Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Shykid

Help painting some plastic props

I'm having trouble getting paint to stick on this Rubik's cube I'm painting. I'm making props for N from Pokemon Black/White (reference pic here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...oncept_Art.jpg).

I used Krylon Premium Metallic 18kt Gold spray (which DOES claim to work on plastic) to paint it, but the paint is flaking more readily than I'd like. So I'm thinking of starting over with a new Rubik's cube because the coat on the current one is at a point where not even sanding would save it. But I'm wondering about the best approach.

I know that you're supposed to sand plastic before you paint it to help the paint apply. Would that be enough? Or should I also get primer? I also figured that I should use something like Krylon's Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating to seal it because this prop will be in close contact with my clothes and I don't want gold paint flaking off on my clothes. A friend of mine also recommended I use Gesso as primer.

After looking up some tutorials and other forum posts, I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. Do I need both primer AND a finish? The finish sounds more important since I'm worried about stuff chipping off... but I'm not sure.

I'm also painting some plastic bangles yellow, which means I'll be wearing them, and I wasn't sure if the acrylic finish would be enough to prevent any paint from flaking off on my skin.

And finally, another prop I'm painting is made of rubber. I'm a bit worried that even plastic spray paint won't apply properly. Is there a way to make sure the paint coats this properly?

Thanks!

Last edited by Shykid : 07-29-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Shykid is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
cosplay_luvur

Well the primer helps fill in the little tiny voids and allows the paint to apply easier and better it also creates a stronger bond with the paint and allows for a better finish. The finish just determines how the paint will look, do you want it glossy or more of a not necessarily dull but "flat".

I kind of see it like I do painting a house. For kitchens and bathrroms they prefer you use semi-gloss, because the finish allows it to clean easier and won't chip off as easy if you used a flat or matte finish.

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with props but I'm sure it has the same concept. Try using a primer to help the paint stick better. If it doesn't work then maybe you need a different paint. Also check to see if your paint has a finish already in it, because then you may not need a finish just some primer.

Some finishes include flat, matte, semi-gloss, gloss, satin, etc.

Upcoming Costumes:
Meiko from Vocaloid: 20%
Priest Avatar Regalia from WoW: 5%
Cecile from Code Geass: 0%
cosplay_luvur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

the other thing is that u are using a metallic paint and that looses its shine if u try to clear coat it (no matter if its a matte or a gloss)
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Shykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosplay_luvur View Post
Well the primer helps fill in the little tiny voids and allows the paint to apply easier and better it also creates a stronger bond with the paint and allows for a better finish. The finish just determines how the paint will look, do you want it glossy or more of a not necessarily dull but "flat".

I kind of see it like I do painting a house. For kitchens and bathrroms they prefer you use semi-gloss, because the finish allows it to clean easier and won't chip off as easy if you used a flat or matte finish.

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with props but I'm sure it has the same concept. Try using a primer to help the paint stick better. If it doesn't work then maybe you need a different paint. Also check to see if your paint has a finish already in it, because then you may not need a finish just some primer.

Some finishes include flat, matte, semi-gloss, gloss, satin, etc.
What kind of primer would you recommend?
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

i personally like kryolan's plastic primer. but just makin sure, you took off the plastic stickers that color the sides of the squares right?
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Shykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
i personally like kryolan's plastic primer. but just makin sure, you took off the plastic stickers that color the sides of the squares right?
Do you have a specific name for the product? I've been looking around Krylon's site and Amazon, and they list a few different kinds. There's Krylon Fusion and a few other products that say they're primers.

And you know, I didn't think to remove the stickers. That's probably what caused a good deal of my problems now that you mention it...
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Krylon Fusion is designed to chemically bond to plastic. Their primer, or even the black Paint+Primer product, should work fine.

Having said that, you'll need to remove the old paint first. Layering new good paint on top of old flaking paint is going to just be a waste of time. Most of it will probably come off when you peel the stickers off, then a little effort with some sandpaper should take care of the rest.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Shykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Krylon Fusion is designed to chemically bond to plastic. Their primer, or even the black Paint+Primer product, should work fine.

Having said that, you'll need to remove the old paint first. Layering new good paint on top of old flaking paint is going to just be a waste of time. Most of it will probably come off when you peel the stickers off, then a little effort with some sandpaper should take care of the rest.
So I'm assuming this clear primer would do the job? And then I can just paint on top of it, right?
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

I go over my paint method in my blog for plastics. I always sand down to the bare plastic. Prime with Rustoleum filler primer (any will really work) allow to dry for at least 8 hours (prevents that cracking most people get). Spray paint layer, then weathering layer. Gloss coat is nice, but not usually necessary even with body contact. Just needs to fully dry and cure.

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...sdcc-2013.html

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...nime-2013.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Shykid

I'll give the Rustoleum primer a try. Thanks!