Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
Oh that's weird. Maybe they were doing a photography project and needed candid photos then. I feel that there's a difference between people with substantial cameras and people sneaking pics with their cell phones.
Yeah, it was weird. But there was no way they had my name or a clear shot of my face, so no biggie :P Your Jack cosplay is great, by the way!

Last edited by Randommerade : 07-28-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Ilafatyu
That guy

PiC and I sometimes hang around downtown as Izaya and Shizuo. I've gotten compliments on my jacket from non-cosplayers, and she basically wears her work uniform, so it's not as if we wear anything that stands out.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Dragonic Kaiser
Dragons <3

I've considered going out to a mall in cosplay as a sort of test on how the outfit looks and how I carry myself in it. I never actually did it though. People are going to be ignorant. No matter how good you look or how proudly you walk, they'll laugh. It's nothing to upset about though.
Dragonic Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonic Kaiser View Post
I've considered going out to a mall in cosplay as a sort of test on how the outfit looks and how I carry myself in it. I never actually did it though. People are going to be ignorant. No matter how good you look or how proudly you walk, they'll laugh. It's nothing to upset about though.
From my short experience most people just stare or (if they're bold) give you compliments. Don't be afraid! If you're too intimidated, try driving out of town and going to a different mall where nobody will recognize you.
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
Mae Bliss

I've gotten a few looks but that doesn't surprise me- I'd be curious too!
Mae Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Amanita

I've cosplayed in public a few times- I don't hang out at the mall in full Jedi rig, but I have been known to attend festive civic events in costume- bridgewalk and buskerfest to name a couple. I've also been known to do photoshoots in public parks, it's hella fun.

My friends and I don't go around messing with other people, playing games like "freak the normals" or whatever. That's not how we roll. We just focus on having our own good time, and if other people are curious or interested, that's great too.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #22
Mystery221
Unknown species

My friend and I drove to a con in costume once. We got a few strange looks from other drivers.
Mystery221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #23
Kelley
Devil of Details

My friends and I were on the way to the Renaissance Festival once and we saw clowns in another car and it was awesome.

I feel bad for anyone who is afraid of clowns because they're the shit.

I'm sometimes "in public" in costume before or after an event or whatever. I don't really have any cool stories. I had people ask if they could pet my fuzzy coat before. And once someone fist-bumped me, but that was on Halloween so I don't think it really counts as "in public" in this sense since the general public was in costumes that day.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

If you asked me when I first started cosplaying if I would cosplay in public, I would probably say no, lol. I'm so use to it now since usually during cons I will go out and eat in cosplay, and sometimes stop at some stores for whatever reason. I'm now at the point where I sort of like the stares that people give, and find it hilarious especially if I'm with other people are are dressed up too XD

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
Suuki
Sakura Chan

I went as Sakura around a Target, Walmart and a few other stores a few days before Anime Expo.. I was mostly just testing out the cosplay and finding some more cosplay pieces for Naruto.
I got tons of people who recognized me.. that is always awesome.. ^^ I even had a nice conversation with one of them about Anime Expo.
My mom pays attention to all the people who stare at me.. I don't really notice it. I love all of the stares, though. I don't even care if someone calls me a freak. (haven't got that yet)
Before then, I had been at the local park. A bunch of little kids kept calling me Gaga.. xD I don't see it, but they got ignored completly.

I went as Naruto to Joans, twice. I got someone who guessed I was coming back from Anime Expo.. She was a mom and we had a long conversation about the convention. She even took my picture. After that, I went to Ross. And a couple of Mc. Donalds. My mom always love telling random people who I am.. xD (she is a big Naruto fan)

And I went as Hinata to PF Changs and 2 Walmarts.. I got someone tell me they loved my hair.. ^^ However, when we were going back to the car from Walmart, my mom told me she heard someone pull the.. "it isn't Halloween yet" .. I didn't hear it.. kinda wish I did. I would have had a wonderful comeback.
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #26
xshinox
Ryu Hou, HA HA HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonic Kaiser View Post
I've had this happened before. Usually the young african american kids (middle/highschool) try and say something from afar like making weird sounds. I'm more better dressed than they will ever be in their gangster clothing
xshinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #27
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Haven't yet..Not outside of con dates anyway..I will in late august though..Some people from up in my state are having a hang out/picnic so I will be going in cosplay.

Other then that, only durring con time. I have been to a number of stores DURRING con and never really got many looks..2011 we had a meet up where we all went to the mall a few blocks away, and we got a lot of questions and pics taken, but no weird looks until we got IN the mall..We went to the food court and wowie!! no BAD looks, but people looked interested haha
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #28
Khorrupt

On free comic book day this year, my friends and I wore our YJ costumes to the store, and, since I'm so used to people staring at me while in costume, I don't really notice it anymore. My friend dressed as Artemis was laughing her ass off because the guy in the car next to us sees me (painted green) and nearly wrecked his car with that "I can't be seeing that right" look on his face.

That same day, we also had to go pick up her brothers' bikes from some sports center. There were a looooot of people there and I was still green. Everyone stared, and it was quite awkward, but on the way out, a guy even asked for a picture of us XD

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~kigurumi!Silkie (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier - 15% complete
~Princess Peach - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
TheRealZain

When/if I finish, I will definitely wear it around to get comfortable, if not that then for any reactions, before wearing it to a con.

Exciting.
TheRealZain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
hikaru2322

I've had to take the train and walk from the station to the Javits Center multiple times for NYCC, been to the mall a couple times in cosplay, and even walked around London twice in cosplay. All times I've had a fun time. It's very interesting to see people's reactions. I've gotten my picture taken by some random people, and even gotten my character recognized a couple times ^^
hikaru2322 is offline   Reply With Quote