew to the fabric cap, and then I covered it all in tulle.

Since you've got actual hair to worry about, it will be a bit trickier, but I'm not sure what can be done for that. XD

Good luck!
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote