Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Metrocon

Unread 07-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Metrocon 2013: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on Metrocon 2013!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the guests, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's Metrocon!

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Zrigeist
Gentlemen, I like war

Overall, I'd say the con was okay. And just okay, nothing more or less.
The main event shows were good, but I didn't go to a single panel all weekend. I have a pretty wide range of interests, but none of the panels were relevant to any of them. There just wasn't a good range of fan panels this year.

Also, the lack of snacks/drinks in the vendor's room was annoying as well. Because then all that was left was to either pay for the overpriced stuff at the convention center, go to Starbucks, or haul your costumed butt into downtown. The men who run the game run informed me they were told they weren't allowed to sell Bawls at Metrocon anymore, and I don't know about you guys, but later through the con, I need an energy drink!

So Cons: No snacks/drinks, lack of panels, crowded halls, homestuck.

Pros: Cool shows.

The end~
Zrigeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
SunakoChan
Dobato!

I agree with Zrigeist. When I attend Metrocon, I look forward to seeing the "candy guys" in the dealers room. So, I was very disappointed when I found out that no food was allowed to be sold this year. I was also a little bored this time around due to the lack of great fan panels. I went to two and only one of those was informative. But, I did enjoy watching Anime Idol, the Chess match, and the cosplay contest, as well as a couple of the anime series being played. Other than that, I spent a lot of time in my hotel room due to all the breaks in between events and shows. It had me questioning whether I'll attend next year or not.
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Dealers have not been able to sell food in the hall for years, because the convention center doesn't want them taking the business away from the food vendors they have in the halls. Stinks, but that's just how it is.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
SoedBlackChaos
SoedBlackChaos

Unfortunately, the TCC has always had a rule about not allowing outside food and drink sales. It was like pulling teeth, but Metro finally convinced TCC to sell boxes of pocky at the concession-area they set up downstairs between the escalators. $2 a box isn't too bad, but it's a battle that they've been fighting for years, and after 8, they were barely able to convince them on the pocky front.
Metrocon 2009 Fireshow- Mai Shiranui
Metrocon 2010 Fireshow- Head Stagehand
Metrocon 2011 Fireshow- Performer

Need a costume? Collide
SoedBlackChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Zrigeist
Gentlemen, I like war

I always thought they did, but my con memories must be blurring and I'm mistaken.

All that aside, still doesn't take away how dull it was this year.
Zrigeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
DJ_Zephyr

The chess match was epic this year, definitely the high point (the first time I attended the chess match, the mics failed, and it was kinda lame... glad I gave it a second chance). There was even a group running a fencing ring near the artist alley, which was great fun. And whoever they had serving food did a really good job- never seen schezuan steak and egg rolls at a convention before!

I do regret not staying longer, tho it's my own fault for not checking the schedule better, both ahead of time and on site. It's definitely gotten more crowded, so ya gotta start getting in line for panels earlier or you won't get in at all.

Overall, a good show!
DJ_Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote