Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Wearing cosplay out in public

I remember on Sunday of Anime Boston 2013, my mom basically forced me and my friend to walk a quarter of the way there because of traffic. (I was Lucy/Nyu from Elfen Lied, so bright pink hair and horns on my head definitely got me some attention, and she wasn't in cosplay.) I got some interesting stares, and two random people took pictures of me without asking. (Seriously, I saw two flashes) We just giggled the entire walk.

What are your experiences with wearing cosplay out in public? As long as no one knows who I am, I think it's really fun
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

I haven't really had any public cosplay experience, honestly, besides walking around conventions and outside of conventions, or walking across the street from a hotel to a convention.

I have done group cosplay in public places like fair grounds, stores and other places, but that's always for an event, not a spur-of-the-moment thing.

Still, I think it would be fun. :P

Last edited by Blue Leader : 07-28-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Honestly I would never cosplay out in public unless it is in close proximity to the convention on convention days. Many of these conventions are held in conservative cities that think you are a nut case for being in costume.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 30% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Mewtwo
Jedi Link 3.0
JediofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

I went shopping with my friend in my Sera Myu Serenity-Dress this weekend (she wanted to find something to replace her cosplay, after she collapsed due to the terrible heat yesterday). It was kinda funny and all the little girls stared at my with big eyes, so I just smiled and waved xD

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I have friends who had a con-break going to McDonald's and they went with their costumes.

Never actually done it, but I guess it must be fun, like Halloween more times a year just without the candy and the trick or treat.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

I once went inside a CVS across from a mini-con still in costume (Sniper), but I didn't get many awkward looks, though I wasn't really looking around to see any. Then again it's not every day you have a guy dressed as an Australian mercenary walk in a pharmacy for a Coke.
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Mr. Van Driessen (Beavis and Butthead)
The Riddler
The Undertaker (WWE)
Mike Schmidt (Five Nights at Freddy's)

Working on:
Captain 'Murica (20%)
Leatherface (0%)

Planned:
Foxy (FNAF)
Beach Bear (Rockafire Explosion)
Macho Man Randy Savage

Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Nay Tamaru
w00t w00t :)

I typically never cosplay in public unless it's during an event. For AX this year, we had to walk over a mile from our hotel to the convention, not too many strange looks but some people took photos. It also helped that there were a ton of cosplayers walking all about, so they're probably used to it by now.

Okay, I guess I "kinda of" cosplay in public when I wear a top that shows my tattoo and put my hair up like Riza's (which I do a lot because I have kids) but that's only when my hair is blonde, lol.
-Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail) - (season 1) first orange dress
-Kululu (Sgt.Frog) - fem human-version of Kululu, group cosplay
Complete List of all other future cosplay on my Facebook page

-Anime Expo (LA) 2014
-Anime Matsuri (Houston)

Last edited by Nay Tamaru : 07-28-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add more :)
Nay Tamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Halfanelf
Archaeological Mania

When I finish my current project, I will totally take it to the streets of my town!
Raine Sage, Tales of Symphonia
Raine Sage formal costume, Tales of Symphonia
White mage, Final Fantasy XIV:ARR

IN PROGRESS:

Anna travel version, Disney's Frozen: 65%
Gunner Yuna, Final Fantasy X-2: 80%

dA Account~

Check me out on Facebook, too!

Looking for cosplay buddies and pairings~ Maryland/D.C. region~
Halfanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I go out in costume all the time. Went to IKEA to pick up some shelves in costume and I tend to frequent CVS and McDonalds while in costume since I go to events and meetups like every weekend and stop at those two places on my way to those events.

You get some people taking creeper/stalker pics but that's just their loss. Instead of asking for a pic and getting a decent one, they choose to just get mediocre pics :P Usually I know around where the creeper pics are being taken from so I always keep my back turned so that they don't get a good view of me.

Mostly though when I am out, since I go out as Jack Sparrow, people are just like "Hey it's Jack Sparrow!" and they think it's pretty neat. Overall I have had pretty good experiences being out in costume in public.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Nay Tamaru
w00t w00t :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay Tamaru View Post
I typically never cosplay in public unless it's during an event. For AX this year, we had to walk over a mile from our hotel to the convention, not too many strange looks but some people took photos. It also helped that there were a ton of cosplayers walking all about, so they're probably used to it by now.
Well, I guess some people could classify me as cosplay if I'm wearing a top that shows my tattoo and my hair is still blonde. :/ But other than that, no cosplay in public, lol
-Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail) - (season 1) first orange dress
-Kululu (Sgt.Frog) - fem human-version of Kululu, group cosplay
Complete List of all other future cosplay on my Facebook page

-Anime Expo (LA) 2014
-Anime Matsuri (Houston)
Nay Tamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
You get some people taking creeper/stalker pics but that's just their loss. Instead of asking for a pic and getting a decent one, they choose to just get mediocre pics :P Usually I know around where the creeper pics are being taken from so I always keep my back turned so that they don't get a good view of me.
I just smiled and kindly asked them if they'd like a better picture, lol. The look on their face was too priceless. They weren't just people with camera cell phones either, they had professional photography cameras. I probably ended up on one of those "weird sights of Boston" articles. XD
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

in my city we have gatherings once (sometimes twice) a month so I try to attend to them as much as I can since I don't go to a lot of conventions (until now xD ) but usually people just watch us as we play games and whatnot. A couple of people do ask for pictures and some take them a far and we're okay with it.

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 95%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Lolita!Mikasa -AoT 25%
Hinata Hyuga - Naruto 10%
Yin - Darker than Black 35%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Cerise Hood - EAH
Madeline Hatter - EAH
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

My friends and I were having an Otakon prep party yesterday, I was Hirato from Karneval, and we got hungry and went to McDonald's. I was the only one in costume and I had my cane with me (I forgot to put it back inside and wound up shoving it into my coat.) when I got to McDonald's, a group of people in line told me I looked awesome and continued to talk amongst themselves. I caught snippets of their conversation "I think soul eater...nobody in soul eater wears that!...do you want me to ask?...no, don't ask...I'm just gonna ask!" And I turned and said "do you wanna know who I'm dressed as?" Apparently the one girl was stressing herself out trying to figure it out.
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Brokkenbroll-Un Lun Dun, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
bunneahmunkeah
Creator of Unicorns

Hell, I stopped caring what people think about me and the way I dress when I was 5 or 6. Wore tutus until I was in my early 20's then graduated to wearing what I make.

It's the opinion of a bunch of strangers whom I will never see again aside from in passing in public. For all I know they could be the worst IRL criminal types on planet earth; making their opinions less than relevant.

The good news is when you are packing kunais, swords or other cosplay props - no one tends to actually mess with you. It's more curiosity and cowardice I've found.

If my mother would have laughed at me, this might be a whole nother conversation however. I had nothing but love and support from the family and I've learned the petty opinions of every small town stranger matters as much as the farts of every small town stranger. I don't menace children or make myself a nuisance; so, what I wear is my biz-nass and I'll happily defend anyone's right to be weird in public

Come check out my gallery, stalker me on FB ~ DA ~ Twitter , learn more about my work and community involvement on my blog OR take a gander at my shoppe to inquire about custom work. Mention the forum and a discount might fall into your lap XD

bunneahmunkeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randommerade View Post
I just smiled and kindly asked them if they'd like a better picture, lol. The look on their face was too priceless. They weren't just people with camera cell phones either, they had professional photography cameras. I probably ended up on one of those "weird sights of Boston" articles. XD
Oh that's weird. Maybe they were doing a photography project and needed candid photos then. I feel that there's a difference between people with substantial cameras and people sneaking pics with their cell phones.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote