Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 07-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Corsets and Body Shappers?

So I thought of this after reading the thread about using shapers under a leotard..Didn't wanna hijack yet another thread, so I though I'd make my own. I've never used either, and have no idea what to do here. I had questions but there are kinda a lot so I'll get to the basics..

CORSETS:
1. My MAIN question on these, is, I know they have laces and/or hooks and/or zippers (at least one of the 3) and It always seems like when wearing one under something like a dress (mostly like my Lolita dress), wouldn't those parts like, make bumps? I don't plan on wearing look dresses, don't like them that way, but I want to look a bit thinner in the waist and don't want that to show through..

2. I've looked a little bit on crossdressing sites and so on and I can never find one big enough for me..Are there sites where I can get bigger ones? The main ones I seem to see are for people that wouldn't actually NEED them, but rather just want then for looks..Like, I think the biggest I found was about a 36in waist or something..Like, most guys can't fit that..And those are on cressdressing sites..

SHAPERS:
1. Another main question..How well do these actually WORK? I have had a shaper that was for men and it was a tank top style that was suppose to make you look thinner in the chest and tummy..It did..By half a goddamn inch..The size small was too small to put on, and the medium was the one that didn't do much..There obviously was no "in between" so I can see that didn't even work..Right now, I'm fat..I'll say it..lol It sux, but what can you do ya know..

2. How well would they be under a corset? I'd like to use both, maybe using the correct shapper will make it so I can get a smaller corset..I'm just not sure how this stuff works..

So that should be the main questions..

I know some stuff is gonna be confusing on this thread so I'll try to explain better once I get some replies..Also, if you think something needs to be explained a little easier to know what I mean exactly, feel free to ask me questions about what I mean to widdle down to the right answers.

Thanks
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
So I thought of this after reading the thread about using shapers under a leotard..Didn't wanna hijack yet another thread, so I though I'd make my own. I've never used either, and have no idea what to do here. I had questions but there are kinda a lot so I'll get to the basics..

CORSETS:
1. My MAIN question on these, is, I know they have laces and/or hooks and/or zippers (at least one of the 3) and it always seems like when wearing one under something like a dress (mostly like my Lolita dress), wouldn't those parts like, make bumps? I don't plan on wearing look dresses, don't like them that way, but I want to look a bit thinner in the waist and don't want that to show through..

2. I've looked a little bit on crossdressing sites and so on and I can never find one big enough for me..Are there sites where I can get bigger ones? The main ones I seem to see are for people that wouldn't actually NEED them, but rather just want then for looks..Like, I think the biggest I found was about a 36in waist or something..Like, most guys can't fit that..And those are on crossdressing sites..

SHAPERS:
1. Another main question..How well do these actually WORK? I have had a shaper that was for men and it was a tank top style that was suppose to make you look thinner in the chest and tummy..It did..By half a goddamn inch..The size small was too small to put on, and the medium was the one that didn't do much..There obviously was no "in between" so I can see that didn't even work..Right now, I'm fat..I'll say it..lol It sux, but what can you do ya know..

2. How well would they be under a corset? I'd like to use both, maybe using the correct shapper will make it so I can get a smaller corset..I'm just not sure how this stuff works..

I know some stuff is gonna be confusing on this thread so I'll try to explain better once I get some replies..Also, if you think something needs to be explained a little easier to know what I mean exactly, feel free to ask me questions about what I mean to widdle down to the right answers.

Thanks
Corsets:
1. Yes, it will create bumps under a leotard, because leotards are clingy by nature. A good steel boned corset will have laces and hooks or just laces (depends on the corset). Fashion corsets, which are usually boned with plastic ugh, tend to use zippers. They always look bumpy under clingy things like dresses and leotards. It's not pretty... (Good examples: some Jessica Rabbit cosplays. Corset is obvious :/ ) If you choose one that merely uses laces for tightening, you might or might not see bumps where the laces are tied assuming the front is flat/smooth. If you choose one with hooks, you probably should go with tiny eyelets over something like this. I own that corset; it's steel boned but I know it will be noticeably bumpy where the hooks are under something form-fitting or clingy. Have you tried waist-cinchers?!

2. XD I wear them cause they're sexy and slimming with pretty designs! I'm pretty dang sure drag queens use corsets and waist-cinchers. Have you tried a shop dedicated to just queens? I'm not sure how big a steel boned corset is made but obviously, they must make them for bigger biological ladies as well as queens.

Shapers:
1. I can't help here sorry!

2. A shaper under a corset should give you the effect you want, assuming the shaper is doing it's job or even making a difference on it's own and you have the corset as tightly laced as you can stand while allowing you to breathe easily. This might not be the most comfortable but it depends on how comfortable the shaper is, how comfortable the corset is over it since they tend to be on the thicker side and where you'll be going.

I hope this actually helps >_>

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post

CORSETS:
1. My MAIN question on these, is, I know they have laces and/or hooks and/or zippers (at least one of the 3) and It always seems like when wearing one under something like a dress (mostly like my Lolita dress), wouldn't those parts like, make bumps? I don't plan on wearing look dresses, don't like them that way, but I want to look a bit thinner in the waist and don't want that to show through..

2. I've looked a little bit on crossdressing sites and so on and I can never find one big enough for me..Are there sites where I can get bigger ones? The main ones I seem to see are for people that wouldn't actually NEED them, but rather just want then for looks..Like, I think the biggest I found was about a 36in waist or something..Like, most guys can't fit that..And those are on cressdressing sites..

SHAPERS:

Thanks
You are correct in thinking that a corset meant for decoration would make noticeable bumps and lumps underneath a tight fitting garment, but that is because they're meant for exactly that: decoration. The corset nowadays is meant to be shown off, even the expensive steel boned ones you can buy from professionals for the most part. They're meant to be worn in a way that will display them, whether that be actually as a top, or over-top something else. The type of corsets that were traditionally worn as undergarments looked a lot different than the ones you see, and the boning was much, much thinner, and the fabrics they were worn under were generally thick and form fitting in a tailored way, not in a clingy way. As to your second bullet, I think it is unfair to say that most guys have a waist larger than 36 inches. The retail store I work at has a large men's suiting section, we carry waist sizes 29-40 in trousers. There are only two sizes above 36 there, and we generally have to back stock the larger sizes too. I'm not saying people of your size are uncommon and don't exist (big and tall stores exist for a reason), I'm just saying you're probably not in the majority. 36 is a pretty good size as far as corsets go. My own female bodied waist is 26 inches, that's five whole sizes larger (while admittedly, I am very small). Anyways, you might want to look into getting one custom made. It will cost more, undoubtedly, but it will fit you and do the job you want it to do safely.

Now, the way shapers work is by compressing and smoothing out the tissue in certain areas, much in the way a chest binder works for transmasculine people/MtF crossplayers. They come in several different varieties, girdles, waist cinchers, panties, bodysuits, body briefers, torsettes and control top panthose. They all share a the same basic principles: high powered tightly weaved nylon/spandex blends with little give that are made to compress. They come in several different control intensities, from light to firm. Obviously, firmer the control is, the more compression you get. They aren't really made to work miracles, just to give a smoother appearance under clothes, and a nice overall shape. There are some waist cinchers that can take 2-3 inches of your waist, but they are usually more like corsets than anything in the fact that they are boned and do up with hooks and eyes. However, they're more like the undergarment corsets of old. Hardly decorative at all. Example. And yes, you could wear a corset over a shaper if it was as shaper without boning. I wouldn't want to wear boning on top of boning.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Reilala

Vedette shapers work quite well. I usually wear some hip pads beneath them for some crossplays and it really makes it looks like you have a nice ass and hips while slimming in the front a bit. Most fit a bit like a corset in the front due to clasp design and where the material is supposed to do the shaping.
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Thanks for the answers lol That helps a lot. I think the cincher is what I more meant lol I get things mixed up a little sometimes..They look the about same to me haha But yea not the things you see on like say, the goth girl in your class, but the stuff to slim down lol Sorry for being a tard there haha

I was looking at them online and they can't for the life of them show anyone wearing one that NEEDS one..They have the sexiest looking model girls wearing the shappers when they already look like that..so it's VERY misleading.

Anyway onto the shapers. Reilala, I'm looking that up now, thank you very much.

So, say I were to wear a shapper, and a cincher under my crossplay..
This is me in my Kyoko cosplay (you can see how big I am here the best):
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3410663/
Would it make it so my stomach doesn't push out like that? Not seeing models that NEED them makes it so I can't even see how well they work..Like if the ones for sale showed a before/after of the same person and they look about my size or close to (for reference to my own body), but wearing it in the after pic to show how good it works, then yea I probably wouldn't need to even ask anything here, but obviously companies don't like doing that..

EDIT:
Oh yea, totally forgot to reply here after I looked at those shapers lol
I looked like I said I was, and I noticed they are all the kind with straps in that brand..I couldn't find any without, which is more what I'd like. But still thank you
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)

Last edited by JasonTerror : 07-30-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Reilala

At first I thought the shoulder straps would be a nuisance, however, they really help keep the shaper up on your body if you do a bit of sitting down and standing up through out the day. The higher compression the shaper the more it will hold stuff in. I use a medium compression one and it isn't so tight it's uncomfortable. For sizing just make sure the measurements are close to your own. Too small and it might not be able to close too big and it wont compress much XD
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I can recommend a Vollers corset, but I'll warn you, it's going to cost a couple hundred. The sizes listed on a corset (in inches) are what they will cinch DOWN to. Wear a shaper underneath to keep from getting any sweat on the corset. Also, you have to break a corset in, so you can't simply pull it all the way on first thing.

You will have some slight bumpiness from a good one, but it's not going to be all that noticable.

Another thing, pull the laces to where they make loops from the middle of the corset so you can pull those and lace yourself in. You can tie them off in the front, on the side, or, if you're getting down to the maximum take in on the corset you can loop them around again and tie them around back. I do all three, depending on what I want to do and which one I am wearing (I have multiple corsets for my crossplay).

One thing I can't stress enough is to NOT go cheap on one. Get a real waist training one. Get one that is a little longer too, because you have a longer torso than a girl your height. Also, use both under and over bust depending on what you're doing. The pic I posted in the pass thread recently is with me using an underbust. I hope this helps some!

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
ArcaneSpringbrd

I'll second ImNewHere. Unfortunately, if you want a shaper that is really going to do it's job, it's going to cost a fair bit. For my crossplay, I'm really investing and actually getting a custom corset made. You don't have to go that far, but given that I'm quite big, there aren't any off the rack corsets that would fit me properly at all. It's actually going to cost me $800 once it's done, but it'll fit me perfectly.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

So I don't crossplay but I would like to say that shapers make a world of difference.
I wouldn't be caught dead at a con without a shaper. Not only do they work as spanks but they also just make you look better. (:
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh damnit, I knew I forgot about a thread lol Anyway, I started this thread right before my WiFi refused to let me on for some time, so I haven't been able to reply much on this site anyway lol

ANYWAY!!
Thank you all for this wonderful info. Heartbreaking info, but still..lol
I hate that it's gonna cost a good chunk of money I don't have, to do this untill I slim down enough..

I really wanna do a cosplay that using that stuff will really look nice with. It's Rubu from RWBY (this is a fanart, but still):
http://socialcos.com/albums/photo/vi...photo_id/44471
As you can see, she has a tiny as hell waist, but still that kind of outfit is extremey perfect to wear a corset with because it totally goes along with the theme haha Anyway, I'll have to save up a crap ton it seems. Here's to hoping I get a bunch of big commissions lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Hey, Jason, have you tried Corset Story? We buy our burlesque corsets from there ^_^ (And OH MY GOD THEY HAVE BLOOMERS *_* )

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I haven't lol thank you ^_^
Those look really nice. I wonder, This cosplay that I mentioned (Ruby from RWBY) has a corset looking piece on the outside of her dress. I wonder if I could just use a one of them there. Like a shaper under the dress and the corset OVER it. That a good idea? It's an underbust so obvioulsy I'b get that, but it's just a plain black lace up one..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

So, since I'm broke as crap and need just a fast visual fix that I won't wear outside cons anyway, would a cheap ebay thing work?

This one has a size that will fit me..They say inch sizes of what your waist actually is WITHOUT wearing them to see if it'll fit. It has what sizes are before and after wearing them. They will fit me in their biggest size..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Girdle-W...em3f15540 989
Does this seem good? They seem to have sold a crap ton of them as well as have a lot of possitive feedback..Or at least the good outways the bad..By a LOT lol

Anyway, I know it's a super cheap one, but for this and my next con at least should that work? It's only a few days outta the year lol

By the way, I'm not looking for a corset anymore, I can't afford them AND this and I'd rather have the cincher..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
ArcaneSpringbrd

I'd be shocked if that was strong enough TBH, especially if you're overweight. Not nearly enough bones and the busk looks fragile.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Thanks, that's sad to hear though lol I can't afford the good ones lol Are there any UNDER like $30 that someone could reccommend?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)