Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
TheCosplayFox
What the hell?

Critique Ren Fair Photo's and Photoshoot

I'm just a beginner looking to improve basically all I did was remove the noise from the photo's so I'd like critique.

Ren Fair Photoshoot

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...88186& type=3

Ren Fair Photo's

Other Photoshoot

I'd like some tips on shooting moving subjects as well me and my friends were trying to get photo's of him jumping and it was very difficult maybe I just need more practice but any help would be appreciated.

TheCosplayFox is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Brea
Business Student

I noticed that alot of your shots have alot of headroom meaning there is lots of space between the top-end of the frame and the top of the person's head. This is why the legs are cut off in many of your shots. If you can fill the frame more, you can capture the legs too! Unless you're aiming for a 3/4 body portrait, cut it off before the knees.

Otherwise, composition and focus seems good, I like the "flower frame" one. Just a tip or my preference: only post shots that you're proud of on your page, put other shots elsewhere (I saw a shot with eyes blinking ^_^" in there!).

TLDR: Fill the frame!

For moving/jumping subjects, aim for the highest shutter speed possible, and LOCK focus on your subject before taking the shot, and turn on continuous shooting on the camera so you can take multiple frames by holding down your shutter. You can also do this on single shot mode if you keep your finger on "half-way" shutter so the focus doesn't change when you "spam" the shutter multiple times. That may be too technical

Last edited by Brea : 07-30-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
TheCosplayFox
What the hell?

No I understood everything you said for the moving shots. I think the blinking pose might have been one that I thought made it look like the person was relaxing or looking down but maybe it looked bad lol. Anyways for the moving shots that's basically what I did do though I didn't know about the 2nd thing you said do you have anymore tips? It was just very hard for me to capture it at the right moment even with multiple frames going on.

Also thanks I didn't even notice that I was leaving a lot of space between the persons head and the top of the frame until you mentioned it just now.
TheCosplayFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
mixedmedia

Personally, I think many of the shots from the first and third links would have benefited greatly with the proper use of a small to medium sized reflector. Taking some of that surrounding or overhead lighting and bouncing it back towards your subject's faces would help with some of the slight underexposure in link 1 and the harsh shadows in link 3. Can be a pain and difficult to do without an assistant, especially if youre moving around alot, but theyre relatively cheap and its a helpful way to adjust some of the lighting without having to perform so much surgery via photoshop.
mixedmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
Brea
Business Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedmedia View Post
Personally, I think many of the shots from the first and third links would have benefited greatly with the proper use of a small to medium sized reflector. Taking some of that surrounding or overhead lighting and bouncing it back towards your subject's faces would help with some of the slight underexposure in link 1 and the harsh shadows in link 3. Can be a pain and difficult to do without an assistant, especially if youre moving around alot, but theyre relatively cheap and its a helpful way to adjust some of the lighting without having to perform so much surgery via photoshop.
Problems with reflectors: You need to slave an assistant unless you're tripoding which is
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
mixedmedia

Slave assistants are fine lol. A ring flash can help too.
mixedmedia is offline   Reply With Quote