Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
phantom000

Cosplaying anxiety

Okay picture this. It's the first day at a convention. You wake up in your hotel room, take a deep breath, you go into the shower and do your morning hygiene routine. You step out unpack your costume and put it on. You step in front of the mirror to make sure everything is in place and a voice screams out in your head 'what in God's green earth were you thinking you stupid idiot! You are going to look like the biggest fool that ever walked upright'

As someone who has never Cosplayed before I am worried i won't be able to get over that nervous hump and go out into the crowd. But if i don't i feel i will never forgive myself.

Did this happen to you? and how did you get over it?
phantom000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

From what I've heard, it's pretty normal for us newbies to get a little anxious when going to a convention, in costume or not. You won't be the only one there in costume and the others there will be accepting of that (After all, it is a anime/comic convention In the end, we're all just nerds showing our appreciation for a fandom).
If you're really worried, take your costume with you to the convention and put it on when you get there. Just remember to be safe and have lots of fun!
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Mae Bliss

I was kinda nervous my first time too, especially because I decided to wear a superhero costume which was tights and a leotard. I went to go out the door, and I was like "what are you doing?? why are you going outside without PANTS on, you crazy person??" But once you get there it's SO fun! Are you going with anyone? That helps a lot, since you pretty much have to go with the group. You could also watch some footage from other cons on youtube or something to get pumped, see all the excitement and everyone else in their costumes!
Mae Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
MirniMausi
Just live more

If you get insecure, why not think of all the good things that might happen on the con? Wearing your cosplay, you'll sure meet other fans who like the same stuff as you do. They might compliment your costume, take photos with you, have a nice chat or even become new friends.

Dont worry. I think even the most experienced cosplayer may not be so sure about what he/she is doing from time to time, but you won't experience all the great stuff that might happen if you don't take your chance. If you can imagine that it will be good, it will surely become true in the end. But if you are afraid, nothing will happen at all. Just enjoy yourself and make the best of whatever will come.

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I still get nervous before walking out into the convention.
But last year when I was Jack Sparrow for the first time, I was so nervous to go out in costume that I couldn't get my sash and belts on properly. I felt weird doing another character for the first time, and I was afraid that I would fail really badly at portraying a character other than Sweeney Todd (looking back at pics from that con, I actually did fail pretty badly tbh but whatever :P).

Anyways, it still takes me a while to get used to the convention environment and I am pretty shy for the first 20min that I am out at the convention. I usually won't make eye contact with anyone and I tend to just sit on my phone, pretending to make myself look busy so that no one talks to me, or I stick super close to the people I came to the con with because I feel pretty awkward for a while lol.
Your cosplay anxiety is nothing unusual and I'm sure you won't be the only person at the con feeling that way. I think a lot of cosplayers go through this, including people who have been doing this for years.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Swordmaster
Classy Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom000 View Post
Okay picture this. It's the first day at a convention. You wake up in your hotel room, take a deep breath, you go into the shower and do your morning hygiene routine. You step out unpack your costume and put it on. You step in front of the mirror to make sure everything is in place and a voice screams out in your head 'what in God's green earth were you thinking you stupid idiot! You are going to look like the biggest fool that ever walked upright'

As someone who has never Cosplayed before I am worried i won't be able to get over that nervous hump and go out into the crowd. But if i don't i feel i will never forgive myself.

Did this happen to you? and how did you get over it?

This totes happened to me for my first convention, but I sorta had other things on my mind, like my random roommate who I only met at the convention.

Really, though, it's nothing to worry much about (depending on the convention). Most conventions carry a certain sort of atmosphere that just lets you relax, have fun and meet new people. Think of it less as dressing up and more of 'being popular'. =P People are asking for pictures and you have so many conversations going that you can't keep up. If that isn't the case, then start some.

Then again, I was a big bundle of floofeh affection during my first convention, in cosplay. I got involved in a ton of things and there really wasn't much time to think.
Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

This actually happened to me the very first con and very first cosplay at that con. And we were only going to the pre reg pickup!! lol I was scared as hell. I hated my cosplay (it was actually not that great so I sold it). I looked in the mirror and was like "wtf, people won't talk to ME. What am I thinking". BUT I made my friend talk to me the whole way down to get my mind off the subject and it actually worked until I got outside..I got that moment where my heart got all fast and stuff, but I got to the corner light (about 10 steps from the door) and I heard "OMG!! MARLUXIA!! HIIII!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU MARLY!!!!!!" from behind. Turned around and saw 3 people smiling and waving at me happy as hell to see their favorite character. I instantly felt so much better.
Hope this little story helps you feel a little better it. The feeling of anxiety really does go away once you realize people DON'T think you're a fool lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I am nervous every time I put on my costume and especially for the first time. I wonder how people will react to it.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

I get kind of nervous each time I go to a con, more so if it's a convention I've never attended before. I don't like doing things alone, though, so I always have friends with me, which eases my anxiety.
With regards to cosplaying, while I was nervous about going out in a costume, it wasn't even an option for me not to dress up for my first con. It was just in my head I NEED TO COSPLAY!!! But I've just always loved dressing up, so...
Again, having friends with me totally helps.
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Ilafatyu
That guy

Every time I walk out of my hotel room in a new cosplay, even if it's Sunday morning and I've been dressed up all weekend, I still get all worked up. I've been cosplaying for forever. You just have to suck it up and do it, and you feel a lot more at home once you do.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik armor upgrade - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Nay Tamaru
w00t w00t :)

I still get anxious going out in cosplay although I've done it a few times. I found the best thing to help me is to convince others to also cosplay or put together a group cosplay with others that you know. I went to AX for the first time, largest convention I've ever attended, and I was nervous but I had my husband and others in cosplay so I didnt feel weird at all.
-Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail) - (season 1) first orange dress
-Kululu (Sgt.Frog) - fem human-version of Kululu, group cosplay
Complete List of all other future cosplay on my Facebook page

-Anime Expo (LA) 2014
-Anime Matsuri (Houston)
Nay Tamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Kelley
Devil of Details

Dude, I get over that voice's accusation every day of my life, cosplay or not.

Costumes actually make me less of a panicky anxiety time bomb because they take the pressure off you because you can somewhat dissociate and lots of other good things.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Hello Goodbye

The night before my first convention, and first time cosplaying, I panicked! I was already pretty nervous, and then, when a major part of my outfit fell apart, it was kind of the last straw. I was so close to crying! I was suddenly unsure if I wanted to go to the convention, let alone cosplay! Thankfully, my Mom managed to convince me that I would have an awesome time, and that I shouldn't waste hours of work by not wearing the costume even though the shoes looked pretty ragged, even after repairs. I ended up having an amazing time and loved cosplaying! As soon as I got to the convention, and saw how nice everyone was, I felt tons better. I'm so glad that I could get over my nerves and wear my cosplay, since it was a terrific experience!
Tamaki Suoh-Ouran Highschool Host Club (Complete!)
Haru-Tsuritama (Complete!)
Minami (Avatar!)- Baka and Test (10% Complete)
Other Ideas: Crona (Soul Eater),Lavi (D. Gray Man),Ginko (Mushi-shi), Finny (Black Butler), Kyo (Fruits Basket), Sue (Clover)

Last edited by Hello Goodbye : 07-30-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Hello Goodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
sandra03

haha well my first con is coming up (Otakon, woooo!) and I fully expect to have some anxiety. our hotel is a bit of a hike, which means going out into the general public and possibly taking mass transit in cosplay. and my friend/roommate was only going to cosplay for one day of the con, i'm doing a different one for each day. it dawned on me that i will feel really dumb if i'm the only cosplayer on the bus or train or walking down the sidewalk etc.. i mentioned it and she's throwing a couple of closet cosplays together so I won't feel totally ridiculous =3 we can be ridiculous together! lol. so i'm really relieved

but.. i do have some concerns about one of my outfits being a little over the top and more revealing than anything i'd normally wear in public. the other 2 are pretty tame. so my strategy is that i'm not going to wear the anxiety-inducing one on the first day. i'll do one of the more tame ones and will take note of all the people wearing waaaay more revealing outfits than what i'm planning, and will also be making mental notes that they don't all have perfect supermodel bodies but are enjoying themselves and maybe wearing a slightly revealing cosplay with confidence all the same. i'm gonna psych myself up, knowing that i won't be wearing anything that crazy compared to stuff i'm sure i'll see, and that my body issues are stupid and i should just suck it up and go with the flow like so many others.

and if all else fails i'll remind myself of all the time and work and money involved and that it would be a waste not to wear it (though the one i worry about didn't take any actual work, but it still cost me money, and time spent shopping for items)
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Padmik
mikky

Definitely. I get anxious just leaving my room on a normal day. I'm not particularly fond of attention. When I cosplay, it's a bit easier because I'm in costume and no one knows me. I haven't been a con alone yet, so that may change my opinion.

You kind of just deal with it? You're not the only person there having those same thoughts, whether new or old. Everyone's nervous when they cosplay because you're walking out in a costume and you know people are going to notice you.

[Tumblr] [CosBlog]

2014 Conventions
Shatterdome ATL, AWA
2014 Cosplays
Allison Argent (3x23) - Teen Wolf 100%
Mako Mori - Pacific Rim 100%
Rilakkuma kigurumi 100%
Levi (WoC) - SnK/AoT 95%
Fran (cover var.) - KHR! 99%
Haru (dolphin) - Free! 95%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote