Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

I've gone to a couple movies in cosplay (typically opening night), and I have gotten some funny looks from my neighbors when doing photoshoots in my yard, but other than that I only go into public while at a con. Since the Hynes is in a mall, I've gotten used to the reactions from the public. Typically people are just interested in what's going on. I got a lot of comments on GLaDOS at AB this year, and my brother had all kinds of people commenting on his Wheatley. While at the Cheesecake Factory a guy asked if my brother would pose with his son. And in the mall we both had two little kids come up and ask to have their picture taken with us.
Honestly, I haven't really noticed people taking random pictures of me, but I can be pretty oblivious. Most people ask me, and it's usually to take a picture with a kid. I'm always happy to oblige ^^

Unread 07-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Not really outside of con dates as I'm not THAT confident enough to strut in my costume without friends. But for conventions I've gotten numerous comments for the USO Tony Stark costume. Megacon- Went to WaWas for the first time and while getting myself a coffee this kid is asking his mommy: "Is that Tony Stark in Drag?" I'd say he was about 9 too. Then at AnimeBoston, I had to ride the train in Costume every day to/back to the convention. Most people didn't understand and asked if I was a Lady with a beard. o3o And awkwardly, in the train I was standing due to no seats being left and this guy was sitting behind me muttering stuff to himself and leaning forward so it looked kinda like he was trying to peak under the dress (Thank god I have shorts under it)
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #33
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

My friend and I went to a cosplay meet up at the beach earlier this month. We arrived by car but the area is a tourist location so we got a lot of stares. One guy ran up to us and was really excited to see us. He had just come from AX and was really surprised. It was kind of nice. A lot of people talked about us (I was Korra and my friend was Vanellope) we were looking for the gathering so anyone I heard talking about us, I walked right up to them and asked if they knew where the gathering was. I think they felt pretty embarrassed knowing that I heard everything they said.

One guy came by and asked how my friend made her skirt. Overall it wasn't that bad. There was a pretty weird instance though. We didn't know there was an improve college group? (I'm not sure exactly what they were). They were performing in the area we were shooting. One lady pretended to be crazy (or was... I don't know) and put seaweed on one of the cosplayers. We kindly asked her to not do that and (I hope in character) she flipped. Kept calling us a circus. I'm sure that doesn't happen to everyone that goes out in cosplay though lol. All in all we laughed it off.
Korra New Blue Outfit..Progress 100%
Secret Cosplay 2........Progress 0%
Korra Green Outfit.......Progress 0%

Conventions for 2015:
NorCal Winter (unofficial), Sac Anime Winter, AOD, Fanime

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #34
Shinigami Desu~

My friends and I have recently starting doing a lot of Homestuck meetups around our city, and the reaction are always priceless. We got a lot of stares, honking cars and giggles of course, and a couple people actually asked us what we were doing. A couple of women even asked us all for photos, and a few of my friends got dragged into wedding pictures. At our recent Promstuck meetup we went to Burger King, and one of the workers let us put horns on him and take pictures. Personally, I think cosplaying in public is really fun.

-Sailor Uranus

Anime North 2015 (Tentative):
-Fem!Vav: Rooster Teeth
-Arystar Krory: D.Gray-Man
Shinigami Desu~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #35
harmonyisarine

I've never been shy at all about wearing strange things in public (even though I'm actually very shy... it makes no sense, I know). I do make sure to not make a scene, I'm extra-polite, and I kindly answer any serious questions posed to me. Stupid ones (of the "too early for Halloween" variety and such) get silence or a "Really, is that all you can come up with?" depending on my mood.

I do love wearing non-normal things, though. I don't do it for other people or for a reaction or attention, I do it because I like whatever it is I'm wearing. Some are fun to wear, some are really comfy, some I don't know why but I never want to take off. One of my favorites to wear is Korra. Kids love her. I don't love kids, really, but even I can't resist that specific face they make when they see Korra. I call it the "Disney Princess/Superhero" face, as that's the only time I saw it before. I'm going to use shrinky dinks to make the symbols of the elements, so when I go up to them and ask "What's your favorite type of bending?" I have a place to take the conversation when I give them the corresponding keychain.

Korra's also really comfortable, so I'll wear the shirt, hair and boots for long car rides (it entertains me). People will honk and give me thumbs up through car windows, and kids will just go O_O at rest stops and have to be dragged away by their parents.
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #36
Talossa
We try hardcore!

I'll wear cosplay in public when there's not much of a choice. Such as, at a con, if there's an emergency and someone needs something right away, or on the way to a con if I'm already dressed and realize I've forgotten something critical. Once I wore it on public transit on the way to a con, as the con was nearby so I didn't see the point of having a room.

I've never done a photoshoot in a public area such as a park, but I'd be okay with that too.

In public just for fun though, I don't really see the appeal. It seems like more trouble than it's worth!
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #37
kuro-nee
Instant noodles eater

When I was younger and more broke, I used to wear my cosplay from home and head to the con on public transport. I got side glances, creeper shots and the whispering. But they usually stop when I wasn't doing anything "interesting". And then continue on in full costume back home. Now I just take a taxi to and fro. Its easier and not so bad on others and my props.

Its a norm for me to go for photoshoots in parks so I think my skin is thick enough not to bother about what others think anymore.
kuro-nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #38
CS3
wannabe world traveler

My cosplaying experience in public...it's alright. Depends who you are and where you're at. In public I mean miles or so away from the convention. There are positives like when a family and their young kids run up to you because they know who you are and ask for pictures with you This is what happened to me by myself.

In Dallas and on their little trains, nothing. A few quick looks but that was about it. People were helpful, no name calling, and no negativity was directed towards me.
In Seattle random street people were more "questioning" my appearance around downtown. I was on their airport train cosplaying too and no one on it even looked at me.
In Phoenix I got a few cars honking at me but hey that can be a positive? But nothing bad.
In Los Angeles & Hollywood on subways and streets, a lot of staring, laughs and "what are you supposed to be?" questions. But late at night no one payed attention to me.
In Tucson get ready....so much name calling, honking, whistling, and winking. If you're the kind of person that wants to fight people because they did any of the above to you in costume, go to Tucson.
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #39
iDorkMia
mywholeexsitenceisweird.

I have actually never cosplayed in public but I think it would be fun because .. Why not? I joked about cosplaying while being at Reno to my boyfriend and he just kept asking me why I would do that. My only explanation was "Maybe because I want to dress up. >:U" I would do it regardless of people acting all weird towards me. I wouldn't be much concerned with stares and whispers.

I am actually one of those people that would talk about people wearing cosplay in public. For the first time I saw a group of 3 girls cosplaying around Japantown and I kept fangirling over them, whenever I saw them I kept saying that I wanted to be like them. Had no idea who they were cosplaying as though.

I don't know .. That's just me.

Current projects-
Cure Peace[Planning Stage]
[Planning Stage]

Next con for me!
None. :c.
Help me find one in CA?

iDorkMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #40
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

Once I ended up walking my dog dressed as Riff from Godchild. I was trying on my Riff cosplay when my mom texted me asking if I could walk the dog before she got home. She was on her way and I had so many layers on I just went out dressed as Riff.
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Brokkenbroll-Un Lun Dun, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #41
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

This was taken the first time I went to a cosplay gathering in public! xD

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 95%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Lolita!Mikasa -AoT 25%
Hinata Hyuga - Naruto 10%
Yin - Darker than Black 35%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Cerise Hood - EAH
Madeline Hatter - EAH
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #42
AnimeAndMusical

I've done it a few times before and it was lots of fun

That being said, if it is your first time cosplaying in public, try not to go by yourself. I say that because the first time I did it was to a meet in a public place and I had a long way to walk in a complete, quite outlandish costume, I'm fine doing that now but for your first time I would advise to at least have a non-cosplaying friend with you.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #43
no-limit
There are No-Limits

Aha I do this a lot of the time ^^
I get stares, some laughs and some people taking secret photos on their phones.
Its when I took neko Ciel out, I had some kids following me, calling me a cat- it was adorable.

I love taking cosplay out in public and im definitely doing it when demon sebastians made ^^

My work? My plans? Come find: www.facebook.com/No-Limit-Cosplay
no-limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

Really even being at a con is being out in public....so we all do it at some point.
Now wearing a cosplay outside of a convention in an area where none to many con goers go that's a little different. In those cases you want to use your best judgment if you comfortable, safe, and don't mind odd looks then fine. If your uncomfortable, nervous, or feel unsafe I'd suggest against it.
Take into consideration that people will look at you a tad bit suspiciously since you will be dressed in an outlandish outfit and in some cases (not that all cosplayers are misbehaved creatures) you might be acting out which will put other people in the area on edge. Try to be polite, kind, and don't do anything to get yourself in trouble.

Now I have gone to out of con locations for photo-shoots where I get a lot of attention from passer-bys. Most of the time they are super interested in whats going on a why there is a photographer with me. We were even asked once if they were doing stills for a new movie. As far as going to the mall or stores in cosplay I don't do it and the reason I don't is simply because I don't care to. I go to cons that's enough for me I don't need to cosplay in order to go buy a CD or some new underwear.

~2015 Convention Schedule~
Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT
Another Anime Con, Manchester NH

Open for Commissions!!
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #45
ChibiDannimon

I cant even cosplay in my own home thanks to my parents hatred for all my geeky/nerdy passions. They got on my case just because I had an Anime character as the wallpaper of my phone.

2014 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Rosa/Mei - Pokemon Black and White 2
Finn - Adventure Time
Ben Tennyson - Ben 10 Omniverse
Takato - Digimon 03
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote